hardware question

Old September 25th 05, 11:17 AM
Spaceman

Default hardware question

Should there be two things using the same IRQ?

I have NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller and Radeon 9700 Pro both on
(PCI)19.

I also have NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface and Standard OpenHCD
USB Host Controller both on (PCI)21. Will this cause problems?

The reason i ask is this.. I had a razer diamondback mouse that would
disconnect from usb, and connect again by itself, constantly. so, i'd be
playing a game, and my mouse all the sudden dies completely, for a few
seconds until it connects itself again. it only seems to happen when i'm
playing games so far. i thought it was the hardware(razer mouse), but now i
have an old logitech usb mouse hooked up and it's doing it too. I have
reformatted and reinstalled windows fresh. It didn't fix the problem. Could
the IRQ thing be the problem? Or, is my USB hardware failing on me? I
haven't had problems with any other USB item other than my mouse. the damn
mouse... it's crippling as far as playing games.

Old September 25th 05, 02:14 PM
Robert Gault

Spaceman wrote:
[...]

It is normal for IRQs to be shared with modern OS. However, it is not a
good idea for the video card to share an IRQ. If you must share, then
get the card to share an IRQ with a device seldom in use or with low
usage. Your current arraignment where the USB mouse shares with the
video card and the audio card also shares an IRQ is about the worst you
could do.

Your mileage will vary and will be best with WinXP but I strongly
suggest changing card slots or reserving IRQs in the BIOS. What will be
possible for you will depend on your motherboard and BIOS.
Old September 25th 05, 08:05 PM
Robert Hancock

Spaceman wrote:
[...]

It would be ideal for everything to be on its own IRQ, but in cases like
this where onboard devices are sharing there is often nothing that can
be done about it. In any case it should not cause problems like this.

Much more likely that you have a bad mouse.. could be the cable is
broken internally.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old September 26th 05, 12:46 PM
Spaceman

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message
Spaceman wrote:
[...]

I think the problem is gone!! The most unsolvable problem i have had yet
with a computer since 1997. It feels good to have it taken care of... Thanks
for all the help!! It was an IRQ problem i assume, because i had a USB card
in there, and just switched PCI slots. I also disabled serial ports and one
other thing i believe. I was having problems with both the logitech and the
razer mouse. So far, after a whole night of gaming, i have had problems with
neither, and so i have my Razer on here again.