No more 6800s?

Old November 7th 05, 09:14 PM

Default No more 6800s?

Hello!

I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvid...ance/page2.asp and it
said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
(although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."

Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).

Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.

Thank you in advance.
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )
Old November 7th 05, 09:42 PM
Smart Feet

wrote:
[...]

No 7800's have AGP.

I had a similar situation. ATI 9800 XT (going bad), AGP motherboard.

This is the card I choose:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0837123 92168

Excellent card...
Old November 7th 05, 09:51 PM
Joe Mama

wrote:
[...]

I don't have any answers for your specific questions, but I would
suggest that instead of continuing to post this question here (as you've
been doing in one form or another for some weeks now), that you just go
out and buy an AGP 6800 of some sort while they are still available.

HTH,
-joe.

Dyslexics of the world, untie!
Old November 7th 05, 11:45 PM

Smart Feet wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Damn. $350? A bit over my wallet. I was hoping to be under 250 bucks.
Old November 7th 05, 11:46 PM

Joe Mama wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
Old November 8th 05, 12:40 AM
John Lewis

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:46:28 -0600, wrote:

Joe Mama wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes, PNY and Leadtek

Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Old November 8th 05, 01:21 AM
David Gorick

I was in your same position and ended up buying a Leadtek 6800 on sale from
NewEgg for $160. I used riva tuner to unlock everything possible and do a
mild overclock. It runs great, is much better than the 5200 it replaced and
didn't cost much, saving me a few dollars for next year when I upgrade to a
new MB supporting PCI Express and a better card. Some people will tell you
not to buy a Leadtek but mine works great and it only needs to last me a
year. I really wanted a 6800GT but couldn't justify the price (double the
6800) for a card only lasting a year or less.

et...

Old November 8th 05, 01:23 AM
Inglo

On 11/7/2005 4:40 PM John Lewis brightened our day with:

Joe Mama wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
$50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
too much to sink into an AGP card.

--

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old November 8th 05, 02:48 AM
JTB

wrote in message
news
Smart Feet wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You can always try ebay - there are some new ones there.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=