Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (MacOS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?

Old October 23rd 12, 04:31 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

Default Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (MacOS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?

Hello.

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.
Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for
the newer ones like 10.8.2.

Thank you in advance.
--
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
the ant." --Indian
Old October 23rd 12, 06:26 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Andreas Rutishauser

Salut Ant

In article ,
Ant wrote:

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.
Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for
the newer ones like 10.8.2.

I think I did that once with a LaserJet 6 MP (which is the Mac editionof
the 6P) and a d-link DPR-1061. Idea was then offer the printer to
several computers in the network.
HP PPDs (or "printer drivers") are either already built into newer
MacOSs or will be installed (downloaded) from Apple when needed.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, http://www.MacAndreas.ch
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Old October 23rd 12, 06:50 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Your Name

In article , Ant
wrote:

Hello.

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.
Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for
the newer ones like 10.8.2.

Thank you in advance.

I looked into this same situation for a client a few years ago (for a
LaserJet 5P from memory). You can get an ethernet add-on (or at least used
to be able to) from HP that plus inside the printer, but it's damn
expensive. You could also probably find a third-party Parallel-USB or
Parallel-Ethernet adaptor, but again it's not likely to be cheap. Either
way, as you mention, you may also have issues with not having a proper
printer driver. As Lewis says, it's simply cheaper and easier to just buy
a new printer.
Old October 23rd 12, 07:11 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 10/22/2012 10:26 PM PT, Andreas Rutishauser typed:

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.
Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for
the newer ones like 10.8.2.

I think I did that once with a LaserJet 6 MP (which is the Mac editionof
the 6P) and a d-link DPR-1061. Idea was then offer the printer to
several computers in the network.
HP PPDs (or "printer drivers") are either already built into newer
MacOSs or will be installed (downloaded) from Apple when needed.

This one doesn't have network features. It does have InfraRed.
--
"The shadows now so long do grow,... That brambles like tall cedars
show,... Molehills seem mountains, and the ant... Appears a monstrous
Old October 23rd 12, 07:14 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Paul Sture[_2_]

In article
,
(Your Name) wrote:

In article , Ant
wrote:

[...]

The HP printer network cards are shockingly expensive.

A parallel port to ethernet adaptor, known as a "Print Server" is much
cheaper.

Here's one example:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...w&prod=220_TE1
00-P1P

--
Paul Sture
Old October 23rd 12, 08:17 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
David Empson

Ant wrote:

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.

The only way I'd recommend bothering with this would be if you can lay
your hands on an HP JetDirect EX Plus, HP JetDirect EX Plus 3 or HP
JetDirect 300X for next to no money. They are external Ethernet print
servers with a parallel connection to the printer. (The EX Plus 3 has
three parallel ports.) There may be other brands which operate similarly
to these and are Mac compatible, but I haven't gone looking for them.

I have a HP JetDirect EX Plus attached to my HP LaserJet 6MP, and the
printer has continued to work through every version of Mac OS X up to
and including 10.8.2. After I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 I had to stop
using AppleTalk and switched to the "JetDirect Socket" protocol.

USB to parallel adapters are generally problematic, due to lack of Mac
drivers or compatibility issues.

The other option for Mac OS X 10.5.8 (but not later verisons) is an
Ethernet to LocalTalk adapter (made by Farallon?), which would plug into
the serial port on the LaserJet 6MP. These only support the AppleTalk
printing protocol, and AppleTalk was dropped by Mac OS X 10.6. They are
also much slower than connecting to the parallel port.

If you can't find a cheap external HP JetDirect, your client would be
better to buy a more modern laser printer which doesn't require a
conversion to interface to a modern Mac. I know a growing number of
people using Brother laser printers, and I have a mid-range Brother
model with built-in networking and duplexing (HL-5380DN).

The Brother is substantially faster than my old 6MP, plus its duplexing
unit saves paper and time for certain print jobs.

My LaserJet 6MP has been demoted to a backup printer which I keep in my
office at work (so I don't need to use work's printer for personal
stuff).

Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for
the newer ones like 10.8.2.

You are looking in the wrong place. Printer manufacturers supply the
printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.8 and earlier, but starting with Mac
OS X 10.6, drivers for most printers and scanners are distributed
through Apple, typically installed on demand via Software Update.

