9600GS?

Old November 12th 08, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giovanni

Default 9600GS?

I'm looking at buying a computer (Acer Aspire) which is described as
having a 9600GS videocard (GeForce® 9600GS 768MB/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD).
There doesn't seem to be such a card, I can find 9600GT and 9600GSO but
no GS. Maybe they got the name wrong or is there such a card? And is it
a good combination with a Intel Q9400 CPU?

Old November 13th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Giovanni wrote:
I'm looking at buying a computer (Acer Aspire) which is described as
having a 9600GS videocard (GeForce® 9600GS 768MB/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD).
There doesn't seem to be such a card, I can find 9600GT and 9600GSO but
no GS. Maybe they got the name wrong or is there such a card? And is it
a good combination with a Intel Q9400 CPU?

There are some variations on what is offered for sale as a 9600 GSO.
There are two examples here, one having a "narrow" memory interface.
I've also seen cards listed, as having either 64 stream processors
or 96 stream processors. So the manufacturers can play games if
they want.

ASUS EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M 96 stream, 192 bit interface, 384MB memory

ASUS EN9600GSO MAGIC/HTDP/512M 96 stream, 128 bit interface, 512MB memory

It could be, that the Acer card is just another variation on
a 9600 GSO, attempting to use up some left over chips.

Before buying the computer, make sure

1) It has a roomy case.
2) That it uses a standard ATX supply.

If you find the 9600GS performance is too low for what you
want to do, you'd want to make sure the computer can be
upgraded to a better video card. It should have room for
you to replace the ATX supply and use a more powerful one.
The video card slot should be long enough to accept a
real video card (perhaps 10" long). Some video cards
now, have two PCI Express auxiliary power connectors,
and you need a supply that can handle the loading on
the 12V rail.

Paul
Old November 13th 08, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Giovanni" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a computer (Acer Aspire) which is described as
having a 9600GS videocard (GeForce® 9600GS 768MB/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD).
There doesn't seem to be such a card, I can find 9600GT and 9600GSO but no
GS. Maybe they got the name wrong or is there such a card? And is it a
good combination with a Intel Q9400 CPU?

That's because it's an an integrated mobile version featuring a lacklustre
G94M GPU which has rather underwhelming perfromance for a desktop box.....
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GS.9450.0.html

Old November 13th 08, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Augustus wrote:
"Giovanni" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a computer (Acer Aspire) which is described as
having a 9600GS videocard (GeForce® 9600GS 768MB/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD).
There doesn't seem to be such a card, I can find 9600GT and 9600GSO but no
GS. Maybe they got the name wrong or is there such a card? And is it a
good combination with a Intel Q9400 CPU?

That's because it's an an integrated mobile version featuring a lacklustre
G94M GPU which has rather underwhelming perfromance for a desktop box.....
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GS.9450.0.html

I think the computer is the M5641 here, on page 6. It has integrated
graphics, a PCI Express x16 slot, and they bundle the 9600GS card
as well. My guess is, it is a half-baked 9600 GSO. Seeing as
there is a blow-out on those right now.

http://www.acer.nl/public/wr-resourc...r%20PCs_NL.pdf

Paul
Old November 13th 08, 04:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Augustus wrote:
"Giovanni" wrote in message
I'm looking at buying a computer (Acer Aspire) which is described as
having a 9600GS videocard (GeForce® 9600GS 768MB/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD).
There doesn't seem to be such a card, I can find 9600GT and 9600GSO but
no GS. Maybe they got the name wrong or is there such a card? And is it
a good combination with a Intel Q9400 CPU?

That's because it's an an integrated mobile version featuring a
lacklustre G94M GPU which has rather underwhelming perfromance for a
desktop box.....
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...GS.9450.0.html

I think the computer is the M5641 here, on page 6. It has integrated
graphics, a PCI Express x16 slot, and they bundle the 9600GS card
as well. My guess is, it is a half-baked 9600 GSO. Seeing as
there is a blow-out on those right now.

http://www.acer.nl/public/wr-resourc...r%20PCs_NL.pdf

Actually, now that I think about it, a 9600GS is a rebranded
8800GS...identical in every respect except the name.

Old November 13th 08, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giovanni

Paul wrote:
Augustus wrote:
"Giovanni" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, that's the one. This specific version has the following
characteristics (c&p-ed):

Intel® CoreT2 Quad-processor 9400 . 4GB DDR2 (2x2GB) . 1280GB
(2x640GB) . DVD-RW (dual layer) . Blu-ray Disc® ROM . NVIDIA® 9600GS
768/2175MB TGM DVI VGA HD . Cardreader . FireWire . WiFi LAN . 1Gb LAN .
Incl. Wireless US Int.
keyboard & optical mouse . Microsoft® Windows® VistaT Home Premium
(NL/UK)

It would cost me 850 Euro plus 150 Euro in sort of monopoly money,
without monitor. I don't think I can change the videocard before
delivery but I might ask, no idea whether the case will hold a bigger,
better card. Difficult question; for the money, would you say this is a
good enough (or even great) system or would you keep looking?
And, of course, thanks for the info.

Old November 13th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Giovanni wrote:
Paul wrote:
Augustus wrote:
"Giovanni" wrote in message
[...]

Well, here is a comparison of our guesses.

8800 GS versus 9600 GSO
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=551&card2=563

It is not a bad card, as long as you aren't paying extra for it.
Whether it will keep you happy, really depends on what kind of
games you plan to play on it. The demands of the games,
keep going up.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...600gso/10.html

Paul
Old November 13th 08, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Giovanni

Paul wrote:
Giovanni wrote:
Paul wrote:
Augustus wrote:
"Giovanni" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I've done with all (just 3 since 1997) my computers so far,
after a year or 2 I bought a new videocard, added some ram, maybe added
or exchanged the hard disk and the thing had another 2 years of
reasonable life in it. I think this system has high enough specs to go
down that route again. It will run GTA4 smoothly, the next GTA might
need a new card and the one after that a new system.
Thanks for the info.