Overclocking Barton 1833 (2500+)

Old August 6th 04, 01:48 PM
SysCold

Default Overclocking Barton 1833 (2500+)

So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?

BTW, just to make su is Barton die temperature 90C?
Old August 6th 04, 02:54 PM
rstlne

"SysCold" wrote in message
So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?

BTW, just to make su is Barton die temperature 90C?

Max temp before death is stated as 90c yes..
I dont think you'll push it much farther with air cooling but I have read
where people have got it up to 220*11, Mine wont do it tho.

Old August 6th 04, 04:19 PM
SysCold

rstlne wrote:
"SysCold" wrote in message

So far I've managed to get it to 2.26 GHz with 205 FSB. No voltage
change. I have Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu and it keeps it at 38C/42C Idle/CPU
Max. Motherboard is Asus A7N8X-X (2x200MHz FSB). How far can I push it
more, anyone OC'd it higher? What temperature is still OK, 60C, 70C?

BTW, just to make su is Barton die temperature 90C?

Max temp before death is stated as 90c yes..
I dont think you'll push it much farther with air cooling but I have read
where people have got it up to 220*11, Mine wont do it tho.

I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...
Old August 6th 04, 04:22 PM
BigBadger

With the latest chips your memory or chipset would usually be the limiting
factors due to high FSB, not the CPU.
With good air cooling and a moderate voltage increase (1.9V) the most will
get into the 2500 - 2600MHz region as long as the rest of your system is
good for the FSB.

Old August 6th 04, 04:52 PM
SysCold

BigBadger wrote:
With the latest chips your memory or chipset would usually be the limiting
factors due to high FSB, not the CPU.
With good air cooling and a moderate voltage increase (1.9V) the most will
get into the 2500 - 2600MHz region as long as the rest of your system is
good for the FSB.

I think the rest of system will match those speeds. Dual DDR 512MB
PC4000 (500MHz) KINGMAX Hardcore and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (if it
matters). Will it?
Now running at 225 FSB, stable. But I had to raise RPM on cooler from
min - 1300 to max - 2400. No change in voltage.
Old August 6th 04, 08:57 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:19:04 +0200, SysCold wrote:

I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...

Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old August 6th 04, 09:51 PM
SysCold

Larry Gagnon wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:19:04 +0200, SysCold wrote:

I'm now running stable on 220MHz FSB, that's 2.43GHz. I don't know if my
Asus PC Probe is lieing but it said: 33C Idle, 43C CPU Max. I touched
cooler near CPU and it wasn't hot, I'd say it's mild warm. Still without
changing voltage. Memory timings: 2.5-3-3-8. I'll try to get it even lower.
I'll let you know when I reach limit.... if anyone is interested?...

Have you actually run Prime95 for a few hours to test if your computer
really is stable? You are very lucky if you don't have to raise the CPU
core voltage. Also your temps are very low - I mean how long have you run
it at 100% load? Also, what is your room's ambient temperature?

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

I've tested it in simple program I wrote. It loops some arithmetical and
logical operations for half of hour taking 100% of CPU. When I wrote
above post room temp was 25.5C. But there is something strange I
noticed. There is the difference between ASUS PC Probe and BIOS
readings. BIOS shows about 5 to 7C more then PC Probe. But still, 50C is
OK temp for 25.5C ambient temp and overclocked processor. I don't know
if it is wise or will it damage my processor/MB but I'll rise FSB until
processor temp reaches 60C at full load for hour. MB temp is 25C in BIOS
and PC Probe, so I hope I don't have to worry about it.
System is now working at 230 FSB, 2.54GHz, still NO change in core
voltage. I left it on 'AUTO' and during all testings, CV was at 1.696. I
ran FarCry for few hours (until my last post) at 230 FSB without any
problems. Processor is now 31C Idle, 38C after hours of FarCry. Temp in
the room is now 23.1C.
Old August 6th 04, 11:21 PM
rstlne

"SysCold" wrote in message
Larry Gagnon wrote:

[...]

Maxing a processor at 100% is not 100% load, U should use prime95 to be
honest (Not doubting your ability at making something that works, but
thinking that you might be better off using something "known" to stress the
cpu)

Asus probe is CRAP to be honest, Get MBM5 and read the temp from the CPU
directly. The value that Probe gives you is what's on the motherboard and I
can tell you that it might will def be 4/5c off at most times (during idle)
and you might find it shocking to see how high it does go. (I have seen it
probably 30 off due to a "under rated HSF")
so 60c is "okay" might mean ur running the cpu @ 90c..

oh.. I would say to go about this in reverse of the way I mention'd it.. get
MBM5 first ;P