Major Computer Problems

Old November 12th 03, 09:39 PM
philo

"Toronto Garage Door Company" wrote in
message
. cable.rogers.com...
I live in Toronto Canada, and I have some serious computer problems
First I will explain why I am angry .. then I will explain the problems I

am
having with my computer lol

I tried installing Macromedia Dreamweaver...Fireworks and Microsoft Office
2003. Each time I got an error saying that I require a newer version of
windows. Windows 2000 or later!

So normally I would NEVER use WinME...but I have some serious problems

with
my computer. I've taken it in to the repair shop a few times...but to no
avail..they say nothing is wrong with my board...chip...or memory. The
problems have been active since the day I purchased my computer...and as
stupid as I am, I did not send it back to them, and I lost out on

warranty.
I'll eat whatever I have to in order to get it working properly however,
since it was my fault for not returning it!

What happens is I constantly get page faults when browsing with Internet
Explorer. Explorer will crash quite frequently, and I have to restart my
browser all over again. A few times it was some sort of HTML.dll
error....but not every time.

This is VERY annoying...but something I learned to live with. I have tried
installing WinXP on this computer...but for some reason after a month or

two
.. I will end up getting a blue code stop error (C00002x or whatever the
number is) ...or the computer starts acting VERY wierd...like losing all
icons on my desktop, and can't get them back no matter what I do .. and

I'm
back to format and reinstalling an operating system....IF that even works.

My computer is a 1.9ghz p4...80gig HD .. 256ddr ram .. geforce 4 mx440 ...
and the thing runs 100000000X worse than my 700mhz hp used to lol

When I first purchased it, while installing an OS, the computer would go
blue code stop during install every time. When I took it in to a repair
shop, they said that when they unplugged my DVD Rom, it seemed to smooth

the
problem out. They said there was some sort of conflict. So I learned to
live without the DVD Rom.

Then, I took the computer in to get it repaired again when my motherboard
shorted out. They replaced the board, and while they were doing that I
explained to them my problems with programs constantly crashing, and my OS
issues. They said that it could be either a memory problem, or a cpu
problem. They ran tests on the memory and cpu....everything checked out.

tried using a different video card.....still problems.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am at a complete loss!!!
Thanks!
Arjay

i recommend doing a clean install of XP

though i don;t run winME i triple boot my machine
with win98se RedHat7 and XP

the win98 crashes pretty often
but the Red Hat and XP never crash at all

Old November 12th 03, 10:12 PM
kony

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:20:42 GMT, "Toronto Garage Door Company"
wrote:

I live in Toronto Canada, and I have some serious computer problems
First I will explain why I am angry .. then I will explain the problems I am
having with my computer lol

I tried installing Macromedia Dreamweaver...Fireworks and Microsoft Office
2003. Each time I got an error saying that I require a newer version of
windows. Windows 2000 or later!

I'd not have tried Office 2K3, but then I think it's ludicrous to keep
buying new office versions, Office 97 or 2K is about as good as it
gets.

So normally I would NEVER use WinME...but I have some serious problems with
my computer.

I"m a little confused... You use WinME BECAUSE you have ... problems?

I've taken it in to the repair shop a few times...but to no
avail..they say nothing is wrong with my board...chip...or memory.

So, exactly what DID they say? Could they not find any problems at
all, even those you're encountering, so basically it just wasn't
feasible for them to use the system long enough until the problem
occured?

At this point your post goes wrong, because you still haven't yet even
mentioned WHAT the problem is, EXACTLY.

The
problems have been active since the day I purchased my computer...and as
stupid as I am, I did not send it back to them, and I lost out on warranty.

Yep, that was a mistake. You still haven't done the 2nd most
important thing though, telling us EXACTLY what this system is,
make/model/hardware inside.

I'll eat whatever I have to in order to get it working properly however,
since it was my fault for not returning it!

