NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT vs ATI X800XL

Old October 17th 05, 06:47 PM
Anus O'Really

Default NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT vs ATI X800XL

I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How do
they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

Old October 17th 05, 07:27 PM
dino

here are some comparissons....only in the benchmark section

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...15/ati-02.html

Old October 17th 05, 08:23 PM
Smart Feet

Anus O'Really wrote:
I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How do
they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

Two tidbits:

1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
released that supports Shader Model 3.0)

2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
Buy... just that model):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0837123 92168
Old October 18th 05, 01:56 AM
Anus O'Really

"Smart Feet" wrote in message
. ..
Anus O'Really wrote:
I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How

do
they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

Two tidbits:

1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
released that supports Shader Model 3.0)

2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
Buy... just that model):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0837123 92168

I'd need a PCI Express version, I was thinking of this one:

Old October 18th 05, 02:52 AM
deimos

Anus O'Really wrote:
"Smart Feet" wrote in message
. ..

Anus O'Really wrote:

I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How

do

they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

Two tidbits:

1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
released that supports Shader Model 3.0)

2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
Buy... just that model):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....0837123 92168

I'd need a PCI Express version, I was thinking of this one:

I'm sure for the money, the 800XL is an OK card, but I'm much more
inclined to stick with NVIDIA based cards from good manufacturers (BFG,
XFX, Leadtek, etc). Overall I think both the feature set of the GF6 and
driver stability make it a much better card. The X800 seems more like a
heavily tweaked and overclocked 9800 than anything else and doesn't
offer much new.
Old October 18th 05, 03:14 AM
Tom

I'm sure for the money, the 800XL is an OK card, but I'm much more
inclined to stick with NVIDIA based cards from good manufacturers (BFG,
XFX, Leadtek, etc). Overall I think both the feature set of the GF6 and
driver stability make it a much better card. The X800 seems more like a
heavily tweaked and overclocked 9800 than anything else and doesn't offer
much new.

Here is a slightly more complete and recent review of PCI-Express video
cards.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

The only real difference feature-wise between the two is the shader model
3.0 support and from what I've seen the X800XL generally handles AA with a
bit less of a performance hit, while the NVIDIA does better with OpenGL
games and all other situations they aren't far apart - both having their
share of games they do slightly better in.

If you find equal prices, I'd probably go with the 6800GT, but if the price
difference is more then 50 bucks (as it once was) I'd go with the ATI card -
or try to find a newer generation NVIDIA card for a bit more money.

Tom

Old October 20th 05, 04:02 PM
Dr. Richard Cranium

a what ? 6800 ? no brainer ATI x800XL !
compare ? why ? just get the ATI x800XL

oops crossposted didn't you.

here.

okay so the 6800 exists so we ATI'ers can just run over, KO, dominate, crush
(no deposit no return) the NVIDIA's playing PVP servers in online games. So
uh.. maybe you want to purchase the 6800 ? okay. see you online.

hope this helps,

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...1midaspics.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

-=-=-

** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
** for those whom wonder about "whats it like anyway huh"

http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionlin...ibb/Jueno.html

-=-=-

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles

** World of Warcraft Beta adventuring North to Ironforge. Dwarf Airport
Discovered
http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft.html

** No Pili'kaia **

at http://www.TitanNews.com