ATA to SATA converter

Old November 14th 05, 10:37 PM
BigVoice

Default ATA to SATA converter

I got a problem with my ATA to SATA Converter and hope some one can
shed some light to the problem.

I fitted an ATA to SATA converter to my LG GSA-4165B DVD writer and
connected to the SATA port. At booting my GA8IP775 recognized my
DVD-writer and I also can use it to boot up a CD, e.g. Windows XP
installation CD.

In entering the Window XP the OS could find the new hardware and it
also showed up in "System" at the Control panel. The problem came
when I put a CD or DVD in the tray the OS just hung up. The OS also
hanged up when I tried to look at the property of the DVD-writer at
the "System". I have no idea as to why it happened and I think the
problem lies with the OS and not the hardware itself. I hope someone
can advise. I use the converter because my 2 ATA ports are used up
and I need the SATA port to connect the DVD-writer.

BigVoice
Old November 15th 05, 06:07 AM
Udo Kammer

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:37:15 GMT, BigVoice
wrote:

the "System". I have no idea as to why it happened and I think the
problem lies with the OS and not the hardware itself. I hope someone
can advise. I use the converter because my 2 ATA ports are used up
and I need the SATA port to connect the DVD-writer.

A German computer magazine c't has tested these converters last year.
The result was, that it was no problem to connect PATA-HD-drives to a
SATA-controller, using a converter. It was nearly impossible to do the
same with DVD-writers. Only one writer worked, but only with a max.
speed of 2x instead of 16x.

I am using a Plextor PX-712SA with SATA-interface.

Udo
Old November 15th 05, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

A German computer magazine c't has tested these converters last year.
The result was, that it was no problem to connect PATA-HD-drives to a
SATA-controller, using a converter. It was nearly impossible to do the
same with DVD-writers. Only one writer worked, but only with a max.
speed of 2x instead of 16x.

I am using a Plextor PX-712SA with SATA-interface.

Udo

Thanks for the information.
I use the PATA to SATA adaptor to connect my PATA hard disk and
everything works OK. It seems that the adaptor does not work properly
with DVD writers. May be you are right.

BigVoice

Old November 16th 05, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what you have connected to your PATA controllesr but I
assume there are some Hard Disks there. Why not use the SATA2PATA
adapter on one of these HD's and connect the DVD-writer to the PATA
controller?

Seems a reasonable option.

Old November 18th 05, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

wrote:

[...]

Yes I have done that and it is now woking fine. Thanks for all the
advice.

BigVoice
Old November 22nd 05, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Dnia 2005-11-14 23:37, Użytkownik BigVoice napisał/a:
I got a problem with my ATA to SATA Converter and hope some one can
shed some light to the problem.

What kind of converter do you use ? Converters from Abit (Serrilel or
something like this) can be used to connect HDD to any SATA controller,
but if used with optical drivers then work only with Sillicon Image SATA
controllers.
I use SATA2PATA converter made by Gigabyte (provided with some kind of
P4 motherboards) with SATA controller integrated with nForce 3 (Gigabyte
GA-K8NS-939) both with HDD and optical drive (DVD-ROM and DVD-RW) and
everything works fine, I hadn't any symptoms that you described.

--
Roman SÄ…siada
katoda(znaczek)poczta.onet.pl
Old November 22nd 05, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:06:26 +0100, Roman S?siada
wrote:

Dnia 2005-11-14 23:37, U?ytkownik BigVoice napisa?/a:
I got a problem with my ATA to SATA Converter and hope some one can
shed some light to the problem.

What kind of converter do you use ? Converters from Abit (Serrilel or
something like this) can be used to connect HDD to any SATA controller,
but if used with optical drivers then work only with Sillicon Image SATA
controllers.
I use SATA2PATA converter made by Gigabyte (provided with some kind of
P4 motherboards) with SATA controller integrated with nForce 3 (Gigabyte
GA-K8NS-939) both with HDD and optical drive (DVD-ROM and DVD-RW) and
everything works fine, I hadn't any symptoms that you described.

The SATA2PATA Converter is using Silicon Image Chip.

BigVoice
Old November 23rd 05, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Dnia 2005-11-22 22:30, Użytkownik BigVoice napisał/a:

The SATA2PATA Converter is using Silicon Image Chip.

It looks lite this converter
http://photos.allegro.pl/photos/oryg...30491/73049183

or like this coonverter http://www.excaliberpc.com/images/554134_h/huge.jpg

??

First one is Gigabyte, second is Abit - when used with optical drives
works only with Sillicon Image SATA controllers.