Setup for gaming platform

Old May 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Ricky Romaya

Default Setup for gaming platform

A friend of mine asks to build a (ultimate?) gaming platform using Intel
Pentium 4 processor for under US$1000. What setup would you suggest? Which
mobo vendor should I use, and if possible, which model (and chipset)? The
same question goes for the display adapter.

Also, for display adapter, should I go for PCI Express or AGPx8 version?

TIA
Old May 6th 05, 03:24 AM
Richard Dower

Buy the best you can get. PCI Express, try them 6800 Ultra cards with 512MB
of RAM. You'll have change from $1,000.

. 159...

Old May 6th 05, 03:40 AM
kony

On 06 May 2005 01:56:12 GMT, Ricky Romaya
wrote:

A friend of mine asks to build a (ultimate?) gaming platform using Intel
Pentium 4 processor for under US$1000.

Not ultimate if you want a P4 and under $1000 total.

What setup would you suggest?

The same things everyone has been recommending the last
dozen times this type of thread has been asked? That is a
suggestion to reread the past similar questions, not just to
be rude but rather that after the first few times it's asked
the replies from all the threads combined will be a better
answer than only any one thread will generate.

Which
mobo vendor should I use, and if possible, which model (and chipset)? The
same question goes for the display adapter.

Also, for display adapter, should I go for PCI Express or AGPx8 version?

Asus, Intel, whichever Geforce 6800, and PCI Express.
Old May 6th 05, 08:38 AM
Skeptic

For a thousand,you won't get anything close to "ultimate". A high level cpu
and graphics card alone will cost around $800.00. And Athlon 64's will beat
any Pentium 4 for gaming,for less money.

Old May 6th 05, 01:00 PM
Bryon Lape

Ricky Romaya wrote:
A friend of mine asks to build a (ultimate?) gaming platform using Intel
Pentium 4 processor for under US$1000. What setup would you suggest? Which
mobo vendor should I use, and if possible, which model (and chipset)? The
same question goes for the display adapter.

Also, for display adapter, should I go for PCI Express or AGPx8 version?

TIA

To be an ultimate system one would have to more than double the price.
High end, matched SLI cards go for over $1,200 on ebay.
Old May 6th 05, 03:51 PM
Conor

In article , Ricky
Romaya says...
A friend of mine asks to build a (ultimate?) gaming platform using Intel
Pentium 4 processor for under US$1000. What setup would you suggest? Which
mobo vendor should I use, and if possible, which model (and chipset)? The
same question goes for the display adapter.

What would I suggest? Well $1000 won't build you an ultimate for a
start.

Firstly, ditch Intel and go for AMD socket 939. Not only is it cheaper
but AMD lead the benchmarks for gaming.
Secondly, don't go for the top end card but one below it - say a 6800GT
instead of Ultra.
Thirdly, IMO there's not much point going stupid with RAM. 1GB should
be adequate.
And lastly...
Get a 74GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM drive for the main OS and
applications. It'll make the system appear a whole lot faster. Put a
200GB SATA in for data storage.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Old May 6th 05, 05:55 PM
Skeptic

Actually,you can get a pair of 6800GT's for around $800 at places like
Monarch or CompUSA,I've rarely seen real bargains on Ebay,always someone who
pushes the bid over retail price.

Old May 6th 05, 06:19 PM

Conor wrote:
In article , Ricky
Romaya says...
[...]

If it's just games, then he probably won't want much space for data
storage. 74Gb will probably be a little small for all of his games
though. $1000 seems to go a long way, seems to go almost as far as
=A31000 :-o.

I can't see this comming to less than $1000 with the case, and a good
PSU etc., but I don't know about American prices.

It doesn't say what things are needed either. I'm guessing that he
doesn't need any peripherals within this price?

Old May 6th 05, 08:23 PM
Ricky Romaya

Well, I have suggested to use AMD, but he insists on P4. What I want to
know is what mobo chipset and vendor (Asus/Gigabyte/Any) to use. Also,
for display adapter, which vendor should I choose the 6800 card from?

BTW, the US$1000 is for the whole unit, including casing, PSU, etc. If it
isn't enough for the ultimate, at least guide me for best buy
configuration.

TIA

Ricky Romaya wrote in
. 159:

Old May 11th 05, 10:33 AM
BNR

Asus P4C800E Deluxe $182.00 Mobo (onboard sound and nic)
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 $128.00 Memory (2 512 sticks)
MSI Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP Pro 4X/8X GPU $368.00
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott Chip $193.99
ViewSonic VP191B Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor $422.99
SENNHEISER PC 135 USB PC Headset $55.00
Western Digital Raptor 73GB Drive $245.00 #
Western Digital Raptor 73GB Drive $245.00 #
SONY DVD-ROM Drive $25.00
Lian Li PC-75 ATX Case $185.50
VANTEC Stealth ATX12V 470W PSU $80.00
LITE-ON USB Keyboard $6.10 *
RAZER Diamondback Mouse $45.00

Total $2180 (newegg.com prices)

*Pry out Microsoft key, between ctrl and alt keys, with a teaspoon
#RAID 0 Performance Array

[...]

Setup - CPQCM.sys missing Neil Robinson Compaq Computers 0 September 2nd 04 08:47 AM
how to get into setup after battery dead? HH Compaq Computers 1 June 25th 04 08:53 PM
Presario 5184 - how to access CMOS setup? Alan Braun Compaq Computers 2 January 14th 04 05:14 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
XP setup doesn't recognize my hard drive (s) - please help me install XP? Great Weather Asus Motherboards 12 July 9th 03 03:37 AM