AGP vs. PCI GeForceFX 5200 (in a 440BX mobo) ?

Old December 25th 03, 08:00 AM
RegularJoe

Default AGP vs. PCI GeForceFX 5200 (in a 440BX mobo) ?

My sister got me the CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR
question in the PCI version (from Newegg.com) for Christmas.

Would it be worth the shipping and restocking fees to exchange this card for
the same card but in an AGP?

My PC:
i440BX chipset, 1X/2X AGP, PIII 800 Coppermine, 384MB RAM, Win98SE, 17" CRT
monitor.
(My current video card is a GeForce 2 MX 400 AGP.)

I play games like Half-Life, Jedi Knight, Iceland Dale, Morrowind, Tiger
Woods PGA, etc. I also do some video editing, not much.

Thanks for all input, advice and opinions!
Joe

Old December 25th 03, 09:22 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:00:24 GMT, "RegularJoe"
wrote:

My sister got me the CHAINTECH GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR
question in the PCI version (from Newegg.com) for Christmas.

Would it be worth the shipping and restocking fees to exchange this card for
the same card but in an AGP?

My PC:
i440BX chipset, 1X/2X AGP, PIII 800 Coppermine, 384MB RAM, Win98SE, 17" CRT
monitor.
(My current video card is a GeForce 2 MX 400 AGP.)

I play games like Half-Life, Jedi Knight, Iceland Dale, Morrowind, Tiger
Woods PGA, etc. I also do some video editing, not much.

Uh... no keep it. Its 5200PCI does AMAZING well... for a PCI card.
It is a minor upgrade thou... because of the PCI slot. The AGP
version gets it upto GF3 performance.

But your BX Chipset (A very FINE chipset) is dated - so its a major
bottleneck for future gaming cards (AGP)...

It'll play those games a little bit better...

UT2003... no

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 27th 03, 10:39 PM
lyon_wonder

If I were you, I'd exchange it for an AGP version or return it and
look for a second-hand GF3 or GF4 Ti 4200 off ebay or somewhere off
pricewatch where they are still selling those.