x700 vs 6600

Old August 1st 05, 12:41 AM
Veritech

Default x700 vs 6600

Imagine this question comes up all the time, but which is better
stock vanilla x700 128MB or a Vanilla Geforce 6600.(PCI-E, not that it
really matters considering the cards)

There both around the same price, the 6600 got the SLI connection but
beyond that, its hard to see the differences. I'm leaning towards the
6600 cause maybe i can oc to a 6600GT, or at least a little bit closer
than stock But is the x700 a nicer card all around.

I'm putting together a system for a mate of mine, usual low cost gaming rig
Athlon 64 3000+(939)
512 DDR 400 Ram
ECS Nforce4-939

So what do you think folks?

Old August 2nd 05, 12:59 PM
Bushy

any computer that is going to be playing games, or doing just about anything
really, needs a gig of ram minimum...in my book anyway

Old August 2nd 05, 09:10 PM
Larry Roberts

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:59:46 GMT, "Bushy"
wrote:

any computer that is going to be playing games, or doing just about anything
really, needs a gig of ram minimum...in my book anyway

I just upgraded from 12MB to 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and nothing
has changed. Doom3, and HL2 scores stayed the same. Other games seem
to have no advantage. Maybe if I did lots of video editing, and other
workstation type tuff it might show, but for what I do.... Nota!
It seems my upgrade was cosmetic at best. Maybe when I move
these 2 512MB sticks over to my Athlon64 Duel Channel system, when
it's completed, it will benifit me.

Athlon XP 3000+ (VIA KT400 mainboard)
1GB (2x 512MB) PC3200 DDR
Chaintech 6600GT AGP
ESS 1938 Solo-1 PCI Soundcard
40GB Seagate ATA-100 HDD
16x16x8 DVDR/RW (48x24x48 CDR/RW) Lite-On SOHW 1693S
650W ChiefMax PSU
Old August 5th 05, 02:21 PM
Stoneskin

Larry Roberts left a note on my windscreen which said:

I just upgraded from 12MB to 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and nothing
has changed. Doom3, and HL2 scores stayed the same. Other games seem
to have no advantage. Maybe if I did lots of video editing, and other
workstation type tuff it might show, but for what I do.... Nota!
It seems my upgrade was cosmetic at best. Maybe when I move
these 2 512MB sticks over to my Athlon64 Duel Channel system, when
it's completed, it will benifit me.

IME RAM tend to affect things like load times much more than just FPS.

In BF2 for example many people reported a stuttering when flying jets
because of texture load-in. Plus the map load times are very long.
Adding an additional 512MB RAM alleviates this to a noticeable degree.

Same goes for World of Warcraft when loading up areas high in player
activity - Ironforge auction house for example.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old August 5th 05, 08:35 PM
Veritech

Stoneskin wrote:
[...]

a budget is a budget

X700 vs 6600 Veritech Ati Videocards 0 August 1st 05 12:41 AM
buying NVidia 6600 GT, which brand XFX or ASUS? Giovanni Azua Nvidia Videocards 23 February 24th 05 11:23 PM
Help X700 XT or GeForce 6600 GT? SteveK Ati Videocards 9 January 19th 05 03:32 AM
Help choose a Mid-priced Card Ron Joiner Nvidia Videocards 4 December 31st 04 01:48 AM
Best 6600 Manufacturer Helinut Nvidia Videocards 5 December 30th 04 02:18 PM