GeForce FX 5200 - SimCity 4?

Old November 25th 03, 02:34 PM
Simon Howson

Default GeForce FX 5200 - SimCity 4?

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade from an 64 MB All-In-Wonder 8500 DV, I have planning
to purchase a Digital Tuner card, so I no longer need an all in wonder type
card. I was considering getting an 128 MB Asus Geforce FX 5200 Video Suite.
However, I am wondering will this give me any better performance when
playing SimCity 4 Rush Hour? Does anyone play SimCity 4 Rush Hour with a
GeForce FX 5200 card? If so are you happy with the performance?
Unfortunately the Radeon 8500 suffers from slow scrolling, I am hoping to at
least get rid of this problem. I am looking at the 5200 because it is very
cheap, and considering I don't play many other games it looks like a good
choice value wise. I can't really justify spending much more than AUD$150
(US$80) on a new card.

Thank you,

Simon Howson

Old November 25th 03, 07:23 PM
Dark Avenger

"Simon Howson" wrote in message ...
[...]

May I blink for a few seconds *blink* *blink* *blink*

Mmm the question is yet up there... ah

Umm the FX5200 is damn slow! And I don't think you will get an
improvement in playing SimCity 4... maybe the 128Mb member allows up
to keep more of it in the graphic memory but that's all. The FX5200 is
fast like a 40 year old rusty bike with sport spoilers!

Old November 26th 03, 02:51 AM
Slash

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:42:47 -0000, "Paul"
scribbled:

im using a Ti4800 and still find when there's a lot on screen sim city 4
scrolls pretty slowly, probably bad game engine imo

SimCity 4 is an extraordinary CPU hog - how fast is the computer you
want to put the FX5200 into? The 8500 is a pretty decent card if you
stick to resolutions of 1024x768 or lower for most things, but if you
have a slower processing subsystem or small amount of memory (SC4 also
eats memory like some sort of crazy memory eating machine) it might
not make any difference whatsoever.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion
Old November 26th 03, 09:07 AM
Dark Avenger

Slash wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:42:47 -0000, "Paul"
scribbled:

im using a Ti4800 and still find when there's a lot on screen sim city 4
scrolls pretty slowly, probably bad game engine imo

SimCity 4 is an extraordinary CPU hog - how fast is the computer you
want to put the FX5200 into? The 8500 is a pretty decent card if you
stick to resolutions of 1024x768 or lower for most things, but if you
have a slower processing subsystem or small amount of memory (SC4 also
eats memory like some sort of crazy memory eating machine) it might
not make any difference whatsoever.

-Slash

I had it running with 1 Gigabyte of Memory....and indeed, then yet it
isn't perfect. But my system is nice up to the job

- Asus P4S8X
- Intel Pentium 4, Ghz
- 1 Gb, PC3200
- Ati Radeon 9500 Pro ( then a Leadtek ti4800SE card )

So I didn't had much "scrollies" but going from far vision to a lower
level did take a second or two to do... it's just a heavy game!
Old November 26th 03, 09:48 AM
Simon Howson

"Slash" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:42:47 -0000, "Paul"
scribbled:

im using a Ti4800 and still find when there's a lot on screen sim city 4
scrolls pretty slowly, probably bad game engine imo

SimCity 4 is an extraordinary CPU hog - how fast is the computer you
want to put the FX5200 into? The 8500 is a pretty decent card if you
stick to resolutions of 1024x768 or lower for most things, but if you
have a slower processing subsystem or small amount of memory (SC4 also
eats memory like some sort of crazy memory eating machine) it might
not make any difference whatsoever.

The system is Athlon XP 2100 (266 DDR), 768 MB RAM.

So will a GeForce FX 5200 be any better than what I currently have?

Thanks,

Simon Howson