Leadtek PX6600 GT Extreme over temp with Artifacts when Need For Speed Most Wanted is Played

Old December 15th 05, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Leadtek PX6600 GT Extreme over temp with Artifacts when Need For Speed Most Wanted is Played

To Who It May Concerns
==================
Please be carefully that when u got the Extreme or GT version of this
card/NV43 chip ( I got it 2 months after product launch).
As you play normal, old generation games, u are safe. U will not observe any
artifact. U may get some for the extreme version if u run 3Dmark2005 demo
for sometimes at Leadtek default clock of 550MHz. Safe to down clock to
530MHz to let the artifact disappears.

The world changed when you got a copy of Latest Need for Speed Most Wanted.
If you turn on all the features to medium or high, even you clock it at
nVidia default of GT 500Mhz, you still can see the artifact.
I have to download to 400MHz to have to games played.
The temperature displayed by nVidia driver utility is over 80°C!!! raised
from nominal of 60°C.
I am not sure why nVidia put a setpoint alarm of 145°C there. for
sterization for medical tools only need 125°C. Bug free?!

I only can said that the old games may not use all the features set of the
chip, so peaceful to use.
But the new game is fully featured, almost all the 100millions transistors
are switching.
Depending on how good TSMC 0.11µm process Isat at. It sucks huge amount of
current when 3D core is turned on. and raised the temperature super high
toward boiling point!!

If the games are released a yr after the product launch, our warrantly may
be over.
What we can do is to get new one, may be 7800, still TSMC 0.11µm!!!! But
lower clock!!. Should be safe from artifact.

I am going to return mind to Leadtek as it cannot perform to it
specifications that it declared for sales.
Hopefully there is no clause to say that for current games available only,
and no warrantly for any future release games!!!

I believe the chip has to be tested at 125°C and passed both sort and final
test.
Hopefully not room temperature (22°C) or 75°C!!
I expect them to qual their product at 125°C and run intensive applications
for 1000 Hrs continuously without any failure before taking the product to
sell to us!!!

All The Best.
ROBIN