What happens is I constantly get page faults when browsing with Internet
Explorer. Explorer will crash quite frequently, and I have to restart my
browser all over again. A few times it was some sort of HTML.dll
error....but not every time.

Is "HTML.DLL" even a part of windows or just a buggy browser plugin?
You should stick with the default windows install, adding nothing,
until you can confirm that windows itself does (or doesn't) work
properly by itself. Then add ONLY the application having problems,
and extensively use it, try to recreate the problem.

This is VERY annoying...but something I learned to live with. I have tried
installing WinXP on this computer...but for some reason after a month or two

If it takes a month or two, you have either added extra software that
causes problems, or left open security holes and are infested with
viri, trojans, or other 3rd-party junk like browser helper objects,
toolbar plugins (or whatever), or it's when you update windows...
never update windows unless you have a specific problem addressed by
the update, and if a signficant update, always make a backup of the
system prior to the update, so you can roll-back if needed.

.. I will end up getting a blue code stop error (C00002x or whatever the
number is) ...or the computer starts acting VERY wierd...like losing all
icons on my desktop, and can't get them back no matter what I do .. and I'm
back to format and reinstalling an operating system....IF that even works.

Losing icons could be a video card issue, or you've far too many icons
and have exceeded the GUI resources available... easy on WinME but
shouldn't happen on WinXP.

My computer is a 1.9ghz p4

No, that's only the processor. If you want solutions we must have
details, not generic details but exactly what you have there, to
narrow possibilities and find how it differs from every other setup.

...80gig HD .. 256ddr ram .. geforce 4 mx440 ...

Is the video card staying cool enough? Is it a top name-brand or a
generic brand of questionable quality? Had you tried different video
drivers?

and the thing runs 100000000X worse than my 700mhz hp used to lol
When I first purchased it, while installing an OS, the computer would go
blue code stop during install every time. When I took it in to a repair
shop, they said that when they unplugged my DVD Rom, it seemed to smooth the
problem out. They said there was some sort of conflict. So I learned to
live without the DVD Rom.

This is significant. After the DVD was removed, did the system still
have the same blue-screen errors during the OS install? Have you
tried different IDE cables and double-checked the IDE drive jumper
settings?

If removal of the drive didn't actually eliminate the errors in
operation when doing a fresh install, or running the OS BEFORE adding
other applications/plugins/etc, then it'd be more likely the memory or
power supply, or motherboard after time had elapsed, but not at first,
and if it were any of these items it shouldn't have worked fine for a
month or two when WinXP were first installed, then had problems later.
Except, if that month of stable operation was when the ambient temp
was atypically cold, the system might've had a cooling issue, or if
ambient temp was high, some (poor) capacitors might be functioning
better than at lower temps, that as temp goes down, the system would
be closer and closer to instability.

Then, I took the computer in to get it repaired again when my motherboard
shorted out.

"Shorted out"? What were the symptoms of that? Did the computer shop
"set up" the new motherboard? Was it the same motherboard or
different make/model/etc? Have you tried updating the BIOS or
changing any of system settings, particularly the BIOS settings?

They replaced the board, and while they were doing that I
explained to them my problems with programs constantly crashing, and my OS
issues. They said that it could be either a memory problem, or a cpu
problem.

Well since the motherboard had "supposedly" just died, it would
obviously, potentially be the motherboard too, unless you've left out
a signficant detail about why and how it failed.

Odds are it was not a CPU problem. CPU problems on a (semi) working
system are very, very rare. If the heatsink is properly installed and
the fan works, the system gets even a little airflow, we should ignore
the CPU and focus on the rest of the system.

They ran tests on the memory and cpu....everything checked out.

Now we're at the point that it's significant how much you trust the
shop, not only their honesty but their competence. Brief memory
testing or with a poor testing software could easily miss errors that
don't occur very frequently. You might try running
http://www.memtest86.com for at least 1 day straight, and if there are
any doubts try different memory, or moving the memory to a different
slot(s).

