Questions about Norton Ghost and partitions.

Old September 15th 03, 03:17 AM
MacG

Default Questions about Norton Ghost and partitions.

Hi all,
I've got a 120G drive that I would like to partition in 60G portions.
One portion will be ntfs and the second, fat32.
How would I go abouts setting up the partitions with fdisk?
Setting up the 60G half as fat32 is straight forward, but I believe the
remainding space
is automatically issued as fat32 when I need ntfs.
Will these two drives be able to live happily side by side under xp?

Ok, is this true about Norton Ghost?

You can ghost an ntfs image onto an ntfs partition
but you cannot store an ntfs image on an ntfs partition?
Hence you can only store ntfs ghost images on fat32 drives/partitions.
That is terrible.

Oh well, overall, I would like to be able to do the following:

C: (60G ntfs - first half of 120G physical drive) Operating system
D: (60G fat32 - other half of 120G physical drive) ghost images of the C:\
E: (120G fat32 2nd physical drive) ghost image of the first physical drive
C:/D: reside on

Tia!

Old September 15th 03, 03:22 AM
Robotnik

I don't think the "remaining space" is automatically issued as anything
until you format it.

Actually the first partition isn't either.

able.rogers.com...

Old September 15th 03, 03:53 AM
MacG

Robotnik,
I think i understand what you are saying but cannot put it into words.
Basically, the partitions mean nothing until formatted....I think u summed
it well enough. (-8

news

Old September 15th 03, 03:58 AM
Robotnik

Glad you understood what I thought I was saying. But did it help you at
all?
"MacG" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Robotnik,
I think i understand what you are saying but cannot put it into words.
Basically, the partitions mean nothing until formatted....I think u summed
it well enough. (-8

news

Old September 15th 03, 04:15 AM
MacG

I think so, I'll do the following:

- fdisk and format fat32 partition
- use xp install cd and let it create and format the ntfs portion

"MacG" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Robotnik,
I think i understand what you are saying but cannot put it into words.
Basically, the partitions mean nothing until formatted....I think u

summed
it well enough. (-8

news

Old September 15th 03, 04:31 AM
Robotnik

sounds good to me
able.rogers.com...

"MacG" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Robotnik,
I think i understand what you are saying but cannot put it into words.
Basically, the partitions mean nothing until formatted....I think u

summed
it well enough. (-8

news I don't think the "remaining space" is automatically issued as

Old September 15th 03, 04:44 AM
~misfit~

"Robotnik" wrote in message
sounds good to me

Doesn't to me. You could have problems creating a 60GB partition with fdisk,
I believe that it is limited to 32GB.

Why not just do it all with the XP install CD? It gives you plenty of
options of how you want to partition and what file system to use. (Maybe XP
is limited to 32GB FAT32 parts.? I'm not sure)

Just create a 60GB part. with XP, format to NTFS and install. Leave the rest
unallocated for now. If you try putting the FAT32 partition first I think
you may have problems booting from the second patition without a
boot-manager.
--
~misfit~

able.rogers.com...

"MacG" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old September 15th 03, 04:54 AM
Robotnik

ok so I was wrong........ in XP the program is called DISKPART I
beleive.....or you could use third party software.

"~misfit~" wrote in message

"Robotnik" wrote in message
sounds good to me

Doesn't to me. You could have problems creating a 60GB partition with

fdisk,
I believe that it is limited to 32GB.

Why not just do it all with the XP install CD? It gives you plenty of
options of how you want to partition and what file system to use. (Maybe

XP
is limited to 32GB FAT32 parts.? I'm not sure)

Just create a 60GB part. with XP, format to NTFS and install. Leave the

rest
unallocated for now. If you try putting the FAT32 partition first I think
you may have problems booting from the second patition without a
boot-manager.
--
~misfit~

able.rogers.com...

Old September 15th 03, 05:24 AM
John E. Carty

"~misfit~" wrote in message

"Robotnik" wrote in message
sounds good to me

Doesn't to me. You could have problems creating a 60GB partition with

fdisk,
I believe that it is limited to 32GB.

FAT32 has a limit of 8 terabytes:

XP limits creating/formatting FAT32 partitions to 32GB's, though it will
utilize larger FAT32 partitions made with FDISK. Older versions of FDISK had
issues with drives over 64GB (though it could still properly create
partitions if percentages were entered instead of MB's for sizing) but the
latest version that came with ME will properly recognize larger drives with
no issues :-)

Why not just do it all with the XP install CD? It gives you plenty of
options of how you want to partition and what file system to use. (Maybe

XP
is limited to 32GB FAT32 parts.? I'm not sure)

Just create a 60GB part. with XP, format to NTFS and install. Leave the

rest
unallocated for now. If you try putting the FAT32 partition first I think
you may have problems booting from the second patition without a
boot-manager.
--
~misfit~

able.rogers.com...

Old September 15th 03, 04:28 PM
MacG

To all those that replied,
thanks for the great info, seriously, you guys are great!

MacG