Upgrade a 4400?

Old December 11th 05, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Upgrade a 4400?

I have a 4400. It's worked really well for a few years. Still does. I
was wondering if it is worth upgrading it for something newer. I notice
some of the newer games have trouble with framerates, especially at the
higher resolutions.

I know I can probably go out and get the most expensive card there is
and not do too bad. But are there any suggestions for say, a sub-$200
card?

Thanks,

JG
Old December 11th 05, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:00:22 GMT, Joseph wrote:

I have a 4400. It's worked really well for a few years. Still does. I
was wondering if it is worth upgrading it for something newer. I notice
some of the newer games have trouble with framerates, especially at the
higher resolutions.

I know I can probably go out and get the most expensive card there is
and not do too bad. But are there any suggestions for say, a sub-$200
card?

Thanks,

JG

I upgraded from a GF4 Ti4400 to a 6600GT. I saw an
improvement, but it was not earth shattering. I also am limited by my
system (Athlon XP 3000+), so it would be even beter if I had a faster
Athlon 64.
For around $200.00 USD you can get a 6800GS (PCI-E only) that
would get you a great boost in performance. However, if your still
with AGP, you could only do a 6600GT, or standard 6800 for under
$200.00.
Old December 11th 05, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Joseph wrote:
I have a 4400. It's worked really well for a few years. Still does. I
was wondering if it is worth upgrading it for something newer. I notice
some of the newer games have trouble with framerates, especially at the
higher resolutions.

I know I can probably go out and get the most expensive card there is
and not do too bad. But are there any suggestions for say, a sub-$200
card?

Thanks,

JG

Either a 6600GT or 6800GS. The GS will probably come very close to 200,
but 6600GT's are cheap right now and you can get one for as little as
130 USD. Great performance and very reliable.

I usually play games at 1024x768 w/ 2xAA on my 6600GT and don't have a
problem with framerates.
Old December 11th 05, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:00:22 GMT, Joseph wrote:

I have a 4400. It's worked really well for a few years. Still does. I
was wondering if it is worth upgrading it for something newer. I notice
some of the newer games have trouble with framerates, especially at the
higher resolutions.

I know I can probably go out and get the most expensive card there is
and not do too bad. But are there any suggestions for say, a sub-$200
card?

Thanks,

JG

Yes. The AGP version of the 6600GT. The eVGA 6600GT 128Meg AGP4x/8x
(128-A8-N350-TX) was @ Newegg and ZipZoomFly for ~ $139 with a $20
eVGA rebate. It carries a 1+1 yr warranty, as follows:-

"When you purchase a new EVGA graphics card, the standard one year
limited warranty applies. By registering your new card online at
http://www.evga.com/register/, you will receive an additional one year
limited warranty for free. Now isn’t that a great deal? A two year
limited warranty just for registering your product!

Our New Warranty 1+1 is effective as of January 1, 2005. Any card
purchased on or after January 1, 2005 is eligible for our new Warranty
Program."

( The 6800 and above series in the eVGA range now carry a life-time
warranty to the original purchaser )

This card has recently been out of stock at both places...batches come
and go quickly....presumably high demand at that price since the list
price from eVGA is $199 !! Faster than a FX5900 and
DirectX9.0c/Shader 3 compatible.

Not worthwhile investing more money at this time in a faster AGP
graphics card (such as the 6800GT AGP) without upgrading your
motherboard to PCIe and installing the PCIe version of such cards.
AGP is rapidly going the way of the dodo... Anyway, the 6800GT is
outside your budget range.

John Lewis

Old December 11th 05, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Joseph" wrote in message

I have a 4400. It's worked really well for a few years. Still does. I
was wondering if it is worth upgrading it for something newer. I notice
some of the newer games have trouble with framerates, especially at the
higher resolutions.

I know I can probably go out and get the most expensive card there is
and not do too bad. But are there any suggestions for say, a sub-$200
card?

Thanks,

JG

Just to expand this thread a little; Just how out of date is a FX5900XT
these days. This card has done me well, but developers are already pushing
the envelope it seems that some games no longer play on my machine. I
peruse these boards when I'm thinking of upgrading...study up etc. Does not
seem long enough that my FX5900 would be out of date...but then, I see AGP
is going extinct. Hard to keep up. Money does not grow on trees for me.

Old December 12th 05, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Thank you all for your advice. For a second, I thought you were
referring to an "EGA" card.. talk about dodos...

I'll look into this. My Ti4400 has a dual head, and I am using both of
them in a dual monitor setup, so I'll want something similar, but
faster.

Thanks again!

Joseph

In article ,