Watercooling newsgroup ?

Old July 20th 03, 06:47 AM
Phil Weldon

Default Watercooling newsgroup ?

How about accoustic cooling? This method likey has more promise for CPU
cooling than what we have loosely been calling 'water cooling' when what we
are really doing is using a fluid (water) to transport heat by forced
convection from a CPU to a radiator and fan. A suitable heatpipe and
convective air heat transport is much simpler that using a water loop -
unfortunately these heat pipes are less common and not easy (or safe) to
tinker with.

Or direct fluid impingment on the silicon die?

Or fluid channels and pumps etched into the silicon die?

Or semiconductors with a better performance than doped tellurium/bismuth?

Phil Weldon,

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
..
..
..
Exactly, watercooling has passed the fad phase and is maturing, finding

new
uses and becoming available to a bigger public....

..
..
..

Old July 20th 03, 12:09 PM
Neil

best thing to do is start it up and see how it goes.

Neil

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
David Maynard wrote:

Watercooling? Watercooling is passe' and the latest wizmo gizmo is
refigeration cooling. I kid you not.

Refrigeration cooling has been around for quite a while but,
nevertheless, I'm not sure he intended the group's focus to be
'latest fad' cooling anyway.

Exactly, watercooling ahve passed the fad phase and is maturing, finding

new
uses and becoming available to a bigger public. Afordable, easy to use,
watercooling solutions are now becoming available to the greater mass for

faster or a quieter computer.
I've gotten some nice reponses in private emails as well as promises of
supporta dn promotion of the newsgroup IF created. But as Phil pointed out
there's the question of how viable a new separate newsgroup is volumevise.

haven't seen much open support (ok, not resistance either) from the
newsgroups it relates to yet so I'm holding my desission for now as to
wether I should go through with the ng creation.

So, to you who read this and frequent these newsgroups, would YOU read and
post to a dedicated watercooling newsgroup, would you be against a split

for
any reason?

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 20th 03, 02:55 PM
Thomas Andersson

Phil Weldon wrote:

Exactly, watercooling has passed the fad phase and is maturing,
finding new uses and becoming available to a bigger public....

How about accoustic cooling? This method likey has more promise for
CPU cooling than what we have loosely been calling 'water cooling'
when what we are really doing is using a fluid (water) to transport
heat by forced convection from a CPU to a radiator and fan. A
suitable heatpipe and convective air heat transport is much simpler
that using a water loop - unfortunately these heat pipes are less
common and not easy (or safe) to tinker with.

Or direct fluid impingment on the silicon die?

Or fluid channels and pumps etched into the silicon die?

Or semiconductors with a better performance than doped
tellurium/bismuth?

Eh? What does these have to do with the proposed newsgroup? What are you
trying to say?

Old July 20th 03, 02:57 PM
Thomas Andersson

Neil wrote:

best thing to do is start it up and see how it goes.

I kinda agree with the people in alt.config about that, why start it up if
it will be empty. Why cause a split and then have the group die (not that I
think it will). Before I go forth and actually create it I want to hear more
from the people that will (hopefully) actually use it...

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 20th 03, 06:16 PM
CoCo

hi

i can use it, but a empty ng is pointless....
we(you) need a ng + a working forum somewhere....

coco

Old July 20th 03, 08:36 PM
Phil Weldon

'CoCo' wrote "...i can use it, but a empty ng is pointless.... we(you) need
a ng+ a working forum somewhere..."

Now that is a comment on point - a moderated newsgroup would be useful, and
likely grow, if only because noise is reduced. But then who decides what is
signal and what qualifies as noise?

Phil Weldon,

Old July 21st 03, 03:51 AM
David Maynard

Phil Weldon wrote:
Since usage is a problem, why not consider broader coverage, and include all
cooling methods other than heatsink/fan?

Perhaps the reason you don't understand what my post has to do with the
proposed newsgroup is that you concatenated part of your post with my post,
placing it ahead of my reply, then bottom-posted.

He put the post in proper time sequence and quoted it completely and accurately.
It could not have been better done.

The reason he asked is because his mindset is on his proposed topic of "water
cooling" and your comments on alternate methods didn't, to him, seem to apply to
THAT topic.

Your point about expanding the scope is, of course, reasonable but the cheap
shot about posting methodology isn't worthy of your normally logical style.

Phil Weldon,

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in message
.
.
.

Old July 21st 03, 10:07 AM
Phil Weldon

Well, you asked for suggestions... those were my ideas of how to ensure a
greater volume of interesting posts. I suggest you do a literature search
on the cooling methods I mentioned. I believe you will find the CPU design
engineers are very concerned with high heat flux CPU's and other fast, small
feature size integrated circuit chips with ~ 10^8 switches operating
simultaneously. These other solutions will necessarily be main stream in
just a few years. It is not that 'water cooling is passe'; it is that Intel
want a more reliable system, and few users want a puddle on their desktop.

Phil Weldon wrote:

Since usage is a problem, why not consider broader coverage, and
include all cooling methods other than heatsink/fan?

Other thasn heatsink/fan? Those aren't included at all as the new

newsgroup
I'm suggesting is for watercooling.My definitions might not be the best or
most correct ones, but is the one I'm using. It goes: the HSF solution is
the basic/default solution used for any computer and most overclocking.
Watercooling is a more specific and alternate solution (but a pretty broad
subject in itself). As it's also used for non-overclocking solutions it
grows.

Perhaps the reason you don't understand what my post has to do with
the proposed newsgroup is that you concatenated part of your post
with my post, placing it ahead of my reply, then bottom-posted.

That would imply that I didn't read before I answered, surely you give me
more credit than that? What I didn't understand is why you brought up some
very exotic adn probably almnost unused cooling solutions into a

discussion
about the eventual creation of a wc newsgroup.
If you by that meant create a new newsgroup about ALL cooling I think it's

very bad idea as that would be to broad a subject that heavily clashes

with
the existing overclocking groups. I see no point in splitting a newsgroup

in
to two general groups basically oin the same topic, if there's to be a

split
it is to single out a specific topic for separate discussion.

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 21st 03, 10:25 AM
Thomas Andersson

Phil Weldon wrote:

Well, you asked for suggestions... those were my ideas of how to
ensure a greater volume of interesting posts. I suggest you do a
literature search on the cooling methods I mentioned. I believe you
will find the CPU design engineers are very concerned with high heat
flux CPU's and other fast, small feature size integrated circuit
chips with ~ 10^8 switches operating simultaneously. These other
solutions will necessarily be main stream in just a few years. It is
not that 'water cooling is passe'; it is that Intel want a more
reliable system, and few users want a puddle on their desktop.

Well, all liquid based forms of cooling, no matter what shape they take, are
welcome

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 25th 03, 07:41 PM
mrbingley

David Maynard wrote:

So, to you who read this and frequent these newsgroups, would YOU read and
post to a dedicated watercooling newsgroup?
Best Wishes
Thomas

Yes.

Chris

Which newsgroup for hard disk problems bas General 3 December 19th 04 01:49 AM
Watercooling, peltiers etc,.. Moods Overclocking 5 February 3rd 04 09:41 AM
Watercooling what fluid Dinger Overclocking 8 December 25th 03 12:11 AM
watercooling Eric R. Overclocking 2 December 24th 03 02:15 PM
Watercooling newsgroup ? Phil Weldon Overclocking 14 August 9th 03 03:14 PM