How do "integrated graphics" these days compare with, say a geforce 2mx?

Old September 13th 05, 12:40 PM
Dan

Default How do "integrated graphics" these days compare with, say a geforce 2mx?

So - I'm thinking of getting a laptop. Whilst it will be mainly used
for wireless net access, it would be nice if I could use it for a few
odler games and demos - (games being "mame" roms, which only really
need about 500mhz, and some of the older egames titles)

Will integrated graphics be suitable for the egames titles (for
reference - they work fine under a geforce 2mx)?

Old September 13th 05, 07:44 PM
madmax

"" wrote:
So - I'm thinking of getting a laptop. Whilst it will be
mainly used
for wireless net access, it would be nice if I could use it
for a few
odler games and demos - (games being "mame" roms, which only
really
need about 500mhz, and some of the older egames titles)

Will integrated graphics be suitable for the egames titles
(for
reference - they work fine under a geforce 2mx)?

the should be fine if they go back long enough, most intergrated chips
in laptops supply 32mb’s on the gaming chip and alot fo the old games
only needed like 8mb’s on the graphics

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia...pict62032.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=312671

Old September 14th 05, 04:50 AM
DaveL

It all depends on what integrated graphics you are talking about. The
Nforce integrated actually was GF2mx using system memory. If you had dual
channel ram it was almost as good as a real GF2mx card. The Radeon
integrated was about that good too. The Intel "Extreme Graphics", on the
other hand, sucked ass rather badly.

DaveL

ups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 06:17 AM
Lucas Tam

"Dan" wrote in news:1126611617.136401.23520
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

So - I'm thinking of getting a laptop. Whilst it will be mainly used
for wireless net access, it would be nice if I could use it for a few
odler games and demos - (games being "mame" roms, which only really
need about 500mhz, and some of the older egames titles)

Yes laptop graphics are fine for Mame rom.

BTW, some laptops come with pretty powerful video cards too - you can get a
low-end GeForce 5xxx class card on most mid-range laptops.

--
Lucas Tam )

Newmarket Volvo Sucks! http://newmarketvolvo.tripod.com
Old September 15th 05, 12:30 AM
First of One

Intel's integrated graphics isn't the dead slug it once was, thanks to
half-decent clockspeeds on the northbridge. About a year ago I was able to
play Quake3 on a few whitebox Pentium4 machines at school. They all had 2.4
GHz CPUs and 512 MB RAM. 800x600x16-bit ran very smoothly, meaning the
system was as capable as a Voodoo3.