GA-K8U-939 cant load or start windows xp pro

Old December 28th 05, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Default GA-K8U-939 cant load or start windows xp pro

Greetings all,
I just installed my son's Christmas motherboard/chip. (Amd 64, GA-K8U-939,
512k ddr, ATI Radion X700, 2 HDD, 2 CD rom.) When I put the mobo and new
chip in, I fdisk, repartioned and formatted C. Broke C into two new
partionions, C: 20G and D: 20G, then intalled WinXp onto C. After most of
the installlation, the OS tries to reboot as it normally does. When this
occurs, instead of going to the rest of the OS set up/finalization, I get
either a fatal error blue screen indictating HDD controller issues or a
virus asking me to run checkdisk /f, or a boot to the "windows was not shut
down properly....boot to safe mode, normal, ect."
The machine will boot to safe mode, but never to normal.
Thank you in advance for your help and time,
Dave

Old December 28th 05, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

I neglected to add I am running the HDD from the IDE1, not SATA, and I do
not have RAID set up.
Thanks again,
Dave

Old January 2nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Run IBM's DFT (drive fitness test) utility or the Hitach equivalent, then do
a full scan of the HDD. If errors are found, replace drive; if not, reformat
and reinstall. "DFT download" on Google will get you the utility.

t...

Old January 3rd 06, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

thank you for the info.
Dave