Performance Acceleration Technology (P.A.T)

Old February 1st 04, 06:22 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default Performance Acceleration Technology (P.A.T)

Hi,
just trying to get some *confirmation* about this tech. I understand that
it is meant to be a bonus feature of the Canterwood chipset that somehow
makes the memory work faster. What I wont to know now is whether this
feature only works when you run your FSB and memory bus *synchronously* as
in 1:1.

I seem to be reading stuff that says it is not available when you run say in
5:4 ratio?

If this is the case then its a great *leveller* between Springdale and
Canterwood chipsets, where someone wants to run 5:4 ratios. . .Is this true,
or am I misinformed?

I am reading about G.A.T now, an ABIT feature similar to PAT for Springdale
chipsets. .

V I P E R L A I R .com Game Accelerator Technology
http://tinyurl.com/3eex5

Looks cool, and seems to be getting great results in web reviews (lol
Streetracer, F1, sound funny)
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 06:45 PM
Ken Fox

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe not a complete answer to your question, however it is my impression
that PAT will not work if overclocking is enabled. Whether this is due to
the asynchonous ratios people usually get between CPU and RAM when they
overclock, I don't know. There have been some posts about being able to
enable PAT with overclocking on an Asus board, but then only by jumping
through a bunch of hoops that includes several bios flashings. Even with
jumping through these hoops, it is my understanding that you can only get
10, maybe 15% overclocks with PAT enabled. I don't know if going through
these machinations makes the system unstable or produces memory errors. I
haven't done it; BIOS flashings in my experience have brought much pain.

My sense from my own benchmarking is that PAT gave my system (P4 2.6c, 1gig
of PC3200 DDR RAM as 2 x 512MB sticks) no more than 5 or 7 % increase in
"results." I got better results from the mild 10% OC'ing I'm doing on both
the CPU and the RAM (FSB=220/880, CPU:RAM ratio of 1:1).

Good luck.

ken

Old February 1st 04, 07:05 PM
Skid

It's not a simple topic. I can tell you that PAT is enabled on my IC7 at
either 1:1 or 5:4. I can still tweak memory settings and overclock to the
limits of my ram with PAT enabled.

When I went from two to four sticks of ram, PAT was disabled at 5:4 but
worked at 1:1 or when the NB strap was set from 800 to 667 -- which limited
fsb overclocking and lowered performance. The Abit released a new bios
update that got all the performance back -- even improved it at 5:4 --
though PAT still reads disabled. The 5850+ Sandra memory scores I'm getting
at 5:4 now are right up there with the PC4000 1:1 scores I see with PAT
enabled. That leads me to believe it's actually working, but just not
registering in the apps that normally pick up on it -- like CPU-Z or Sandra.

And if you think that's confusing, try to figure out what GAT does, or how
to get it working at anything other than the default AUTO settings.
According to an FAQ at Mushkin, setting GAT at anything other than AUTO
overrides both the SPD and manual timings and runs the memory at 1:1 at
settings that equate to 2,2,2,5 in F1 -- faster than most memory will run
comfortably. I've never had any luck at all with it, any setting I select
either makes the system less stable or shows no measureable improvement.

The hassles with getting GAT configured are one of the main reasons I
plunked down an extra $20 for a Canterwood board. After reading some of the
laments from those trying to emulate the results from the review sites on
Springdale boards using GAT, I'm glad I did.

In general, the Canterwoods clock higher and don't have to resort to tricks
to get good memory performance. Why settle for a simulation when the real
deal doesn't cost much more?

Old February 1st 04, 07:47 PM
TomG

PAT is enabled on my IC7-G according to CPU-Z. I run at 5:4 with the memory
at 2, 5, 2, 2 in manual settings. I have not had any luck with GAT. I just
leave it set at Auto on both an IC7-G and an IS7-G.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old February 1st 04, 09:28 PM
ElJerid

"Skid" wrote in message
[...]

