Anyone got a working lan with A7N8X-X onboard lan chip?

Old January 8th 04, 07:15 PM
Bob H

Default Anyone got a working lan with A7N8X-X onboard lan chip?

Well, that is the question , as per the subject.

Prior to installing this board I had 2 Realtek NICs in my 2 MS boxes, Win2k
and Win98se, connected through a router to the internet, and everything was
working honky dory.
Now, with new Asus board and onboard lan chip in the Win2k box, I don't have
a working lan. Both machines can get online ok, both machines can ping each
other, and the icon in the taskbar says' data is flowing, BUT neither
machine can see each other in network neighbourhood!

Is this due to having 2 different NIC's or what?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old January 8th 04, 10:53 PM
Paul

In article , "Bob H"
wrote:

Well, that is the question , as per the subject.

Prior to installing this board I had 2 Realtek NICs in my 2 MS boxes, Win2k
and Win98se, connected through a router to the internet, and everything was
working honky dory.
Now, with new Asus board and onboard lan chip in the Win2k box, I don't have
a working lan. Both machines can get online ok, both machines can ping each
other, and the icon in the taskbar says' data is flowing, BUT neither
machine can see each other in network neighbourhood!

Is this due to having 2 different NIC's or what?

Thanks

The NVMAC (ethernet) and NVGUID (firewire networking) can be blasted
by a BIOS upgrade. Have a look here for more details on restoring a
unique MAC address. If a BIOS tries to use a weird MAC address, the
networking device at the other end of the Ethernet link may refuse to
work with it:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21050

If that isn't the problem, then authentication issues between Microsoft
OSes that have different expectations about domains and the like can
prevent simple networking situations from working. I haven't a clue how
you solve those problems...

HTH,
Paul
Old January 9th 04, 08:56 PM

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:15:59 -0000, "Bob H"
wrote:

Well, that is the question , as per the subject.

Prior to installing this board I had 2 Realtek NICs in my 2 MS boxes, Win2k
and Win98se, connected through a router to the internet, and everything was
working honky dory.
Now, with new Asus board and onboard lan chip in the Win2k box, I don't have
a working lan. Both machines can get online ok, both machines can ping each
other, and the icon in the taskbar says' data is flowing, BUT neither
machine can see each other in network neighbourhood!

Is this due to having 2 different NIC's or what?

Thanks

Hope I'm not telling grannie how to suck eggs. You have got both PC's
configured with the same work group?
--
Peter Langley
Old January 9th 04, 11:43 PM
Bob H

wrote:

[...]

Err, yes I have. Just had to check before I said so.

Any other ideas

Thanks

--
Bob H