PCI radeon 7000 video card. Am i going to have a macrovision problem

Old September 1st 03, 10:09 AM
leroy

Default PCI radeon 7000 video card. Am i going to have a macrovision problem

I recently ordered a Radeon 7000 pci card, with hopes of video
capturing dvd's new dvd's. I do not have a dvd drive so i'm going to
do this by running my dvd player into my radeon 7000 through with an s
video connection, capturing the video and saving it on my hard drive.
Can anyone tell me possible probelms that may arise and how to fix
these problems. thank you
Old September 1st 03, 12:18 PM
Laurence Wilmer

"leroy" wrote in message
om...
I recently ordered a Radeon 7000 pci card, with hopes of video
capturing dvd's new dvd's. I do not have a dvd drive so i'm going to
do this by running my dvd player into my radeon 7000 through with an s
video connection, capturing the video and saving it on my hard drive.
Can anyone tell me possible probelms that may arise and how to fix
these problems. thank you

Problem: macrovision

Fix:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar..._graphics.html

these tips may or may NOT work!

HTH,
Laurence

Old September 1st 03, 12:37 PM
Juan Lauda

"leroy" wrote in message
om...
I recently ordered a Radeon 7000 pci card, with hopes of video
capturing dvd's new dvd's. I do not have a dvd drive so i'm going to
do this by running my dvd player into my radeon 7000 through with an s
video connection, capturing the video and saving it on my hard drive.
Can anyone tell me possible probelms that may arise and how to fix
these problems. thank you

Check first that the Radeon card that you have ordered actually supports
video-in. Most Radeons have an S-video port for TV-out, but only the
All-In-Wonder type cards support video-in.

Old September 2nd 03, 10:53 AM
Gyoh

All ATI's have macrovision enabled (software driver restriction?).

This means you can't capture macrovision encoded VHS tapes or dvd
movies without seeing the pulsating colors and lines with the AIW
cards

Also, this means you can't output your dvds from your computer to a
VHS player without seeing macrovision artifacts when using the TV-Out.

Yes it sucks. Some have found free solutions (don't feel like
purchasing extra coaxial switches or video filters). I have not and I
just want to be able to output computer dvd video to my VCR since my
TV has no Video in (just coaxial). Macrovision is a pain in the ass
for lawbidding consumers and doesn't prevent copying by those who want
to copy.

Old September 4th 03, 01:15 AM
leroy

"Juan Lauda" wrote in message ...
"leroy" wrote in message
om...
I recently ordered a Radeon 7000 pci card, with hopes of video
capturing dvd's new dvd's. I do not have a dvd drive so i'm going to
do this by running my dvd player into my radeon 7000 through with an s
video connection, capturing the video and saving it on my hard drive.
Can anyone tell me possible probelms that may arise and how to fix
these problems. thank you

Check first that the Radeon card that you have ordered actually supports
video-in. Most Radeons have an S-video port for TV-out, but only the
All-In-Wonder type cards support video-in.

Thanks for the information. I called and doubled checked and you were
right, the card does not have s-video input. What do you think would
be the best course of action to take for copying dvd's. Getting a dvd
rom and ripping them or getting another video capture card and do it
that way?