Video Card Advice--Unlocking Ge_Force 6200

Old September 16th 05, 03:56 AM
Peter Harrington

Default Video Card Advice--Unlocking Ge_Force 6200

I am thinking now of getting a Geforce 6200 and trying to unlock the extra
pipes using RivaTune so it mods to a 6600. Has anyone tried this mod? Is
the probability of success 100% or 50% or less?

The specific card that I was going to try is a
eVGA 256-A8-N327-LX Geforce 6200 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card -
Retail

TIA,

Pete

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
.. .
Hi:

I need a recommendation for a gaming video card for my son. He is playing
Rome: Total War which requires Direct 9x compatability, which my present
$20 card lacks (it is also 3 years old). What factors are worth paying
the money for in other words is GPU and Memory clock speed important.
Going from 400 - 600 MHz on the GPU worth an extra $20. I am presently
considering a POWERCOLOR R96E-TD3 Radeon 9600XT 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP
4X/8X for $92 at NewEgg. It has 128 bit interface and 256 MB of RAM. I
also like the fact that it does not require its own power cable because I
think all the molux outputs from my power supply are used. The other
question is that some cards have flowery language about 3D and texture
processing or anti-aliasing. Will these extra processors make a
difference or are all cores basically the same.

TIA,

Pete

Old September 16th 05, 07:33 AM
Larry Roberts

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:56:52 GMT, "Peter Harrington"
wrote:

I am thinking now of getting a Geforce 6200 and trying to unlock the extra
pipes using RivaTune so it mods to a 6600. Has anyone tried this mod? Is
the probability of success 100% or 50% or less?

The specific card that I was going to try is a
eVGA 256-A8-N327-LX Geforce 6200 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card -
Retail

TIA,

Pete

The newer batches of 6200 cards are being shipped with the
NV44 chip instead of the NV43. The NV44 has only 4 pixelpipes on it,
and no masked pipes like the NV43 6200s did. There is no extra pipes.
The best way I know to tell if the AGP version still has the NV43 chip
is that the NV44 equipped versions don't have the HSI chip, and the
card doesn't have external IDE power connector.
Don't know if any of the PCI-E cards could have the extra
pipes unlocked, or not, but since the PCI-E versions never had the HSI
chip, or an external IDE power connector, it would be hard to tell
which NV chip is used.
Old September 16th 05, 07:16 PM

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, XFX indicate the chip version in the model numbers they give to
their cards. According to their website, they have 4 models using the
NV43 GPU - 2 in AGP and 2 in PCI-E.