77.72: Geforce 2 MX/400 with 2046 MB RAM in DxDiag

Old October 3rd 05, 04:33 PM

Default 77.72: Geforce 2 MX/400 with 2046 MB RAM in DxDiag

hi all,
installed the newest driver and direct 9.0c and i now get the info that

the card has 2046 MB Ram and also the direct 3d tests in DxDiag all
failed.
de-installed and re-installed the drivers again but same result. as a
consequence
the card doesnt work well of course,. some games wont run now. what can
i do to solve this?

thanks all,

euro

Old October 4th 05, 12:33 AM
DaveW

That older technology card is incompatible with the newer drivers. I
believe hte newest driver you can use is 45.23 if you want stability with
games. Most modern games require a more recent more powerful card. Time to
upgrade. And that card has, maybe 64 MB of RAM; it does NOT have 2046 MB of
RAM!

--
DaveW
__________

oups.com...

Old October 4th 05, 03:37 AM

hi daveW,
i know that the card has 64 mb ram. i just said that dxdiag shows 2046
in the panel. anyways, i will try an older driver now.i hope it works.
thanks for your help,
european

Old October 4th 05, 04:42 AM
deimos

DaveW wrote:
That older technology card is incompatible with the newer drivers. I
believe hte newest driver you can use is 45.23 if you want stability with
games. Most modern games require a more recent more powerful card. Time to
upgrade. And that card has, maybe 64 MB of RAM; it does NOT have 2046 MB of
RAM!

Don't listen to this idiot. He's been around for a while and just
copy/pastes basically the same message everytime.

I've run every driver since maybe 23.xx on a GF2MX (including the 77.xx)
in my server and have not had any problems, EVER. I've also run every
official driver release since card purchase on a GF2U, a GF3 TI200, an
FX5600, F5700, and my current GF6 6600GT. No problems with the drivers,
EVER, and I really stress the hell out of these poor chips .

Normally if you're getting acceleration errors or blue screens and
lockups, you're looking at a chipset error (motherboard chipset). The
solution differs depending on your board, but generally you should make
sure you have your chipset driver installed properly and any AGP GART
drivers installed before your NVIDIA driver.

Some chipset problems are just arcane. I had an old KT133A and it would
not run accelerated games at all because the newer VIA 4-in-1 drivers
(now Hyperion) forgot to set a register value correctly (MWQ bug) and
screwed it completely. So if you DO have all the proper drivers and
everything else fails, start looking for weird incompatiblities like
that. Best of luck.

Old October 4th 05, 06:17 AM

hi deimos,
well thanks for your statement. i did the following to solve this
issue:
i tried all drivers on the nvidia website beginning with the newest
one.
all of them gave me the same wrong MB size in dxdiag and faulty
direct3d tests.

except one: 53.04

this one works with directx 9, i see 64 mb ram and all dxdiag-tests
work now.

....weird incompatiblities, yep. probably the reason. but i do not want
to spend half day on this. now everything works fine with 53.04 and
thats it.

for all future readers of this thread:

FIC VB-601-V Mainboard (VIA Apollo Pro + Chipset)
Windows 98SE
384 MB RAM
Geforce 2 MX/MX400 64 MB
Direct X 9.0c
Driver version: 53.04

This Config Works fine!

Thanks,

European

Old October 11th 05, 04:28 PM
Dave

"deimos" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:
That older technology card is incompatible with the newer drivers. I
believe hte newest driver you can use is 45.23 if you want stability with
games. Most modern games require a more recent more powerful card. Time
to upgrade. And that card has, maybe 64 MB of RAM; it does NOT have 2046
MB of RAM!

Don't listen to this idiot. He's been around for a while and just
copy/pastes basically the same message everytime.

I've run every driver since maybe 23.xx on a GF2MX (including the 77.xx)
in my server and have not had any problems, EVER. I've also run every
official driver release since card purchase on a GF2U, a GF3 TI200, an
FX5600, F5700, and my current GF6 6600GT. No problems with the drivers,
EVER, and I really stress the hell out of these poor chips .

You are very lucky not to have struck a bug in drivers. I have an FX5700
A360 TDH and had gamma adjustment problems with the WinXP 77.72 version
nVidia driver. The default setting was washed out, i.e. way to high, but
trying to adjust it was impossible. The gamma would go from 0.3 to 6.5 with
nothing in between in adjusting the thing by one pixel on the screen. I did
discover a partial work around, partial in that when I when I tried to save
it, it would have to be reapplied at next reboot. I went back to older
drivers for a while.

My card has ViVo and I had hassles installing and using WDM 2.26 drivers
until 77.77.

Those are not the only driver problems I have had with this and other cards.
I don't bother with beta drivers anymore either.

I hope you stay bug free.

Dave