Can't use higher resolution with Topcon 10" monitor

Old November 29th 05, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

Default Can't use higher resolution with Topcon 10" monitor

Hi,

I've just bought a Topcon VS-10S 10" monitor from shop. Shop staff had
shown me clearly the monitor could be displayed in 800x600 resolution
with 30 bit color (I didn't know his PC configuration). When I
connected the monitor to my PII PC w/ NVIDIA RIVA TNT display card, XP
Professional & XP Home installed in 2 separate HDs, I found I could
only get proper display with VGA mode (640x480). If I changed the
resolution to higher values, the display immediately turned into a
mess.

I tried forced XP to search for Topcon's driver but I found no Topcon's
brand name in monitor driver list.

Please tell me how can I use this 10" in higher resolution ? I checked
from below url that the best resolution for this monitor should be
1024x768.

http://www.aures.com/ang/2_pdv/6_monit/a_vs_10s.html

Old November 29th 05, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

What version of the video card drivers are you running? The video card
drivers that are/were shipped with XP are extremely limited. Head over to
www.nvidia.com and check for the latest drivers for your video card.

BTW: The Riva TNT is getting to be a very old video card.

--
---

Y.

Old November 30th 05, 06:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

Chuck 寫道:

1024x768 will produce very small objects on a 10" monitor.

Agree. But the point is I can't even change the setting to 800x600
without problem.

Old November 30th 05, 06:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

Yes, Riva TNT is old, so is my PII PC.

Old November 30th 05, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

The problem happened with monitor at refresh rate of 60Hz. Common
setting for most monitors.

Old November 30th 05, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

'emil lam' wrote, in part:
| I've just bought a Topcon VS-10S 10" monitor from shop. Shop staff had
| shown me clearly the monitor could be displayed in 800x600 resolution
| with 30 bit color (I didn't know his PC configuration). When I
| connected the monitor to my PII PC w/ NVIDIA RIVA TNT display card, XP
| Professional & XP Home installed in 2 separate HDs, I found I could
| only get proper display with VGA mode (640x480). If I changed the
| resolution to higher values, the display immediately turned into a
| mess.
_____

The short answer:
Your monitor can not handle a refresh rate above 50 to 63 Hz for 800 X 600
resolution. Higher than that and the display will either be a mess of
misplaced scan lines, or completely missing. The monitor might also be
damaged.

The longer answer:
I looked at the small amount of information on your monitor at the URL you
posted.

Monitors don't really have 'drivers' at most there might be a file with
color information and lists of available horizontal and vertical rates.

A 10 inch CRT is not really suitable for greater resolutions than 640 X 480.
According to the information at the URL, your Topcon 10 inch can handle
horizontal rates of 30,000 Hz to 38 Hz and vertical rates of 50 to 90 Hz;
and resolutions of 640 X 480, 800 X 600, and 1024 X 768. The pitch is 0.28
mm.

The above numbers tell the tale.

Divide the horizontal frequency by the horizontal resolution and you get the
vertical resolution possible.

Taking the higher horizontal frequency given, a 800 X 600 resolution gives
only 63 Hz; taking the lower horizontal frequency gives only 50 Hz. That
means you must set the display adapter refresh rate to 63 Hz at highest, and
perhaps as low as 50 Hz to get the monitor to correctly display 800 X 600
resolution.

For 1024 X 768 the situation is even worse; the refresh rate must be set to
37 Hz or less. This means that the monitor can only display 1024 x 768 with
interlaced scan rather than progressive scan.

The 0.28 mm dot pitch tells an even uglier tale. A 10 inch CRT is 10 inches
diagonally between opposite corners; that means a horizontal line is less
than 8 inches (203 mm). Divide the physical line length by the dot pitch
and you get less than 726. Since the dot pitch is the DIAGONAL distance
between phosphor dots of the same color, the actual horizontal pitch is only
0.866 X 542 mm = 470. So you see, even if you set the refresh rate so as to
make the diplay usable at 800 X 600, the resolution of the diplay will at
best be 628, and not able to physically display 800 pixels by 600 pixels.

Basically you have a monitor useful for 640 X 480. Setting the refresh rate
of your display adapter to 60 Hz ought to give a recognizable image at 800 X
600 but not a sharp image.

I don't know why you purchased the monitor, but you probably did not get
what you thought you were buying. I would recommend taking it back and
closely questioning the 'shop staff'.

Phil Weldon

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

The staff did show me the monitor's image at 800x600 resolution. I've
checked that by right click at desktop then select properties (Display
properties tab). At Settings tab, it showed 800x600 at 32 bit color.
That staff already told me the maximum resolution is 800x600 and I
expect that.

But I haven't checked the display card used by that shop.

Old November 30th 05, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

But what did you SEE at the shop? The signal may have been 800 X 600, but
the detail was considerably less.
What do you expect to use this monitor for? That information might help me
give a clearer explanation.
The display card used doesn't make a difference as long as the refresh rate
can be set low enough, and interlace can be selected. What you bought is a
very limited monitor completely unsuited for text display at 800 X 600. It
might be suitable for NTSC or PAL resolution, but 800 X 600 ditigal images
will be considerabally degraded.

Phil Weldon

oups.com...