GA-8IEXP with 333MHz memory clock?

Old February 3rd 11, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May

Default GA-8IEXP with 333MHz memory clock?

I have a 2002-vintage Gigabyte GA-8IEXP version 1.2 motherboard, now
using a 2.4GHz Pentium CPU, 266MHz FSB, BIOS version F8, 1.5GB of
PC2700 (333MHz) ECC memory on four DIMMS. The BIOS Setup allows Host
to Memory Clock ratios of only 1.5 and 2.0, so the maximum memory
speed is only 266MHz without overclocking the CPU. I would like to use
333MHz memory clock, which would require a 2.5 ratio.

Are there any suggestions about how do do this? Would it exceed the
capability of the 845E chipset, which is rated at 266MHz? Is it
possible with the F9 BIOS?

Old February 3rd 11, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Russell May wrote:
I have a 2002-vintage Gigabyte GA-8IEXP version 1.2 motherboard, now
using a 2.4GHz Pentium CPU, 266MHz FSB, BIOS version F8, 1.5GB of
PC2700 (333MHz) ECC memory on four DIMMS. The BIOS Setup allows Host
to Memory Clock ratios of only 1.5 and 2.0, so the maximum memory
speed is only 266MHz without overclocking the CPU. I would like to use
333MHz memory clock, which would require a 2.5 ratio.

Are there any suggestions about how do do this? Would it exceed the
capability of the 845E chipset, which is rated at 266MHz? Is it
possible with the F9 BIOS?

According to this, there are only two choices (page 23 "Host/DRAM
Clock Ratio").

http://oldweb.gigabyte.com.tw/suppor...1202_other.pdf

FSB533 probably gives you DDR266 and DDR200 as options.
On FSB400, DDR200 would be the only practical option, as
the even lower setting isn't necessary.

Those ratios are probably coming from the Northbridge memory
controller design. And page 17 here, confirms the two choices.

http://download.intel.com/design/chi...s/29074201.pdf

If you had three double-sided sticks of RAM installed in the
system, I wouldn't wish for an extra high memory clock. It
might not be very stable as a result. If you were running
one stick of RAM, then you could overclock the CPU a bit and see
where it goes.

Paul
Old February 3rd 11, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Russell May

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 01:59:32 -0500, Paul wrote:

Russell May wrote:
[...]

The Host CPU Frequency and Host/Dram ratio is now set for 133MHz and
2.0 to give FSB266. Back when the 2.4GHz CPU and mobo were new and I
had 512MB of PC2700 ECC RAM, the combination was unstable when
overclocked above 150MHz. I don't know whether that limitation was
caused by the CPU or by the chipset.

I used the Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager (GWUM 1999) program to
flash the F9 BIOS in preparation for a used 3.06GHz CPU with
hyperthreading. It has the same 1.5 and 2.0 ratios, so I will probably
stick with FSB266.

Russ