Ram Check

Old August 31st 03, 06:27 PM
James

Default Ram Check

Does anyone know where I can buy Ram Check hardware - or anything that tests
RAM?

thanks
James

Old August 31st 03, 07:16 PM
Peter Cavan

Hi
Have you tried running a program called MemTest86? I don't know of any
hardware to test RAM, though there probably are some.
PC

Old August 31st 03, 08:05 PM
James

"Peter Cavan" wrote in message
Hi
Have you tried running a program called MemTest86? I don't know of any
hardware to test RAM, though there probably are some.
PC

yes memtest86 - is good, there is hardware for testing ram. What I am
worried about is not being able to start the system and not being able to
test the ram as i cannot boot to disk - or should I not worry about this?

Old September 1st 03, 10:08 PM
John McGaw

"James" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can buy Ram Check hardware - or anything that

tests
RAM?

thanks
James

There are several different ram testing units available -- just google for
"ram tester". But I'll predict now that you will be able to buy many many
gigabytes of new memory before you will begin to pay for the tester. At
today's prices it is cheaper and easier to buy new memory and use it as
"known-good" for testing in the computer by swapping. Just put a drop of
paint on the corner of the good memory so you don't get it confused.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old September 1st 03, 11:26 PM
James

"John McGaw" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can buy Ram Check hardware - or anything that

tests
RAM?

thanks
James

There are several different ram testing units available -- just google for
"ram tester". But I'll predict now that you will be able to buy many many
gigabytes of new memory before you will begin to pay for the tester. At
today's prices it is cheaper and easier to buy new memory and use it as
"known-good" for testing in the computer by swapping. Just put a drop of
paint on the corner of the good memory so you don't get it confused.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Thanks for the advice - Can you tell me what the most common memory I am
likely to meet in the field? - I assume PC133 168pin Dimms are the most
common, but what do you think the percentage of other memory is in use?

thanks

Old September 2nd 03, 03:02 AM
WebWalker

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:05:01 +0100, "James"
wrote:

yes memtest86 - is good, there is hardware for testing ram. What I am
worried about is not being able to start the system and not being able to
test the ram as i cannot boot to disk - or should I not worry about this?

During the bootup process, did you hear any beeps?

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279