Is my EVGA GeForce 7950 GT KO video card broken?

Old December 27th 08, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

Default Is my EVGA GeForce 7950 GT KO video card broken?

Hi.

I was using old Norton Ghost 2003 DOS to make backups and then my video
screen goes corrupted and I get video signal loss. I was able to
reproduce this easily with three attempts so far. It seems to vary on
how long it takes to reproduce (5 to 20 minutes).

I never saw this problem in Windows XP Pro. SP3, especially when gaming
(last gaming was last night with Portal).

I opened up my case to peak inside. I accidently touched the video card
and DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN, IT WAS FRACKIN HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost
burned my fingers. I touched other cards and chips and they were just
warm. I don't think that video card is supposed to be this hot
especially with the cooler weather (only 72 degrees(F)/22.2 degrees(C)
in my room) and I am not even gaming or anything stressful to the video
card!

I booted back to Windows XP to check out the values with RivaTuner:
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/6363/coretempnu4.gif ... Negative
temperatures for C? They aren't correct after converted to F (still
negative). Something is busted I think. I can't tell if the video card
fan is working at all. How can I tell when it is on? I don't see
anything moving/spinning and feel any heat blowing out (not sure where
the exit is.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old December 27th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Sorry, don't understand why can't you see the fan spinning or not....it's
plainly visible from the top.
http://www.allnumerique.com/photos-n...rclocked-1.jpg
Based on your description, it sounds like a classic fan failure/overheating
issue. Have no idea why your RivaTuner readouts are so bizarre.

Old December 27th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

On 12/26/2008 8:43 PM PT, Augustus typed:

[...]

Oh, I see the fan now. It was hard to see because I have cards and
cables blocking the views. Yep, it is not moving and trying to make it
spin with my finger was not smooth.
--
"Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia -- national guard...
That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war between men and

Old December 27th 08, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

..
You may want to check if this company offers a good replacement
fan:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=91

This fan control program also checks whether all your fans are working:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You might want to check whether it works better on your type of
Motherboard than RivaTuner does.

Robert

Old December 27th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

On 12/27/2008 4:58 AM PT, Robert Miles typed:

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Since this is EVGA with its lifetime warranty, wouldn't it be better to
RMA it?

This fan control program also checks whether all your fans are working:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Oh dang. Core shows 136F degrees and GPU shows 194F degrees. And like I
said in my last night's 9:04 PM PST reply, I found out the fan is indeed
not spinning and I can't push it softly to move it easily.
--
"Even the wishes of a small ant reach heaven." --Japanese
/\___/\

Old December 28th 08, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Miles

m...

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not familiar with the details of that, but it seems worth trying a RMA
first.

Old December 28th 08, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

On 12/28/2008 5:18 AM PT, Robert Miles typed:

[...]

Guess what? My video card died when I rebooted yesterday afternoon. My
computer refused to display anything and hung in doing nothing. I tried
my friend's GeForce 6800 PCIe and it was fine. I am RMAing the card!
Dang, I only had it for two years! That was short.
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Old December 29th 08, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin

With the fan not working why were you using the computer at all?

"Ant" wrote in message
news
[...]

With the fan not working why were you using the computer at all? It needed
immidiate attention.

Old December 29th 08, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant

On 12/28/2008 7:23 PM PT, Kevin typed:

With the fan not working why were you using the computer at all?

Because I need to use the PC. Well, it finally stopped working when I
went to power off and then turn on yesterday. Oy! Time to RMA it.
--
"An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money."
--unknown