One more question

Old January 12th 06, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default One more question

Okay, I decided to go with this system from Cyber Power Systems. If I pull
one stick of slower 512MB RAM from my current PC and put in the new one I
will be receiving shortly, will in cause the two sticks of dual-channel DDR
400 3200 RAM to run at a slower speed?

I really appreciate all of your replies and help, they have been invaluable
to me.

--
WooHoo2You

a.. CASE: ALUMINUM X-Navigator Server 420W W/ Window & Temp Dis,Fan Control+
3 Swapable Face [+14] (BLACK w/ Blue, Black, & Silver Face Plate)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
a.. CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
a.. FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
a.. FLOPPY: NONE
a.. FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]
a.. HDD: 200GB Hard Drive [+36] (SATA150 - Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Hard Drive)
a.. MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID
Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+88]
a.. MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+60]
(Corsair Value Select)
a.. SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
a.. VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6800 XT 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+117]

Old January 12th 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Unmatched sticks may not run in dual channel properly. You just have to try
it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old January 12th 06, 10:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Unmatched sticks may not run in dual channel properly. You just have to
try it.

I already have two sticks running in dual-channel mode, however I have seen
conflicting information online saying it will cause all the RAM to run at
the speed of the slowest stick. (i.e. the weakest link in the chain)
Basically, will it hurt me to add another 512 MB of ram that is not of the
same quality.

--
WooHoo2You

Old January 12th 06, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

3 sticks of 512 will either go back to single channel or not run at all. It
should show allowed socket populations in the motherboard manual.

If you mean, you will use two dual channel kits of 2 x 256, then since they
don't match they may not run in dual channel. If they do, you can run them
at the speed of the slow ones. If they're all pc3200 they may default to
pc2700, which K8's can tend to do with 4 sticks, but you can try setting
them to pc3200 manually and see if they can pass memtest86 overnight, or
even boot up. My board accepts it, no problem.

However, when you set it manually to pc3200 it may mistakenly keep tighter
timings that it may have set while on auto at pc2700. So, I'd write down
what it chose for pc3200 before starting in with the 4 sticks. Then, lock
them in by going to manual. After manually setting pc3200, check up on
them -- you can set them all manually from the paper. Had to do that on
mine. The memory actually ran ok on the tighter timings, but memtest
pronounced it slower than with the looser timings!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old January 12th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Ed Light" wrote in message
[...]

Pardon the interruption for what may be a "dumb" question.
I've recently added a second pair of matched 512 meg PC4000 modules to my
A8V Deluxe.
It now sports 4 512 Meg modules (all same mfg and specs).
When I look in my BIOS, the setting for the memory is "Auto" and I can't
figure out how to see what speed it's actually running at. I realize that I
can set it manually, but is there some utility that will show the actual
speed?
I've got my 3200+ Winchester running at 2.5 GHz.
FWIW, I don't perceive and reduction in performance in normal use.

Old January 12th 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Pardon the interruption for what may be a "dumb" question.
I've recently added a second pair of matched 512 meg PC4000 modules to my
A8V Deluxe.
It now sports 4 512 Meg modules (all same mfg and specs).
When I look in my BIOS, the setting for the memory is "Auto" and I can't
figure out how to see what speed it's actually running at. I realize that I
can set it manually, but is there some utility that will show the actual
speed?
I've got my 3200+ Winchester running at 2.5 GHz.
FWIW, I don't perceive and reduction in performance in normal use.

The BIOS will display the speed during the boot process. It goes by fast
but you should be able to catch it as it goes by. If you have it set to
auto chances are that the speed will be 166MHz assuming that your DIMMs
are double sided. If they are single sided then the speed will be set to
200MHz.

Old January 13th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Peter van der Goes" wrote

Pardon the interruption for what may be a "dumb" question.
I've recently added a second pair of matched 512 meg PC4000 modules to my
A8V Deluxe.
It now sports 4 512 Meg modules (all same mfg and specs).
When I look in my BIOS, the setting for the memory is "Auto" and I can't
figure out how to see what speed it's actually running at. I realize that
I can set it manually, but is there some utility that will show the actual
speed?

Yes, cpuz.

I've got my 3200+ Winchester running at 2.5 GHz.
FWIW, I don't perceive and reduction in performance in normal use.

It wouldn't be much. Maybe 5% at the most. The K8 has such fast memory
access, which is the main thing.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old January 13th 06, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Ed Light" wrote in message
newsjDxf.8937$jR.2647@fed1read01...

"Peter van der Goes" wrote

Pardon the interruption for what may be a "dumb" question.
I've recently added a second pair of matched 512 meg PC4000 modules to my
A8V Deluxe.
It now sports 4 512 Meg modules (all same mfg and specs).
When I look in my BIOS, the setting for the memory is "Auto" and I can't
figure out how to see what speed it's actually running at. I realize that
I can set it manually, but is there some utility that will show the
actual speed?

Yes, cpuz.

Thanks very much! Now, CPUZ tells me the following on the Memory tab:

Frequency 125.0 MHz
FSBRAM CPU/20

How do those numbers relate to PC3200, PC4000, etc.?

Old January 13th 06, 02:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:04:19 -0600, Peter van der Goes wrote:

"Ed Light" wrote in message
newsjDxf.8937$jR.2647@fed1read01...

"Peter van der Goes" wrote

Pardon the interruption for what may be a "dumb" question.
I've recently added a second pair of matched 512 meg PC4000 modules to my
A8V Deluxe.
It now sports 4 512 Meg modules (all same mfg and specs).
When I look in my BIOS, the setting for the memory is "Auto" and I can't
figure out how to see what speed it's actually running at. I realize that
I can set it manually, but is there some utility that will show the
actual speed?

Yes, cpuz.

Thanks very much! Now, CPUZ tells me the following on the Memory tab:

Frequency 125.0 MHz
FSBRAM CPU/20

How do those numbers relate to PC3200, PC4000, etc.?

125MHz is very low, thats PC2000. PC3200 is 200MHz, PC4000 is 250MHz. I
really doubt that the speed is 125MHz, I would have expected 166MHz which
is PC2700 and is the standard speed for a system with 4 double sided
DIMMs. The best way to find out the speed is to watch the BIOS screen
during a boot, the speed will probably be displayed.

Old January 14th 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:04:19 -0600, Peter van der Goes wrote:

125MHz is very low, thats PC2000. PC3200 is 200MHz, PC4000 is 250MHz. I
really doubt that the speed is 125MHz, I would have expected 166MHz which
is PC2700 and is the standard speed for a system with 4 double sided
DIMMs. The best way to find out the speed is to watch the BIOS screen
during a boot, the speed will probably be displayed.

Thanks very much for enlightening me!
I have it running at 166 MHz with manual settings, but (as you predicted) it
doesn't want to go higher.
I have a second PC (A8N-E equipped) with two 1 Gig modules running the
memory happily at 200 MHz.
Is the speed reduction a limitation of my, now elderly, Winchester CPU ? If
so, do newer cores allow for "full speed"?