Can't hold off any longer!.....

Old July 13th 05, 07:56 PM
Jonni

Default Can't hold off any longer!.....

Hi,

1st post so go easy )

Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me well
for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and realised
it's time!.

I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't really
have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range Nvidia at
the moment so I am looking to the second hand market for something cheaper.

The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around 100 max
which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider the
Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at
800x600 and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.

Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend
for not much improvement.

Any pointers much appreciated

Preferrably Nvidia....

Jonni
Old July 13th 05, 08:58 PM
Glitch

Jonni wrote:
/cut/

The nVidia 6600GT is the best bet for your system as it is about 4xTi50
but you chould also consider 6800LE. The latter (6800LE) is a great card
beacuse with some luck you can unlock 16 pipelines and thus making the
card about 1.5x faster.
However both cards slighlty exceed your 100 pound limit but you won't be
dissapointed with them.
If money is an issue consider taking a nVidia 6200 and mod it into a 6600.
--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535
Old July 14th 05, 02:42 AM
McGrandpa

"Jonni" wrote in message

[...]

That has an AGP slot, 4X/8X ? Look up a 6600 GT AGP. If that looks
slow, your 2 gHz CPU might be a bottleneck for it or anything higher,
like a 6800 AGP or 6800 GT AGP.
McG.

Old July 14th 05, 04:44 AM
Dragoncarer

"Jonni" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jonni and welcome.
I don't know how much a 6600GT goes for over in the isle of angels (or
angles), but I've heard that it's the good 'price-for-power point'. It
sounds like exactly what you need!

Old July 14th 05, 05:14 PM
Fido

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:56:34 GMT, Jonni wrote:

[...]

I'm using 6600gt with GTA:SA at 1024 with AA and aniso at 2x averaging
40 fps (according to fraps) on an athlon XP 2500 (1.8 mhz) with a gig
of ram. A quick search of google show the 6600gt going at just above
100
Old July 15th 05, 08:55 PM
twobirds

Jonni wrote:
[...]

Get a 6600 GT and offset the price difference by selling the TI-500 on Ebay.

Old July 16th 05, 12:53 PM
Scott

I assume you have an AGP slot and not PCI-E. If that is the case, you
may want to consider a used GeForce 6800 with the NV40 chip. The 6800
has 12 pipelines vs the 6600gt's 8 and a wider memory bus. The *beest
reason for the 6800 is with the NV40 chip there are actually 16
pipelines. Four of them are locked and they can be unlocked with
software. If you want to read a bit, go he

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/gefo...king/page2.asp

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
HP Officejet D145 - Date/Time setting won't hold after battery replacement??? Superleech Printers 2 January 7th 05 09:51 PM
Broadcom V92 modem on hold problem humanbeing Dell Computers 0 August 9th 04 02:10 AM
Beatles chart in Canada before "I Want To Hold Your Hand" Taliesyn Printers 2 July 20th 04 06:09 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Best Buy No Longer A "Best Buy" - At Least At Brooklyn NYC Store peter Printers 3 August 10th 03 03:01 PM