Geforce 6xxx Series are they really OK ?

Old December 18th 05, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Geforce 6xxx Series are they really OK ?

Hi, i repost a new thread, because i'me very anger with the Cameleon....

i think 6600 and 6800 AGP are bull****, everywhere you see some guys who
have problems during 3D games.....My Leadtek 6600GT is as the others, work
fine during 6 month and now, when screen saver or anything else working in
D3D the PC slow down and freeze....
I've try many things picked up on forums :
desactivate Fast Write, sideband adressing, force AGP aperture size to 256
in bios, replace thermal pad with artic silver5 on HSI bridge and to GPU
heatsink, change my 2700 DDram to a new one 3200, refresh the Video card
with a new fan additional, leave the case open.......it's always the same,
SLOW DOWN and FREEZE.....
today, i've played one hour with Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault, no
freezing, i though i't was OK, just 5mn with Microsoft Plus ! Screen saver
====== slow down and freeze, i'v just had the time to control riva turner
and speedfan monitoring, nothing was overheated, and now i think really
those GPU are Big **** ! But wich one for remplacement ???? I was always
happy with Nvidia TNT2, Geforce 2MX , Geforce 2 GTS, Geforce4 MX 400 and
Geforce 4 TI 4200 worked fine, but now i'm very disapointed with Nvidia
Tomorrow i'll try to get Zalman ZM VHS1 and VF700 CU, but i'm pretty sure
it's timeless and money lost.......

--
Roswellbob

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Sylvestre/
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gastounet/Arsouille/

Attached Images

Old December 19th 05, 08:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

There's something wrong with the 6xxx series, but I can't tell
what it is. I have tried everything I can think of on two systems
using GF 6800 cards ... one is AGP, one is PCI-e. Both are
in new computers running WinXP with SP2, and all patches.
Personally, I think it is drivers. All last year, the Far Cry players
begged nVidia for compatible drivers, and they just never came.
I think the present drivers are a kludge, and still garbage. I am
seeing some of the weirdest problems with these 2 new 6800s
that I have ever seen. None of those problems are predictable,
and they only occur in 3D games ... where the cards were meant
to be used.

johns

Old December 19th 05, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"johns" wrote in message
oups.com...
There's something wrong with the 6xxx series, but I can't tell
what it is. I have tried everything I can think of on two systems
using GF 6800 cards ... one is AGP, one is PCI-e. Both are
in new computers running WinXP with SP2, and all patches.
Personally, I think it is drivers. All last year, the Far Cry players
begged nVidia for compatible drivers, and they just never came.
I think the present drivers are a kludge, and still garbage. I am
seeing some of the weirdest problems with these 2 new 6800s
that I have ever seen. None of those problems are predictable,
and they only occur in 3D games ... where the cards were meant
to be used.

johns

Not The Way It's Meant To Be Played, I guess.

Old December 19th 05, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On the PCI-e card, I can get very good play in Far Cry
if I stick to AA 4x, Anti-Iso 1, Texture Medium, and the
rest of the settings to High only. Nothing can go to
Very High after the Bunker level. However, the first
levels before Bunker play beautifully ????? Why??
Bunker level totally craps out if I use Very High
settings. Amazing. It almost has to be a driver
issue, or a Dx issue. This is a 256 meg card too.
The 128 meg card crapped out much earlier with
lots of screen stuttering. That is ram. The PCs I'm
using are an AMD64 3000+ with 1 gig ddr400, and
a Dell 9100 P4/64 with 1 gig ddr2. Nothing wrong
with either of them for gaming. It is obviously
a limited card with driver issues and memory leaks.
My ATI 9800 Pro still kicks the crap out of both
of those 6800s in Far Cry. I think nVidia needs
to get off its royal butt, and quit bragging about
their stupid cards and fix these problems. Other
wise, guys like me, the techs out here, are
going to quit pulling our punches. Right now, an
nVidia GF 6800 ( any flavor ) cannot top an ATI
9800 Pro in Far Cry. Why is that? Maybe ATI
gives a damn.

johns

Old December 20th 05, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Roswellbob wrote in message ...
[...]

I think it would be cheaper for you to just disable the screen saver?

Old December 20th 05, 11:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Paul Goodhew" schrieb

[...]

Full Ack.
Life is a Workaround.
Save even more money and let your monitor switch-off automatically (Energy
Options in the Screensaver menu) after 10 minutes or whatever you had set
your screensaver before.

Cu, Michael

Old December 20th 05, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Pour occuper son temps libre "Michael Tipotsch"
nous a gentiment octroyé la missive :

et y développa le thême de :

Full Ack.
Life is a Workaround.
Save even more money and let your monitor switch-off automatically
(Energy Options in the Screensaver menu) after 10 minutes or whatever
you had set your screensaver before.

Bad experiment about it, i had a IIyama master Pro451 who did not like it,
TFT was down under three years.....

Old December 21st 05, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"johns"
Right now, an nVidia GF 6800 ( any flavor ) cannot top an ATI
9800 Pro in Far Cry. Why is that? Maybe ATI
gives a damn.

johns

Your statement is full of ****.
I have a 9800 Pro 128 meg (built by ATI), 6800-128 meg and 6800GT 256 meg,
and in either a P4 3.0E or A64 X2 4800+ both with 2 gigs PC3200 in dual
channel, the 6800's are faster than the 9800 Pro in Far Cry, Half-Life 2 and
Doom3. One other thing, the 6800's are faster in 1280x1024 with all the
goodies on than the 9800 Pro is in 1024x768 with all the goodies on. I've
got the 9800 Pro and 6800GT here and have seen how well they perform in
these games. While the 9800 Pro isn't shabby, it sure isn't going to put
even the 6800 128 meg down.
Drivers. I've had far more problems with the 9800 Pro and drivers than I
have *ANY* card I've owned except a Matrox Millenium G200 32 meg AGP card.
Of all the ATI cards I own or have owned, the 8500 128 meg was by far the
most stable of the entire lot with any driver set.
You THINK ATI cares? Neither they nor Nvidia really give a care about us as
individuals OR what we go through with their products/drivers. They care
about market. If they do something that threatens their market value, they
jump through hoops to fix it immediately. US? Take a number, get in line
and here's a pacifier.
McG.

Old December 21st 05, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

So is yours. ATI builds all ATI cards .. so you don't know
what you are talking about right in the first sentence. nVidia
only builds chipsets, and they don't make any of their cards.
That means the 6800s are made by just about anybody,
and there are good ones, and there are bad ones of the
same model. So who makes the good ones ?

johns

Old December 23rd 05, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"johns" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
So is yours. ATI builds all ATI cards .. so you don't know
what you are talking about right in the first sentence. nVidia
only builds chipsets, and they don't make any of their cards.
That means the 6800s are made by just about anybody,
and there are good ones, and there are bad ones of the
same model. So who makes the good ones ?

johns

Nvidia only builds the GPU, but Nvidia makes a reference design for the
cards as well.
All the card-manufacturers use this reference design, eventually with very
minor changes.
In my opinion the biggest weakness of the 6xxx are their high temperatures,
but it seems this problem is solved with the 7xxx.

Cu, Michael