A8N SLI Deluxe w/ two Geforce 6800GT crashes

Old August 10th 05, 09:22 AM
Mal Franks

Default A8N SLI Deluxe w/ two Geforce 6800GT crashes

As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

Set up a VNC server on the PC and following the more recent reboot - i
connected to it and logged in via my other PC.

Got a message from nVidia software/drivers saying that one of my
graphics cards had been removed and therefore SLI was unavailable. I
then went into Device Manager and according to that I only had one of my
6800GT cards connected.

Anyone experience anything similar and/or suggest fixes. The last time I
returned my PC to Mesh Computers all they did was alter some BIOS
settings and replace an SATA cable!

System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V @
18A and 1 x 12V @ 17A)

Mal
Old August 10th 05, 09:28 AM
Mal Franks

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, said...
As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

erm that should be "does not return" - oops
Old August 10th 05, 12:12 PM
Paul

In article , Mal Franks
wrote:

[...]

I would have a difficult time proving it to you, but it is your
power supply. I read some early accounts from users of A8N SLI,
and one user had infrequent problems like you. He changed out
the power supply (even though according to the label, it had
a high enough current rating) and his problems stopped. Now,
proving to Mesh that they should use a Nvidia certified power
supply, will be your problem. I'm sure they'll fight you
"tooth and nail".

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...0&page=2&pp=15
(Note that, even though a power supply can read stable with a meter,
it can have poor transient response to a heavy load, which can be
enough to cause the occasional reboot. Why else would power
supplies with acceptable current ratings, be causing systems
to fall over ?)
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=377834
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380940 (Asus Probe causes reboot?)
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/ (FAQ)

At the bottom of this page, is a list of "certified" power supplies.
You have a high end SLI configuration, and for such a system, you
cannot cut corners.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html

Note that, of the listed supplies, there are at least three different
kinds of supplies. Some supplies have one 12V output,
some have two 12V outputs labelled 12V1/12V2, and the remainder have
three or four 12V outputs (12V1/12V2/12V3/12V4). The fact that the
A8N-SLI uses EZ-Plug, means if you use a supply with three or four
12V outputs, you will end up shorting two of the 12V outputs together
when EZ-Plug is plugged in. But, for stability, you need the EZ-Plug,
so in a high power SLI config, it has to stay there. Thus, I would
avoid any supply with more than two 12V outputs. That means I would
avoid the Silverstone ST65ZF or the Turbocool 850 SSI, for use with
A8N-SLI (or any board sporting an EZ-Plug). There is nothing wrong
with using those supplies for some other motherboard maker's SLI
motherboard (because they won't use the EZ-Plug method).

(Silverstone is quad output)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

(Turbocool 850 is quad output)
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...view=techspecs

The Turbocool 510 SLI looks good, due to its single
+12V output rail. Electrically, it is a perfect candidate for the job,
but the fan is a bit on the noisy side. (That is because it can operate
in a 50C ambient environment, more than the other supplies.) I think
the Enermax EG701AX should also be OK, as it is a 12V1/12V2 type supply.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...view=techspecs

Post back how it turns out, so others will benefit. It could be
power, or it could be something crazy, like the thread above suggesting
Asus Probe was causing problems. There is nothing really wrong with the
HEC power supply - HEC does make decent supplies - but a high end SLI
is a pretty nasty load. Or at least the symptoms make it look that way.
Working long distance with Mesh doesn't sound like much fun...

Paul
Old August 10th 05, 04:09 PM
BigJim

I have to agree with Paul it is probably your power supply.

Old August 10th 05, 04:17 PM
Mal Franks

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, said...
I have to agree with Paul it is probably your power supply.

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , Mal Franks
wrote:

[...]

Thanks chaps. To his credit Davey the Technical Service Administrator
said that he thought that power was the problem - unfortunately when the
actual servicing chaps got their hands on it they failed to fix this.

Just received an email from Davey saying:

"I received your emails. Copies of them and a copy of your PC Advisor
thread were passed to an administrator in the Service Centre this
morning personally with a few choice words. I have left the details
with her and intend to head back down there later to discuss the matter
further."

