Is it normal...

Old July 28th 05, 05:20 AM
Me

Default Is it normal...

.... to hear the PSU "wind up" when an application produces a lot of
graphics such as 3dMark 2005? I can't even make it thru 3dMark
without a crash...

6800GT PCIe
535W Enermax
Old July 28th 05, 05:25 AM
Sune Storgaard

Me wrote:
... to hear the PSU "wind up" when an application produces a lot of
graphics such as 3dMark 2005? I can't even make it thru 3dMark
without a crash...

Some PSU's have a thermal controlled fan, so it spins down according to the
temperature. And since the gfx card eats more power when its stressed, its
normal it "winds up".

6800GT PCIe
535W Enermax

Ought to be enough. Try open the case or apply extra cooling. Maybe you can
set various fans in the pc to run at full speed despite the temperature.

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".

Old July 28th 05, 08:55 AM
fasteddy

"Me" wrote in message
... to hear the PSU "wind up" when an application produces a lot of
graphics such as 3dMark 2005? I can't even make it thru 3dMark
without a crash...

6800GT PCIe
535W Enermax

You know? I've just boxed up an Enermax coolergiant 480w. for RMA!
It couldn't run my A8V and 6800GT if I connected more than 3 drives.

Not good... put in an Antec 550w true and all is well.

Old July 29th 05, 05:43 AM
Mikey S.

Hi,
....and "what else is in the case" eating the power.