I tried using a different video card.....still problems.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am at a complete loss!!!
Thanks!
Arjay

As I briefly mentioned above, you need to isolate this, whether it has
problems only in the OS, after installing (or being infected with)
other code, or if it still can't even install the OS. If you weren't
installing the OS from the original Windows CD or an OEM pressed CD
(not a CDR or CDRW disc), use the original disc.

Update the motherboard bios and run the system in a basic
configuration, with no unessential hardware or software. It MUST be
determined when the errors occur, before or after the OS (and
applications it runs) are changed from a clean install.

What make/model/etc power supply is this?
Do you have a voltage meter, ability to check power supply voltage
readings with it, or at the very least, see voltage readings in the
BIOS or with a windows hardware monitor type utility?

Dave
Old November 12th 03, 11:39 PM
@drian

"santa" wrote in message
you really are an ungrateful little **** aren't you.

Grateful for what? Posting a problem and being insulted in return? I'm
hard pressed to see where he would be grateful. Even if he ("Bastet") had
anything useful to say, do you think the OP will listen to it with the
answer being mixed in with arrogant retorts?

Someone told you

Yeah, "Someone" of no consequence...

what
your problem was and he just agreed that you weren't using your head now
your in a snit.

So tell me, what advice do you give the OP to help him solve his problem?
After all, he/she comes here for advice, do you have something useful to
contribute?

@drian.

Old November 12th 03, 11:43 PM
@drian

"Toronto Garage Door Company" wrote in
message
. cable.rogers.com...
My computer is a 1.9ghz p4...80gig HD .. 256ddr ram .. geforce 4 mx440 ...
and the thing runs 100000000X worse than my 700mhz hp used to lol

What make/model is your motherboard and what make/model is the RAM modules?
One other thing, I personally wouldn't recommend mixing makes of RAM
modules. I don't know if you are doing that, but I've seen instances of
systems failing due to an unknown brand mixed with brand name. Just an
idea.

@drian.

Old November 12th 03, 11:54 PM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
I'd not have tried Office 2K3, but then I think it's ludicrous to keep
buying new office versions, Office 97 or 2K is about as good as it
gets.

Agreed. I like Office 2000. Modern enough but not overly bloated like
Office XP.

At this point your post goes wrong, because you still haven't yet even
mentioned WHAT the problem is, EXACTLY.

I think the page faults while browsing the Internet would be high on the
list:

---
What happens is I constantly get page faults when browsing with Internet
Explorer. Explorer will crash quite frequently, and I have to restart my
browser all over again. A few times it was some sort of HTML.dll
error....but not every time.
---

But a link to a screenshot or copied text from an error message would be
useful, agreed.

Is "HTML.DLL" even a part of windows or just a buggy browser plugin?
You should stick with the default windows install, adding nothing,
until you can confirm that windows itself does (or doesn't) work
properly by itself. Then add ONLY the application having problems,
and extensively use it, try to recreate the problem.

I think he means MSHTML.DLL, as on almost every Windows 2000 and XP machine.
I've seen page faults and errors relating to that file before. When I've
seen those errors, it's been in relation to memory errors.

@drian.

Old November 13th 03, 12:46 AM
kony

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:54:58 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

At this point your post goes wrong, because you still haven't yet even
mentioned WHAT the problem is, EXACTLY.

I think the page faults while browsing the Internet would be high on the
list:

---
What happens is I constantly get page faults when browsing with Internet
Explorer. Explorer will crash quite frequently, and I have to restart my
browser all over again. A few times it was some sort of HTML.dll
error....but not every time.
---

But a link to a screenshot or copied text from an error message would be
useful, agreed.

Part of what I meant, is that we need a clear idea of exactly when,
and only when, any and all problems occur. If it were only the
browser, it's a lot easier, but it was also during OS install, but no
mention made of exactly when, or if it varied... insufficient data to
draw conclusions.

