Installation boot problems on Opteron 144, Asus A8R-MVP system

Old January 22nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Installation boot problems on Opteron 144, Asus A8R-MVP system

Trying to install a Linux OS on my new system:

AMD Opteron 144
Asus A8R-MVP
Corsair Value RAM 512x2 MB
Htachi 160 GB PATA drive

Tried Fedora Core 4 for AMD 64, starts to boot, and it hangs after a
few messages, with a "Kernel Panic" and some gibberish messages

Tried the Ubuntu live and install CDs, and it hung after starting to
boot.

Any clues? I've flashed to the latest BIOS too.

Regards

Old January 29th 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

For fedora core 4, this strange trick worked for me on dual opteron
system: when you get to the boot: prompt type "linux mediacheck"
without the quotes. The install then proceeds normally.
Cheers

Old January 30th 06, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Thanks! I tried it at it worked once. I was able to install FC4.

Now, in playing around and trying to get the ethernet card to work, I
accidentally replaced all my kernel versions with a new one
2.6.15-1.1828, and it refuses to boot, restarting the computer in an
infinite loop.

Now, when I try to boot with the same media I used last week, it hangs.
And this time "linux mediacheck", or for that matter any kernel
parameters I pass are being ignored. Hangs as before with a kernel
panic and warning that it can't mount some part of the file system.

Any idea why? I've spen the entire last week, trying to get it to work.
No wonder Windows is still popular.

Old January 31st 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Hi
It shouldn't have "replaced" your other kernel. Can you still get to
the grub menu? Try hitting a key there and you should get the full menu
with the other kernel/s listed. You should also still be able to boot
from the cd?
Cheers

Old February 2nd 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Thnaks,

Couldn't boot from the CD until I tried the "garbage" trick which I
read o some other board. (basiclaly on boot from media, type some
gibberish and enter, thn proceed to boot as normal)

Ended up reinstalling the damn thing one more time. trying to get a
kernel or build one that will work with my sound and gigabit ethernet
card, without success.

If I install a kernel (not replace this time ) it does not boot up,
althout the stock FC4 kernel does. Any idea what could be wrong.

- If I install a prebuilt rpm of a kernel, it just reboots after
starrting to boot
- I just built my own kernel using rpmbuild, and it hangs, with a

"VFS: Cannot open root device 'LVM00/root" or unknown block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)"

Any thougts?

Old February 4th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Hi
I don't know whether it is a really good idea to have the root partition
on a volume? Try putting in the actual device in grub.conf instead of
the "root=LABEL=" You might try a different disk partitioning scheme
where the root partition is not on a volume since that driver would not
load until later in the boot process.
Cheers