6200 64 bit or 5500 128 bit?

Old November 2nd 05, 08:37 PM

Default 6200 64 bit or 5500 128 bit?

I'm a relative noob looking to upgrade to a $xx card. I was looking at
a eVGA Geforce 6200 256-A8-N341-LX Video Card

before I read about concerns in the group about only being a 64 bit
bus. My other choice would be Albatron Geforce FX5500 FX5500Q

Which would be a better choice? I run an Athlon 64 2800. I'm looking
mostly to improve video playback with mild gaming.

Old November 3rd 05, 12:04 AM
Augustus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a relative noob looking to upgrade to a $xx card. I was looking at
a eVGA Geforce 6200 256-A8-N341-LX Video Card

before I read about concerns in the group about only being a 64 bit
bus. My other choice would be Albatron Geforce FX5500 FX5500Q

Which would be a better choice? I run an Athlon 64 2800. I'm looking
mostly to improve video playback with mild gaming.

Avoid 64bit cards at all costs.

Old November 3rd 05, 05:23 AM
Larry Roberts

On 2 Nov 2005 12:37:20 -0800, wrote:

I'm a relative noob looking to upgrade to a $xx card. I was looking at
a eVGA Geforce 6200 256-A8-N341-LX Video Card

before I read about concerns in the group about only being a 64 bit
bus. My other choice would be Albatron Geforce FX5500 FX5500Q

Which would be a better choice? I run an Athlon 64 2800. I'm looking
mostly to improve video playback with mild gaming.

To be honest. Unless you just don't want to use ATI, I'd go
with a 9600XT card. It will out-perform a 64-bit 6200, and any FX5500
card. You can get them at newegg starting at $80.00.
Old November 3rd 05, 01:20 PM

I had a nightmare with a ATI 9600 Pro I got off eBay. Spent the better
part of 3 days trying to get it to work consistantly. May have been a
bad card, may have been incompatibility with my motherboard (MSI), but
during troubleshooting I read a lot about compatibility problems with
Radeons. Left a bad taste in my mouth for them.

Old November 3rd 05, 01:57 PM

I'm not saying they [ATI] don't work at all. From a technical
standpoint they're a superior product, but they do have a reputation
for more issues than a comparable Nvidia card. Given my moderate needs
I'm willing to trade off some performance for greater reliability.

Old November 28th 05, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I've spent a good part of the afternoon looking for an actual test of
the 64bit 6200 vs. any other card, but the 128 bit 6200 would be nice.
Couldn't find anything on Tom's or Anand. So everyone says the 64 bit
memory bus will kill performance, but does anyone have a link to an
actual test?

TIA

Steve

Old November 30th 05, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Cant tell you and specific benchmarks, but I used to have a ATI 9600 SE (or
was it LE?) that was 64bit, it ran games good unless it was demanding with
Pixel Shaders (most new games) or if i wanted to use any AA or AF, then I
upgraded to a regular 9600 which my friend gave me for like 10 bucks cause
he didnt need it and it was 128 bit and it seemed 3x as fast at the 64 bit.
So I would assume the Nvidia versions have similar performance hits from the
limited bandwidth. Also, the 64bit vs 128bit only refers to the speed of the
memory which is extremely important for todays graphics. Highly recommend
you dish out the extra bucks and get the 128 bit version.
Daniel

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've spent a good part of the afternoon looking for an actual test of
the 64bit 6200 vs. any other card, but the 128 bit 6200 would be nice.
Couldn't find anything on Tom's or Anand. So everyone says the 64 bit
memory bus will kill performance, but does anyone have a link to an
actual test?

TIA

Steve

Latest status on my dead Proliant 5500.. Rick F Compaq Servers 12 September 14th 05 04:22 AM
Difference in speeds on 6200 and 6600? Neil Barras Nvidia Videocards 0 May 26th 05 09:26 PM
Difference between 6200 AGP, and 6600 AGP Larry Roberts Nvidia Videocards 4 April 15th 05 06:23 PM
6200 AGP SomeOne Nvidia Videocards 10 March 4th 05 12:27 AM
Garage sale: Proliant 4500, 5500 & parts.... Dan Compaq Servers 0 May 4th 04 06:13 PM