Updating Dtiver

Old September 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Marcus

Default Updating Dtiver

We have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64 on our Windows 98SE system. Since we
changed monitors to a SAMSUNG LCD 730B the graphics card has become
unstable. If the computer freezes it will reboot into a desktop with
scrambled the icons and the settings for resolution and color will be way
off. I have to reset everything and restart to get it back. We are using the
original CD as the driver source. It is almost 5 years old.

But I can't figure which driver to use from their upgrade driver page. Their
tech-support seems non-existent for this product.
Can anyone direct me to the CORRECT DRIVER for this model? It is the: NVIDIA
RIVA TNT 2 Model 64.

Also, the sequence of correct steps to install it will be helpful, as well.

Thanks very Much,

Marcus

Old September 3rd 05, 06:01 PM
Conor

In article , Marcus says...
We have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64 on our Windows 98SE system. Since we
changed monitors to a SAMSUNG LCD 730B the graphics card has become
unstable. If the computer freezes it will reboot into a desktop with
scrambled the icons and the settings for resolution and color will be way
off. I have to reset everything and restart to get it back. We are using the
original CD as the driver source. It is almost 5 years old.

But I can't figure which driver to use from their upgrade driver page. Their
tech-support seems non-existent for this product.
Can anyone direct me to the CORRECT DRIVER for this model? It is the: NVIDIA
RIVA TNT 2 Model 64.

Also, the sequence of correct steps to install it will be helpful, as well.

Firstly, take the lid off the computer, unplug and reinsert the
graphics card. Chances are you disturbed something when you unplugged
the monitor.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old September 3rd 05, 06:24 PM
Marcus

Thanks,........what's next?

Marcus

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Marcus says...

Old September 3rd 05, 07:29 PM
Phil Weldon

'Marcus' wrote:
| Thanks,........what's next?
_____

Did the very good suggestion made by 'Conor' work? The must likely
explanation for what happened to your system is that you dislodged the
display adapter in the socket on the motherboard, and reseating it, as
'Conor' suggested is all you need to do to restore proper operation.

Try it, and report the results here.

Phil Weldon

Old September 4th 05, 12:09 AM
DaveW

If you are going to update to an LCD monitor, which requires higher
resolution settings, then you may find that you have to get a modern video
card with the capability to drive it.

--
DaveW

Old September 4th 05, 04:33 AM
Marcus

It will take a few days to know if this has helped.

Thanks,

Marcus
"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net...
_____

Old September 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Marcus

It will take the next crash to know for sure.

_____

Old September 6th 05, 04:27 AM
Marcus

Unfortunately re-inserting the card had no effect.

Should I up now upgrade the driver? Please direct me to the correct driver
for this product:
NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64.

_____

Old September 6th 05, 07:39 PM
Phil Weldon

Since there is communication FROM the monitor to the display adapter (other
than the monitor id connections), if reseating the display adapter doesn't
help, then replacing it is probably in order. But first, as final checks,
try

start the system in SAFE mode (if Windows 98SE has a SAFE mode, I don't
remember any more)
swap the display adapter into a working system (don't change the drivers) -
it should work in VGA mode

If the results indicate a new display adapter is necessary, a comprable or
better card (nVida MX4000 series 64 Mbyte display adapters) should cost less
than $30 US As far as working with Windows 98SE, if you get a card based
on nVida chips, the nVidia drivers for Windows 95 and later are available at
http://www.nvidia.com/page/home .

Phil Weldon

_____