Overclockers - beware of voltages in excess of Intel recommended max on Penryn (45nm) processors !!

Old April 28th 08, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

Default Overclockers - beware of voltages in excess of Intel recommended max on Penryn (45nm) processors !!

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:34:37 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
wrote:

John Lewis wrote:

The misfortune happened at Anandtech in extreme stress testing..
Probably the most respected PC hardware review site in the world for
its technical authority.

You are bonkers if that is what you think. More so if you are in any way
affiliated with that site or its advertisers.

Not at all. However, I do happen to be a hardware engineer
specializing in computer-based professional technical instrumentation,
so maybe I do have some ability to discern technical competence in
this field

Anandtech is perfectly average in every way.

Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?

Perfectly average? Just like you ??

Your moniker betrays your pomposity. Try applying to
Anandtech as a reviewer some day. Or to Ars Technica as
a journalist.

John Lewis
Old April 28th 08, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?

Perfectly average? Just like you ??

Your moniker betrays your pomposity. Try applying to
Anandtech as a reviewer some day. Or to Ars Technica as
a journalist.

John Lewis

I'm sure Mr.E.Solved won't sleep tonight now. It just breaks out hearts
when some non-entity like you blows through the n/g cross-posting and
talking out of his ass. Perhaps you can post some irrelevant gem again in,
say, 2011 or 2012.

Old April 28th 08, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Lewis wrote:

Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?

Considering I have followed Anand Lal Shimpi's blog from NCS University
10 years ago, and watched the site turn from his musings and
observations to a trade-show, corporate friendly ad-farm with few if any
dissenting opinions, I am comfortable in my conclusions.

snipping your desperate shot-gun style attempts to smear me

Funny how you mention Ars Technica, where many of the contributors are
Academians, fellows, and post-docs...a breadth and depth of work far
more insightful and relevant to tech and tech issues than Anand ever
was. By mentioning Ars as the superior site, you are the one who
demonstrates Anand's inferiority.

Notice how I took out the crosspostings? Maybe it will shake you off
like a shark does a remora, but I doubt it.

BTW, Augustus runs circles around you too. Don't insult him.
Old April 28th 08, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:29:34 -0400, "Mr.E Solved!"
wrote:

Considering I have followed Anand Lal Shimpi's blog from NCS University
10 years ago, and watched the site turn from his musings and
observations to a trade-show, corporate friendly ad-farm with few if any
dissenting opinions, I am comfortable in my conclusions.

I agree.

It's difficult for a hardware enthusiast site to be popular *and*
un-biased. IMO, the best out there now is http://techreport.com/
Old April 28th 08, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

wrote:

Considering I have followed Anand Lal Shimpi's blog from NCS University
10 years ago, and watched the site turn from his musings and
observations to a trade-show, corporate friendly ad-farm with few if any
dissenting opinions, I am comfortable in my conclusions.

I agree.

It's difficult for a hardware enthusiast site to be popular *and*
un-biased. IMO, the best out there now is http://techreport.com/

I'll even go so far as to point people towards [H]OCP, even though they
are surprisingly technically shallow in authorship and editorial staff,
and refuse to benchmark games in Windows XP, Vista only.

But they have some appeal and the beer and peanuts crowd has to go
somewhere, and they do good community work, so they get a free plug from me.

Here's one you may not know about: SilentPC Review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

It's more than niche, but what you might expect. The high points are
their site mission and methodologies, and author Mike Chin's
extraordinary technical insights with power supplies.

Another free plug!
Old April 29th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Lewis" typed:
wrote:

John Lewis wrote:

The misfortune happened at Anandtech in extreme stress testing..
Probably the most respected PC hardware review site in the world for
its technical authority.

You are bonkers if that is what you think. More so if you are in any
way affiliated with that site or its advertisers.

Not at all. However, I do happen to be a hardware engineer
specializing in computer-based professional technical instrumentation,
so maybe I do have some ability to discern technical competence in
this field

Or not. IMEE when people start claiming quals without backing the claims up
it's usually a defence mechanism and chances are that it's bull****.

Anyone with half a brain (or more) would have just posted this to
alt.comp.harware.overclocking. After all, if there was one group where this
post would have been right on topic and open to knowledgable discussion
that's the one.

By their actions you will know them.
--
Shaun.

Old April 29th 08, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
noname

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:14:31 GMT, (John Lewis)

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??
Old April 29th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

The OP

Old April 29th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:05:11 GMT, "alanrco"
wrote:

hmm...

I brought my complete PC recently Overclocked proccessor (quad 2.4 OC to
3.2) and OC Vid as advertised. Wonder how mine will fare over the 12 months
that is a legal requirement for warranty on goods sold in the UK. As a unit
I've been informed, this would take precedent over individual item warranty
requirements laid down by say, Intel or Nvidia. Also the selling company of
the PC has the liability over individual parts manufacture.

Interesting

If you managed to overclock without raising any voltages higher than
Intel's/nVidia's/ memory-supplier recommended maximum, the core temp
of the CPU does not exceed a conservative 60 degrees C and the GPU
core does not exceed a conservative 80 degrees C while running the
stress benchmarks, you should be in great shape.

John Lewis

Alan

Old April 29th 08, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

wrote:

I give up what is a "longer-term early-failure"??

.... in the context of the time to failure in the Anandtech article....

next question?