Would my system benefit from a GeForce 6600 GT or higher ?

Old October 7th 05, 10:54 PM

Default Would my system benefit from a GeForce 6600 GT or higher ?

Hello,

My PC is as follows:

Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
512 DDR RAM
WinXP
Geforce 5200

As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
would I be ok ? Thank you.

Daniel

Old October 8th 05, 12:17 AM
Daniel

Forgot to mention my Maxtor 7200 RPM 80 Gig gard drive (2 mb cashe)

Old October 8th 05, 12:43 AM
DaveW

It would help considerably, though you won't be playing on the highest
graphics settings obviously.

--
DaveW
__________

ups.com...

Old October 8th 05, 12:46 AM
Daniel

Alright, thank you very much.

It's too bad that the never games don't use the graphics engine as
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault 'cause I still play it in multiplayer,
set everything at maximum and find the graphics MUCH better than the
earlier Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam. But the "Medal" game relies on so
LITTLE resources from my computer that everything runs smooth. Maybe
it's a stupid question but why couldn't the BF2 game (and even the
earlier BF series) have been made with the MOHAA graphics engine ? More
people would play it then with their mid level PC's ...... Anyway,
thanks.--Daniel

Old October 8th 05, 12:48 AM
Daniel

DaveW wrote:
It would help considerably, though you won't be playing on the highest
graphics settings obviously.

So, what "upgrade" would it take for me to play it at near max or max
settings ? What is the bottleneck on my system ? Thanks again.

Daniel

Old October 8th 05, 09:03 AM
Daniel

Well, I got the card and although it is better than my previous one, it
"stutters" and freezes occassionally with the graphics on max and
medium on Battlefield Vietnam. The more going on, on the screen, the
worse it gets with the "freezing" ... Didn't even try BF2 as it needs
even more "power". Oh well, I guess I need a whole system overhaul ....

Thanks guys,

Daniel

Old October 8th 05, 06:47 PM
Homer S.

On 8 Oct 2005 01:03:25 -0700, "Daniel" wrote:

Well, I got the card and although it is better than my previous one, it
"stutters" and freezes occassionally with the graphics on max and
medium on Battlefield Vietnam. The more going on, on the screen, the
worse it gets with the "freezing" ... Didn't even try BF2 as it needs
even more "power". Oh well, I guess I need a whole system overhaul ....

Thanks guys,

Daniel

Replace your CPU. The Duron is a dog.

Take a look at the ASUS website for Motherboard/CPU support:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

(type in your mb model #)

It shows that your motherboard will support all the way up to a Sempron
3000+ CPU and/or an AthlonXP 3200+. You should be able to find either
CPU new (OEM version) for around $100 and you may be able to find
something on Ebay for even less. Good luck.

HS
Old October 9th 05, 04:07 AM
Daniel

WOW! Thanks so much! Yeah, it definitely looks like I can upgrade to
one of those "higher end" CPU's without overhauling everything! I
didn't know that the motherboard was so expandable! Thanks again very
much!!!!! Btw, I may also upgrade to 1 GIG of ram just for kicks )))

~Daniel