Compaq Proliant DL380

Old October 6th 05, 08:09 AM

Default Compaq Proliant DL380

Someone left a Compaq Proliant DL380 with me.

I am trying to setup win2k on it.

Somebody suggested I get cp005292 on a floppy and press F6 when win2k
starts and then press 'S', insert the floppy and rest will get done
automatically.

It did not.

I was asked for textsetup.oem.

This I supplied from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318812

Then I was asked for SCSIDRV.SYS. It was in SCSI folder on the floppy
but was not getting accessed so I took it out from the folder but it is
being rejected as being corrupted.

Will be eternally gratefull for help.

Regards,
Joshi

Old October 6th 05, 03:19 PM
Jeffrey Alsip

Are you referring to 2000Server, or to 2000Professional? If so, they
both have the drivers they need...just let the installation continue
without interruption.

Old October 7th 05, 02:01 PM

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
Are you referring to 2000Server, or to 2000Professional? If so, they
both have the drivers they need...just let the installation continue
without interruption.

I am trying to install 2000professional.
When it comes to Installing it say no harddrive in the machine, while
in fact it has 3 ULTRA3 SCSI 18.2GB disks.

Old October 7th 05, 02:57 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

are you using the onboard arrary controller ? If not, which one are you
using.

Did you check your cables, and did you setup an array using the SmartStart
CD.

We are assuming that this is a DL380 G1.

- LC

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 06:05 PM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
are you using the onboard arrary controller ? If not, which one are you
using.

Did you check your cables, and did you setup an array using the SmartStart
CD.

We are assuming that this is a DL380 G1.

- LC

I am not at all a technical person.
I have installed 2000 Professonal as well as 2000 Advanced Server on
DL140.
DL140 has IDE Hard Disk, while DL380 left with me has SCSI disks.

Machine is at least 4 years old.

Dont know how to check if it is DL380 G1 or not.

From the link Jez T gave I have been able to go upto

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sdownloads.asp

If I have Smart start 5.50 on a CD will it be smooth afterwards.

I am asking some people who suggested to me that I get cp005292 on a
floppy etc to read this thread. I hope they do. They have more
competence than me in these matters.

It will be waste to throw away the machine which otherwise looks to me
quite sturdy.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 09:13 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

same driver set for 2000 pro or server, chief.

the system should boot with the CPQARRAY.SYS that comes with 2000 no matter
what. We arent talking about a 5i or a 6i that has a funky driver dependency
here.

- LC

"Jez T" wrote in message
OK - that's because you're installing 2000 professional, and I'd expect
that it does not have the correct drivers in it for a Compaq RAID card
(aka SmartArray). If you install 2000 server, it should detect the
SmartArray card automatically.

At install, you need to press F6 and specify an additional driver.

The correct driver depends on the type of server - all 380s are not alike.
if it's beige and 3U high, it's a G1.
if it's dark grey and 2U high, it should say "G2", "G3", or "G4" on it.
It's very important to know the correct type of server. If in doubt, drop
the serial number in here - that will idetify it.

You can't install 2000 Professional from SmartStart as an assisted
install, but you can do a manual install (Boot to Smart Start, do a system
erase, configure the server from Smartstart)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 8th 05, 07:06 AM

Jez T wrote:
OK - that's because you're installing 2000 professional, and I'd expect that
it does not have the correct drivers in it for a Compaq RAID card (aka
SmartArray). If you install 2000 server, it should detect the SmartArray
card automatically.

At install, you need to press F6 and specify an additional driver.

The correct driver depends on the type of server - all 380s are not alike.
if it's beige and 3U high, it's a G1.

It is 3U high.

Under the power switch a strip reads

DL380R01 P1000 256 UK 8106FSB11010

if it's dark grey and 2U high, it should say "G2", "G3", or "G4" on it.
It's very important to know the correct type of server. If in doubt, drop
the serial number in here - that will idetify it.

Dont know where Serial Number would be but at the back under the bay
for 4 EXPANSION SLOTS a barcoded strip has 8106FSB11010 which is the
last part of the strip in the front.

You can't install 2000 Professional from SmartStart as an assisted install,
but you can do a manual install (Boot to Smart Start, do a system erase,
configure the server from Smartstart)

Let me say this in my words.
If I downloaded relevant SmartStart from
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/fi...sdownloads.asp
Cut a CD, put it in CD drive, then would I be told to what steps to
take?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 8th 05, 02:37 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Ok ... you have a G1

We still dont know what type of controller your drive(s) are connected to.

When the system boots up, and it counts the memory, and the shows you the
processors .... it will also list the array / scsi controllers and devices
attached to them.

Tell us what you see during this part of the system startup.

- LC

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
in fact it has 3 ULTRA3 SCSI 18.2GB disks.

Of course the Machine has slots for 4 such disks. Under the CD drive
there is possibilty for putting extra hard disks but they I believe
cannot be of the same type as those sticking out from front. In the
SCSI cable for extra drives there are only two sockets while power
supply has 3 sockets.

Old October 8th 05, 03:29 PM

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Ok ... you have a G1

We still dont know what type of controller your drive(s) are connected to.

When the system boots up, and it counts the memory, and the shows you the
processors .... it will also list the array / scsi controllers and devices
attached to them.

Tell us what you see during this part of the system startup.

- LC

Right now I am called out but I should be able to post details in 24
hours.

Regards

wrote in message
ups.com...