GeForce 6200 and ATI Rage XL Removal

Old December 12th 05, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default GeForce 6200 and ATI Rage XL Removal

I've got an IBM eServer xseries 225 8649 type running XP Pro with SP2.
This system comes with a 7505 Intel Chipset with an on-board video
mini-pci ATI Rage XL PCI card. I would like to upgrade it to a Nvidia
G-Force 6200 graphics card that I have fitted into the AGP Pro slot on
the board but I only get 16-color (4-bit) video and the following error
in device manager:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
other devices on this system.

I have tried everything to remove all traces of the ATI drivers
(including Driver Cleaner!) but to no effect. I have even remove the
Rage XL mini pci card from the board but it still gives me the Code 12
error. I have check the BIOS configuration settings and I can't find
any way to point the video adapter at a PCI slot as there is with some
intel chipsets.

Perhaps it's just not possible to upgrade to a different graphics card,
but I'd like to explore all possibilities first before returning my
graphics card to the shop.

Thanks, Richard

Old December 13th 05, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Ok, after further searching I found this in the Adapter Considerations
section of the IBM xSeries 225 Types 8649 Hardware Maintenance Manual
and Troubleshooting Guide:

- Installation of an AGP video adapter in the AGP slot is not
supported.
- You can install only a 32-bit adapter in the 32-bit PCI slot 1 and
64-bit adapters in the 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5.
- You can install full-length adapters in all five expansion slots;
however, full-length, double-width adapters will not fit in slot 5 and
are not supported. None of the expansion slots are hot-plug.
- The 32-bit PCI slot 1 supports 5.0 V signaling PCI adapters; it does
not support 3.3 V signaling adapters or 64-bit adapters.
- The 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5 support 3.3 V signaling PCI or
PCI-X adapters; they do not support 5.0 V signaling adapters.

So it's back to the shop for a refund.

Old December 13th 05, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

cryotiger wrote:
[...]

If it's a resource issue, then it's probably that age old AGP BIOS
option for "Assign IRQ to VGA". Problem is, this server's BIOS may not
have that. The last time I heard of this being a problem though was
back in the very early days of AGP and some LX/BX boards.