Is this possible - PC to TV (in seperate rooms)?

Old August 31st 05, 08:05 PM
BillL

Default Is this possible - PC to TV (in seperate rooms)?

Hi all, I've been asked to answer the following question by a friend of
mine. As far as I can recall (I supplied the bits for his current box) he's
got a 64 MB GF Ti200 with TV out, 512 MB of RAM and a 1.2 GHz CPU (I'm not
sure about the CPU). The TV he's refering to is quite a new 22" LCD (no HDMI
input). I really don't think it'll be possible to have a 10 metre cable from
the back of the video card to the TV (!!) so is there anyway of achieving
what my friend is asking - as per usual I know nothing about sommething I've
never been interested in doing!

With the music player option he's probably better just getting an 'off the
shelf" wireless MP3 system for the 'puter? Though why he'd want to play
music through the crappy built in speakers of the TV puzzles me somewhat.

BTW if someone wants to make me feel like an idiot with a blindingly obvious
suggestion please feel free ;o)

TIA

BillL

Anyhoo here's his question: -

'What's the best way to get video and sound from the PC upstairs to the TV
monitor in the kitchen? I want to use it as a video/music player. You
probably know better than I what connections are available on the back of my
PC. Minimise the number of cables if poss. coz its going to 10m ish run..
The TV has got every conceivable input and output facility. VGA/S video/DVD
input/audio in/out etc.'

Old August 31st 05, 08:19 PM
vellu

There are DVD/PC to TV kits available that reach 10 metres. Atleast I've
seen them available at a local PC-store. Includes a 10 meter S-VIDEO
cable and a 10-meter RCA-pair for audio and a SCART-adapter. I'm using
5-meter cables myself, and see no problems.

Sure ten meters is a stretch and some quality loss may occur (in
comparison with shorter cables) both nothing to be conserned about.

Not much information (actually, none) but here is a link for what I mean.

http://www.deltaco.fi/xproducts.asp?...S&xcode=DVDKIT

Old August 31st 05, 09:27 PM
Ken Maltby

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

What I use for a 55' run is four RG6 coax (that's way overkill,
a lower grade of coax should work as well.) Two of the coax
form the S-Video connection and two are for Right & Left audio.
I used S-video to two RCA adapters then plugged in RCA to F-
connector adapters for the coax. More RCA to F-connector
adapters for the coax used for the R&L audio.

I got the adapters from the local www.altex.com store but
you should be able to find them elsewhere, as well.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. If you were to take a good S-Video cable apart you
would find two little coax inside.

Old September 1st 05, 12:12 AM
Martin

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

How about a wireless video sender/receiver unit?

Search Google for 'wireless tv video sender' and you'll find a load of info
and links.

Martin.

Old September 1st 05, 02:37 AM
Rotes Sapiens

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:05:53 GMT, "BillL"
wrote:

[...]

I use a 5m RCA cable plugged with an adaptor to a 1.5m cable, plugged
with another adaptor to another 1.5m cable. This is then plugged into
an RCA to SVHS adaptor, which is the plugged into the video card TV
cable. It seems to work ok, but the display quality could be better.

A good bet might be a video sender. You plug one end into the VCR and
another into the TV so you can have them in different rooms. They are
usually no more expensive than buying all of the cables and adaptors.
The only thing to watch is that it has all of the appropriate
connectors.

Sig:
"The cat was once revered as a god. They have never forgotten this" - Anon
Old September 1st 05, 04:19 AM
Phil Weldon

'BillL' wrote, in part:
| Hi all, I've been asked to answer the following question by a friend of
| mine.
| .
| .
| 'What's the best way to get video and sound from the PC upstairs to the TV
| monitor in the kitchen? I want to use it as a video/music player.
_____

Several manufacturers make a video and audio over IP appliance. An ethernet
or wireless IP connection links the unit (located with the monitor or other
playback device) and the computer. A remote control allows access and
browsing of audio and image files on the computer system as well as DVD or
system video output. Some of these appliances are compatible with some of
the internet subscription services.

Some of these video/audio over IP appliances require Windows Media Edition
as the computer operating system, some don't. The cost runs between $200
and $300 US (only one unit is necessary for a single remote location as the
connection at the computer end is merely a 100 Mbit/sec ethernet or 54 Mbit
wireless connection.

Phil Weldon

. uk...

Old September 1st 05, 06:32 AM
Ken Maltby

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
'BillL' wrote, in part:
| Hi all, I've been asked to answer the following question by a friend of
| mine.
| .
| .
| 'What's the best way to get video and sound from the PC upstairs to the
TV
| monitor in the kitchen? I want to use it as a video/music player.
_____

Several manufacturers make a video and audio over IP appliance. An
ethernet or wireless IP connection links the unit (located with the
monitor or other playback device) and the computer. A remote control
allows access and browsing of audio and image files on the computer system
as well as DVD or system video output. Some of these appliances are
compatible with some of the internet subscription services.

Some of these video/audio over IP appliances require Windows Media Edition
as the computer operating system, some don't. The cost runs between $200
and $300 US (only one unit is necessary for a single remote location as
the connection at the computer end is merely a 100 Mbit/sec ethernet or 54
Mbit wireless connection.

Phil Weldon

Such as the "LinkTheater" I got from www.buffalotech.com .
Works great with their "TeraStation" NAS, also.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Hi Phil.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:01 PM
~misfit~

BillL wrote:
[...]

Don't know if this is any help but my nephew, Kyzen, pointed me to a part of
his site a while ago when I asked a similar question:

http://www.lanx.org.au/forum/showthr...=&threadid=124
--
~misfit~