new nVidia card having problems with mpg/avi...?

Old October 21st 05, 01:16 PM
Ironcross

Default new nVidia card having problems with mpg/avi...?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:12:00 GMT, bizbee
wrote:

I just installed a new PCI video card with nVidia 6200. Downloaded the
latest drivers, everything works fine, even games... except, suddenly
it won't play mpeg or avi files...? It starts the MediaPlayer up
(MP10--I'm using XP, by the way), and it just says "connecting" at the
bottom. But that's as far as it ever gets. The machine slows down and
even the mouse becomes sticky and slow. I've also tried opening these
files with another app with the same result. Everything worked fine
before the new card. Seems like some kind of conflict to me, but I've
no idea what. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

I installed the newest nVidia driver and the same thing happened to my
media player or AVI player. Also using XP. Everything slows down. I
can close the media player window but it still shows in Task manager
until I end process.
I'm going to try the new 81.85 driver that was released yesterday.
Then I will have to go back to the original driver that came with my
card but there are some issues with it re. gaming.

Old October 21st 05, 04:34 PM
Ironcross

All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

.. .

Old October 22nd 05, 04:26 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

nVidia motherboards are nForce motherboards apart from the as yet unreleased
model(C51 which is a GeForce motherboard ).

I've had this exact same problem with video locking up the whole machine and
not playing back.

This was caused by not installing the motherboard drivers off the CD which
came with the motherboard.

"Ironcross" wrote in message
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

. ..

Old October 24th 05, 11:18 PM
Ironcross

Then I guess I'm screwed. I don't have the mobo cd. I have played
movies with WMP and other players until a week or so ago when I dl'd
the latest drivers. Now my system totally locks up whenever I tried
to play a vid. If you find a workaround for this please let me
know. Thanks.
Also I cannot seem to roll back my driver to the earlier version.
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:26:59 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

nVidia motherboards are nForce motherboards apart from the as yet unreleased
model(C51 which is a GeForce motherboard ).

I've had this exact same problem with video locking up the whole machine and
not playing back.

This was caused by not installing the motherboard drivers off the CD which
came with the motherboard.

"Ironcross" wrote in message
.. .
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

Old October 25th 05, 12:11 AM
Sharanga Dayananda

What's the make of yer mobo?

I can put the nForce drivers off my mobo onto my webserver, 'tis for the
nForce 3 250 series (Asus K8N), but could very well work on yer mobo.

You can get it from http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/downloads/WINXP_2K.7z (
This is for Win2k/XP ).

'twill be slow and 'tis a 22 MB download in 7-zip format with ultra
compression. You can get 7-zip from www.7-zip.org or you could use WinRAR.

wrote:

nVidia motherboards are nForce motherboards apart from the as yet
unreleased
model(C51 which is a GeForce motherboard ).

I've had this exact same problem with video locking up the whole machine
and
not playing back.

This was caused by not installing the motherboard drivers off the CD which
came with the motherboard.

"Ironcross" wrote in message
. ..
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

m...

Old October 25th 05, 02:25 AM
Ironcross

I don't know other than it's nVidia. How can I tell? Where is the
model number on those? Using WinXP. Thanks.
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:11:26 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

What's the make of yer mobo?

I can put the nForce drivers off my mobo onto my webserver, 'tis for the
nForce 3 250 series (Asus K8N), but could very well work on yer mobo.

You can get it from http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/downloads/WINXP_2K.7z (
This is for Win2k/XP ).

'twill be slow and 'tis a 22 MB download in 7-zip format with ultra
compression. You can get 7-zip from www.7-zip.org or you could use WinRAR.

.. .

"Ironcross" wrote in message
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

om...

Old October 25th 05, 07:23 AM
Sharanga Dayananda

You could have a look at the actual mobo. It's bound to be written on the
motherboard, on a side or corner.

wrote:

What's the make of yer mobo?

I can put the nForce drivers off my mobo onto my webserver, 'tis for the
nForce 3 250 series (Asus K8N), but could very well work on yer mobo.

You can get it from http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/downloads/WINXP_2K.7z (
This is for Win2k/XP ).

'twill be slow and 'tis a 22 MB download in 7-zip format with ultra
compression. You can get 7-zip from www.7-zip.org or you could use
WinRAR.

. ..
wrote:

nVidia motherboards are nForce motherboards apart from the as yet
unreleased
model(C51 which is a GeForce motherboard ).

I've had this exact same problem with video locking up the whole machine
and
not playing back.

This was caused by not installing the motherboard drivers off the CD
which
came with the motherboard.

"Ironcross" wrote in message
m...
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

news:4hmhl1p70keb6o88noa8v6224botr42i58@4ax. com...

Old October 25th 05, 10:12 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

When yer PC boots up, it proly displays the motherboard details like "Asus
K8N" on bootup.

Some motherboards have a splash screen which hides the POST info ( power on,
self test ), but can be disabled via the BIOS. If you boot up with a splash
screen, it'll proly display the mobo name.

More easily you could download something like SiSoft Sandra Lite, which'll
proly ID yer mobo.

(
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...uy&langx=en&a=,
I think the Lite version is free. )

wrote:

What's the make of yer mobo?

I can put the nForce drivers off my mobo onto my webserver, 'tis for the
nForce 3 250 series (Asus K8N), but could very well work on yer mobo.

You can get it from http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/downloads/WINXP_2K.7z (
This is for Win2k/XP ).

'twill be slow and 'tis a 22 MB download in 7-zip format with ultra
compression. You can get 7-zip from www.7-zip.org or you could use
WinRAR.

. ..
wrote:

nVidia motherboards are nForce motherboards apart from the as yet
unreleased
model(C51 which is a GeForce motherboard ).

I've had this exact same problem with video locking up the whole machine
and
not playing back.

This was caused by not installing the motherboard drivers off the CD
which
came with the motherboard.

"Ironcross" wrote in message
m...
All I know is it's a nVidia mobo. I didn't build it and don't know
how to tell what type mobo it has. Sry.
Vid card is a 6600GT. And it is AGP not PCI. Hope that helps.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:51:57 GMT, "Sharanga Dayananda"
wrote:

Do you have an nForce mobo?

Old November 15th 05, 06:21 AM
bluebluemick1 bluebluemick1 is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Hi guys, I had the same problem the other day. I have a GEForce 6600Gt. The problem is actually with the hardware acceleration. For some reason WMP 10 does not like any at all. Disabling it in WMP didnt work my comp was still crashing. In your desktop display properties, settings, advanced, troubleshooting, turn off hardware acceleration and media will play. Hope this was help for you too.