I've an Asus P4P800 with Hyperpath (the name Asus gives to PAT, see in the
article hereafter why yhey did) enabled. The fsb is overclocked at 240 MHz.
DDR are Corsair Twin 1 GB (2x512 MB) PC3700 at 1:1 and cas settings of
3-4-4-8. Sandra benchmark gives 5457 - 5334. Compared to the normal values
of 5007 - 5005 with the 875P chipset, I found my values high enough and
stopped further overclocking.
If you want detailed information about the PAT story, there is an excellent
article on the link below. There is also an extensive memory benchmark with
the P4P800 and some personal considerations of the testers. A must read !

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...us-p4p800.html

Old February 1st 04, 10:14 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Skid" wrote
It's not a simple topic. I can tell you that PAT is enabled on my IC7 at
either 1:1 or 5:4. I can still tweak memory settings and overclock to the
limits of my ram with PAT enabled.

"TomG" wrote
PAT is enabled on my IC7-G according to CPU-Z. I run at 5:4 with the

memory
at 2, 5, 2, 2 in manual settings. I have not had any luck with GAT. I

just
leave it set at Auto on both an IC7-G and an IS7-G.

"ElJerid" wrote
I've an Asus P4P800 with Hyperpath (the name Asus gives to PAT, see in the
article hereafter why yhey did) enabled. The fsb is overclocked at 240

MHz.
DDR are Corsair Twin 1 GB (2x512 MB) PC3700 at 1:1 and cas settings of
3-4-4-8. Sandra benchmark gives 5457 - 5334. Compared to the normal values
of 5007 - 5005 with the 875P chipset, I found my values high enough and
stopped further overclocking
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mai...us-p4p800.html

Ok,
thanks guys! I will continue reading up. But what you said is pretty much
what I have been reading, that is the Canterwood is the daddy, while the
Springdale is a *kludge*?.

I have a hunch that the newest Spingdales (AI7 etc) have been re-worked in
some way because one or two reviews I read have been by former Canterwood
owners who after reviewing the AI7 have decided to keep it instead of their
original Canterwoods?.

As far as ABIT and Canterwood boards go, there is only the IC7. I have read
several reviews on this board and am still undecided between it and the AI7.
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 10:56 PM
TomG

the only thing I am not sure about with the AI7, is that it has uGuru on it
and it does not appear to have a way to be disabled. this in turn forces
you to use only uGuru for temperature monitoring and such as it has a lock
on the sensor ports.

Old February 1st 04, 11:14 PM
Dashi

[...]

I also have the IC7 and have the GAT at all "auto", no problems.

Wayne why don't you get the AI7 and let us know how you like it?

Dashi

Old February 1st 04, 11:36 PM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
the only thing I am not sure about with the AI7, is that it has uGuru on

it
and it does not appear to have a way to be disabled. this in turn forces
you to use only uGuru for temperature monitoring and such as it has a lock
on the sensor ports.

Hi TomG,
I read the same thing. . .

snip

AI7 BIOS 14 - Released Date: 2003-11-18
3) Disable Winbond W83627HF sensor unit to prevent incorrect CPU voltage
information shown in some third party software.
http://tinyurl.com/3yhon

snip

I am a big fan of Motherboard-Monitor, used it for years (you can *tweak* it
great) love the periodic HTML-based log. But I figure that ABIT have put
some effort into the *hardware-monitoring* uGuru chip, so I am naturally
curious what this new chip can do. I like the concept of having the
motherboard turning up the rpm's of fans according to temps (I think ASUS
has had this feature for a while, Q-Fan?). It seems all the new ABIT boards
will carry this feature?

It's funny I remember when you bought your IC7-G and the P4 2.4Ghz, that's
why I asked if you upgraded! Now IIRC that would have been about 6-7 months
ago? I remember reading up on the board at the time, looked v nice but in
the U.K it was about £150.00 and the CPU's were about £200. Am I right in
thinking that the Springdale & Canterwoods are only about 6-7 months old?
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 2nd 04, 02:05 AM
Wayne Youngman

Woger MKII wrote
PAT gets disabled if the FSB clock is over 210mhz, and that is a Intel
Standard..

You need CPUID to check for this..

Hi,
are you sure about that?
I never heard anything like that, what I heard was PAT is disabled in
anything other than 1:1 ratio. Lol the Plot thickens :P
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!