The problem is that the browser bluescreen isn't the only error, so at
least the most probably cause of that error, isn't the only problem.
A problem that interferes with the installation of the OS as
mentioned, would not be isolated to use of the browser while running
the OS. Either the error isn't telling, or there are multiple
problems.

Is "HTML.DLL" even a part of windows or just a buggy browser plugin?
You should stick with the default windows install, adding nothing,
until you can confirm that windows itself does (or doesn't) work
properly by itself. Then add ONLY the application having problems,
and extensively use it, try to recreate the problem.

I think he means MSHTML.DLL, as on almost every Windows 2000 and XP machine.
I've seen page faults and errors relating to that file before. When I've
seen those errors, it's been in relation to memory errors.

Maybe, but then again some viri and other plugins will use filenames
that look innocent enough, possibly similar to OS files.

Dave

Old November 13th 03, 12:48 AM
santa

"~misfit~" wrote in message
santa wrote:
"Toronto Garage Door Company" wrote in
message
le.rogers.com...
Next time I want to be insulted by an ignorant asshole, I'll be sure
to remember your email address....

putz.....

you really are an ungrateful little **** aren't you. Someone told
you what your problem was and he just agreed that you weren't using
your head now your in a snit.

Bull****. Someone gave their opinion, they didn't 'tell you what your
problem was'.

That opinion is simply that, and most likely incorrect. The OP was quite
right to reply in the same tone in which he was adressed.
--
~misfit~

Oh I'm so sorry I'll get out my sackcloth and ashes where can I do penance
and get absolution? How much does a good dispensation cost these days I
wonder, one choir boy, two choir boys?

Ok now its your turn!

claus

Old November 13th 03, 01:01 AM
santa

"@drian" wrote in message
"santa" wrote in message
you really are an ungrateful little **** aren't you.

Grateful for what? Posting a problem and being insulted in return? I'm
hard pressed to see where he would be grateful. Even if he ("Bastet") had
anything useful to say, do you think the OP will listen to it with the
answer being mixed in with arrogant retorts?

Someone told you

Yeah, "Someone" of no consequence...

what
your problem was and he just agreed that you weren't using your head now
your in a snit.

So tell me, what advice do you give the OP to help him solve his problem?
After all, he/she comes here for advice, do you have something useful to
contribute?

@drian.

YAh I can contribute. First off I'd strip the box down to the bare minimum,
clear the cmos, check that there are no critical bios upgrades, set all the
bios settings to default then load the OS then apply all the SPs to it then
make sure I had the latest level of Explorer. If its still working then I'd
put back one of the extra devices try loading Office 2003 (after making sure
I've got all the patches in). At that point if everything is working I'd
say I'd be out of the woods and then put all the rest of the boards in make
sure the drivers are up to snuff and then start loading games.
BTW I've been running XP since it came out and I've never seen a BSD. It
does crap out though and explorer goes for a Burton periodically, repair or
reload usually clears that up.

you have a nice day
claus

Old November 13th 03, 07:05 AM
@drian

"santa" wrote in message

[...]

Awesome. See what can be accomplished when one tries? Sound advice by the
looks of it.

I've seen XP produce blue screens, etc. Usually with faulty or incompatible
hardware though. In an even more rare occurrence, I've seen it crash due to
badly written drivers. On the whole though, XP appears to me, to be more
stable than prior versions of Windows.

@drian.

Old November 13th 03, 09:55 AM
Lane Lewis

Major computer problems require a list of everything to diagnose.

And be clear and concise and what is lol

PSU
Motherboard
Ram modules
Cards
Drives
Software
Temps
Case
etc.

Lane

Peculiar RAM problems with an old Asus mobo setup?!? Darth Joules General 7 October 16th 03 07:48 PM
WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help? Phrederik General 0 August 29th 03 04:41 PM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM
KVM Video problems Mike General 1 July 23rd 03 07:39 PM
Vidio problems part deus nECrO General 1 June 29th 03 07:08 PM