X2 cooling advice

Old January 13th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default X2 cooling advice

I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
is there a better one that I should get?

Thanks,

--
Don

Old January 13th 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Don Burnette wrote:
I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
is there a better one that I should get?

Thanks,

Others have opined that the stock fan at 70mm makes too much noise for
them. Suggestions have included a 80mm to 70mm fan adapter and a nice,
quiet 80mm fan.

Another suggestion is a different cooling fan and heatsink. This is a
nice one I use myself:

If you are planning on any significant overclocking, then more exotic
cooling solutions may better suit your needs, such as:

Let us know your results.

p00lb0y
Old January 13th 06, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

PB wrote:

Don Burnette wrote:
I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient,
or is there a better one that I should get?

Thanks,

Others have opined that the stock fan at 70mm makes too much noise for
them. Suggestions have included a 80mm to 70mm fan adapter and a nice,
quiet 80mm fan.

Another suggestion is a different cooling fan and heatsink. This is a
nice one I use myself:

If you are planning on any significant overclocking, then more exotic
cooling solutions may better suit your needs, such as:

Let us know your results.

p00lb0y

Hi
Mine has an 80mm fan as standard? Runs at 2860rpm...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~figjam5...2_4400_CPU.jpg

CPU idles around 29 C and up to 41 C when running two instances of prime (OS
is SUSE Linux 10 64Bit) no overclocking yet.....

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°
Old January 13th 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

Are the heatsink/fans that come with these new X2 processors sufficient, or
is there a better one that I should get?

Thanks,

I'm using this cooler on the same setup (4400+ on an MSI K8N Neo4)

Thermaltake A1838
Old January 13th 06, 08:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

It doesn't say that this board supports X2

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=637

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old January 13th 06, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:06:46 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

I am about to order some parts from Newegg to upgrade my system, will
probably go with the MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and an X2-4400 processor.

It doesn't say that this board supports X2

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=637

Whoops, I jumped in too early there. The page below shows which bios does support
the X2-4400

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...t.php?type=119

--
Regards - Rodney Pont