XP can't find hard drives to install

Old January 21st 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default XP can't find hard drives to install

When I try to install XP the setup says that it
can't find any hard drives.

The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.

One has an old version of XP that I want to
delete.

The instructions say that the CD should be on IDE
1.

I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the
bios.

The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS Features

It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the
drives on IDE1 to show up.

I've got another box with the same motherboard and
it's running fine but I have little idea why.

Old January 21st 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Have you loaded the raid / sata driver by choosing to hit F6 to install disk
driver in the early stages of the XP install?
Usually you need it ready on a floppy.

Old January 21st 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote in message

When I try to install XP the setup says that it
can't find any hard drives.

The CD is on IDE 1 and the drives are on IDE 2.

One has an old version of XP that I want to
delete.

The instructions say that the CD should be on
IDE 1.

I've tried to boot with RAID on and off in the
bios.

The bios only shows IDE 1 under Std, CMOS
Features

It seems RAID (hardware) has to be on for the
drives on IDE1 to show up.

I've got another box with the same motherboard
and it's running fine but I have little idea
why.

Thanks Andy. I'll have to buy a floppy since the
USB floppy won't work. Is there some help you can
give me for what files to copy from the CD to the
floppy? I'm sorry to be so lame.
: -)

Old January 22nd 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

Old January 22nd 06, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL family try this page for the
drivers...

http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm

Under RAID driver see the first download (unless you are running XP 64bit
then it will be the last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and hit F6
when prompted early in the setup.

Old January 22nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

"andy" wrote in message
I am assuming your board is of the GA-8I915PL
family try this page for the drivers...

http://uk.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I915PL-G%20(Rev%202.x).htm

Under RAID driver see the first download (unless
you are running XP 64bit then it will be the
last in that section). Load it onto a floppy and
hit F6 when prompted early in the setup.

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote
in message news:k4CAf.11781$JT.222@fed1read06...

Andy, It's a Gigabyte 915PL PX Turbo

Andy, that seems to have worked. I really
appreciate your help.
: -)

Old January 23rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Andy,
Do you have any idea why a hard disk would not let
the entire thing be partitioned? One drive is 80 G
but always leaves 8 Meg as unallocated so the
drives are different sizes. I wonder if this will
stop a mirror drive from working. I guess it has
to do with something I did with Drive Image or
Partition Magic.

Old January 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

This is always the case when formatting (have never bothered to find out
why! it is probably the disk cache area) and as long as the two drives are
the same overall size it will not affect RAID.

Please to know you are up and running.

Old January 23rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Andy, That's what's weird. They are both WD 80G
drives and one has the 8 meg unallocated and the
other doesn't, so I put the drive with the extra
space as the mirror. I hope it doesn't screw
things up. I know that the postition of some files
is really important.
Thanks again, so much
Ben Hoff