Apple has a page listing all the printer and scanner models supported by
the drivers they supply in Mac OS X 10.6 and later:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

The HP LaserJet 6MP is supported via the Apple-supplied drivers.

--
David Empson

Old October 23rd 12, 02:22 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Mark Storkamp

In article ,
Lewis wrote:

In message
Ant wrote:
Hello.

My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old
parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet
printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser.
I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect.

It would be cheaper to buy a decent laser printer, and you'd get a
scanner and duplex and faxing spit in the bargin. Oh, and it would be
faster.

I recommend Brother. I think my MFC was under $200.

You can get a parallel to ethernet printer server on Amazon for about
37USD. I've used USB versions in the past with good results.
Old October 23rd 12, 02:24 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 10/22/2012 11:14 PM PT, Paul Sture typed:

I looked into this same situation for a client a few years ago (for a
LaserJet 5P from memory). You can get an ethernet add-on (or at least used
to be able to) from HP that plus inside the printer, but it's damn
expensive. You could also probably find a third-party Parallel-USB or
Parallel-Ethernet adaptor, but again it's not likely to be cheap. Either
way, as you mention, you may also have issues with not having a proper
printer driver. As Lewis says, it's simply cheaper and easier to just buy
a new printer.

The HP printer network cards are shockingly expensive.

Like how much? I can tell my client to make him buy a new USB laser
printer. Heh heh!

A parallel port to ethernet adaptor, known as a "Print Server" is much
cheaper.

Here's one example:

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?status=view&prod=220_TE100-P1P

Interesting. Is there a wireless version since the router/switch is far
away from the old printer? What about Infrared?
--
"Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish
| |o o| |
Old October 23rd 12, 02:38 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 10/23/2012 12:17 AM PT, David Empson typed:

The only way I'd recommend bothering with this would be if you can lay
your hands on an HP JetDirect EX Plus, HP JetDirect EX Plus 3 or HP
JetDirect 300X for next to no money. They are external Ethernet print
servers with a parallel connection to the printer. (The EX Plus 3 has
three parallel ports.) There may be other brands which operate similarly
to these and are Mac compatible, but I haven't gone looking for them.

One parallel port is enough. Who knows how long this printer will last.
Yes, they are like tanks but this is one is over a decade old or so.

I have a HP JetDirect EX Plus attached to my HP LaserJet 6MP, and the
printer has continued to work through every version of Mac OS X up to
and including 10.8.2. After I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 I had to stop
using AppleTalk and switched to the "JetDirect Socket" protocol.

USB to parallel adapters are generally problematic, due to lack of Mac
drivers or compatibility issues.

The other option for Mac OS X 10.5.8 (but not later verisons) is an
Ethernet to LocalTalk adapter (made by Farallon?), which would plug into
the serial port on the LaserJet 6MP. These only support the AppleTalk
printing protocol, and AppleTalk was dropped by Mac OS X 10.6. They are
also much slower than connecting to the parallel port.

Yeah, but that requires leaving a computer on which we don't want to do.
Hence, the direct cable connections.

[...]

Ah.

Apple has a page listing all the printer and scanner models supported by
the drivers they supply in Mac OS X 10.6 and later:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

The HP LaserJet 6MP is supported via the Apple-supplied drivers.

Ah cool, it says "HP LaserJet 6P/6MP" which is perfect. Now, the hard
part is to connect to it. Darn, he would have to get a power AC (running
out of outlets even though multiple strips!) big addon to connect
instead of a basic adapter for USB and parallel cables.
--
"What is it going to be like in eternity with God? Frankly, the capacity
of our brains cannot handle the wonder and greatness of heaven. It would
Old October 23rd 12, 02:40 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]

On 10/23/2012 6:22 AM PT, Mark Storkamp typed:

You can get a parallel to ethernet printer server on Amazon for about
37USD. I've used USB versions in the past with good results.

Which ones did you used? Do they all require power AC outlets since my
client is running low on power outlets even with multiple power strips.
Heh. Or is running off a powered USB ports enough?
--
"... Ooh, we haven't done that in a long time. I love picnics. I'll
bring my ant jar." --The Berenstain Bears (unknown episode)