athlon 3200 64 bit

Old January 19th 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default athlon 3200 64 bit

hi
i have just bought a athlon 3200 64 bit computer from our local computer
fair, i try to know a bit about computers but am not sure about this:-in my
syste folder it states it is a 3200 64 bit but it is only showing 800MHz
surley this is not right?
also i can not get into my bios as they have password protected it.
any views welcome
andy

Old January 19th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

if you can not get into the BIOS..you are kind of messed up there...sounds
like it is running at less than the 200 it needs...the setup should be
200x11...all you could maybe do is reset the CMOS and see what happens...or
contact who you bought it from and tell them to fix it...it is not as
advertised...personnally..I'd do the latter.

Old January 19th 06, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:06:10 +0000, andy pandy wrote:

hi
i have just bought a athlon 3200 64 bit computer from our local computer
fair, i try to know a bit about computers but am not sure about this:-in my
syste folder it states it is a 3200 64 bit but it is only showing 800MHz
surley this is not right?
also i can not get into my bios as they have password protected it.
any views welcome
andy

It's right. The Athlon 64 has a feature called Cool and Quiet which allows
the clock speed to be reduced when the CPU is lightly loaded, the clock is
scalable between 800MHz and 2GHz on your part.
Old January 20th 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"dino" wrote in message
. ..
if you can not get into the BIOS..you are kind of messed up there...sounds
like it is running at less than the 200 it needs...the setup should be
200x11...all you could maybe do is reset the CMOS and see what
happens...or contact who you bought it from and tell them to fix it...it
is not as advertised...personnally..I'd do the latter.

Actually it's supposed to be a 10x cpu. But I think cool'n'quiet should set
it to 5x, not 4x, so if I'm right it should read 1000 not 800 when idling. I
tried mine at 4x and it crashed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/