So hopefully I'll get better results this time

Mal
Old August 15th 05, 05:25 AM
fsda

Mal Franks wrote in
t:

[...]

@
18A and 1 x 12V @ 17A)

Mal

I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig back
in December 2004.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX-55
2 x eVGA 6800GT
5 hard drives
DVD+RW/DL
CD-ROM
Audigy 2ZS
Adaptec PCI SCSI card
Enermax EG701AX v2.0

You will note that my power supply IS listed on the Nvidia SLI-certified
list.

I have noticed that while it often locks up like this in games, it will
also happen during normal use of WinXP (e.g. while web browsing).

What I have found over six months of this is the following:

- This can happen while running games. Some games are more likely to
cause this crash. FS2004 is one that I have found that will often do
this in full-screen mode, if I have the system in SLI mode.

- If I am not running games, the crash will still occur, usually before
24 hours is up, but definately by 48 hours. Even if the system is
sitting idle.

- Running a game in SLI mode definately accelerates the time it takes
for the crash to occur. However, if, say, my system has been up an
running for 24 hours, a game is more likely to crash as you describe
than if it has been freshly rebooted.

- The time-dependency is not a temperature issue - i.e. the system comes
to stable temperature pretty quick (and I have many fans providing
adequate cooling). Of course, when playing a game, the video card fans
speed up!

- The system is very stable WHEN NOT IN SLI MODE. I.e. the crashes that
you describe above do NOT occur for me when in "standard" video mode.
It's only after activating SLI mode that the crashes that you describe
occur.

I've had a very frustrating experience with this since I built the
system. The fact that the system is only stable for long periods when
SLI is deactivated means that I usually run in single card mode, and
have to reboot into SLI mode to play a quick game. I hate doing this
because it can interupt background work that is going on - it's clearly
not convenient.

My assumption is that there is some kind of a "memory leak" in the
driver, which would explain why time seems to be important, even if not
actually running a SLI game. Having said that, I do not see the RAM
consumption increasing...

My approach for the last six months has been to hope that new ASUS BIOS
updates and new NVIDIA driver updates would fix this. But, that was 4
or 5 BIOS and video driver versions ago. I'm running the latest release
of both, and still have this problem.

Note that back in February I went through the long process of trying to
figure out what piece of hardware was suspect by removing addin cards,
etc., one by one until the system would last under SLI mode. I got down
to an essentially bare system, and still no improvement....

I share your frustration. But, I do not think this is a power supply
issue...

The only thing I can think of trying is adjusting the memory timings. I
am running four sticks of 512MB DDR400 RAM, at 400 speed. I have them
running at the factory designated timings. These are KingstonValueRAM,
and these same units are listed on the ASUS CVL (compatibility list),
which is how I decided to buy this RAM. Note that I also ran long, long
RAM tests, tried running in DDR333 mode, tried removing two sticks,
swapped sticks, etc. Still lack of SLI stability. I cannot find
anything wrong with the memory at all.

I have considered reducing the timing of my memory (i..e slowing it
down), as early "Tom's Hardware" reviews suggested this was necessary
with beta versions of the board. But, I'm not familiar with which
settings to tweak, and by how much. You wouldn't think I'd have to do
this, though, with both my testing and with Asus' recommendation...

I have also tried swapping the place of the two video cards - no help

Any other ideas?
Old August 20th 05, 07:35 PM
RJT

fsda wrote:
Mal Franks wrote in

As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V

I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig back
in December 2004.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
FX-55
2 x eVGA 6800GT
5 hard drives
DVD+RW/DL
CD-ROM
Audigy 2ZS
Adaptec PCI SCSI card
Enermax EG701AX v2.0

Just for the record, I have this setup:
A8N-SLI Deluxe, bios 1011 final
FX-55
2 x Leadtek 6800GT
3 SATA harddrives
DVD+RW
Audigy 2ZS (last PCI slot)
Enermax EG701AX
2 Gigs - Corsair Twinx2048 2.5-3-3-8

You will note most of it is the same as the last rig here mentioned. I
however do not have the same problem, never had. I've got every power
lead that I can connect to the mobo and the graphcards connected, and
haven't overclocked anything. Also, I've installed watercooling to the
entire system, and it keeps everything very cool.