Best card for my mid ranged computer

Old July 19th 05, 09:18 AM
Benny Johnson

Default Best card for my mid ranged computer

My computer:

Intel P4 2.6Ghz
1GB RAM (I'm not sure what type of RAM)
GeForce Ti4600

With some new games coming out soon, I'm upgrading my computer by purchasing a
newer graphic card.

Here are my current selections:

GeForce 5950
GeForce 6600GT
GeForce 6800
GeForce 6800GT or Ultra

Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a BOTTLENECK
for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it will be
fine..." but they don't really answer my question.

Regards.

Old July 19th 05, 09:28 AM
Andrew

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:18:58 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
wrote:

Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a BOTTLENECK
for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it will be
fine..." but they don't really answer my question.

What do you want to run on it at what resolution/FSAA levels?
Old July 19th 05, 09:57 AM
Benny Johnson

I'm not a real hard core high resolution buff, I usually don't go higher than
1024x768, so that will be fine for me. The games I want to run will be coming
out in the near future, like the Halo, Gothic, Morrowind, Doom, Half life games,
all those. My Ti4600 chugs away with the older versions of these games, but I
can still play them on low resolutions. With the FSAA, I usually have it set for
max, but I can always turn it down a notch if I need to. I'm not trying to get a
picture perfect smooth game, just one where I don't have 10 frames per second or
anything.

I'm afraid that I'm going to get this card and everything else will be outdate,
like my bios, ram, everything. Do I have to consider all these things too?

Old July 19th 05, 10:00 AM
Andrew

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:57:24 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
wrote:

I'm not a real hard core high resolution buff, I usually don't go higher than
1024x768, so that will be fine for me. The games I want to run will be coming
out in the near future, like the Halo, Gothic, Morrowind, Doom, Half life games,
all those. My Ti4600 chugs away with the older versions of these games, but I
can still play them on low resolutions. With the FSAA, I usually have it set for
max, but I can always turn it down a notch if I need to. I'm not trying to get a
picture perfect smooth game, just one where I don't have 10 frames per second or
anything.

In that case, a 6600GT will be a good upgrade for you. I am happy with
mine.
Old July 19th 05, 12:00 PM
Als

"Benny Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

I have essentially the same rig as yours. While I did get the 6600gt, for
the price now the 6800 would the best choice. Make sure you AGP port will
support it.

Old July 19th 05, 02:10 PM
Alameda

--

Hi, 6600GT will be an excellent choice for that system, those games, and
1024x768 resolution. I had one on my old pc (an old AMD 2400+) and it ran

Old July 19th 05, 02:17 PM
Benny Johnson

Hi, thanks for the info.

By the way, are you suggesting the "6800 non-ultra" when you say get the 6800
since it's cheaper now?

Old July 19th 05, 04:23 PM
Charlie

Replaced my MX4000 with a 6600GT and what a difference. make sure your power
supply can handle at least 350W. New p/s's are cheap I got a 420W for $39 at
Tiger direct

--

Charlie

Old July 19th 05, 04:31 PM
DaveL

For resolutions up to 1280x1024 go with either the 6600GT or the 6800. Any
higher res you'll need a 6800GT or Ultra.

DaveL

Old July 19th 05, 04:49 PM
BigJim

I was running a p4 2.4 and had a ti4200, I bumped the memory up to 1 gig and
added a 6600gt.
Big improvement.