New GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 Runs Hot, GSATA Won't RAID0, is Fry's Open Box the Trouble??

Old July 17th 09, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte
Bill Jenkins

Default New GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 Runs Hot, GSATA Won't RAID0, is Fry's Open Box the Trouble??

New GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 runs hot, GSATA won't work, is Fry's open box
the Trouble??

Tuesday, three days ago, I was excited when I went to pick up my
on-line ordered GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 from my local Fry's.

I was a little disappointed when I saw it was a returned "open box"
and not factory fresh. The checkout clerk pointed out it has the same
manufacturer's warranty as factory new, and they guaranteed it at the
store for 15 days. I was told that it was tested by Fry's service
department(HA HA!) and it was 100% OK. So, I decided to take the risk
and accept it since I could take it back within two weeks.

I ran into two problems: According to SpeedFan 4.38, it ran at
~~75C/~~170F idle at 1% CPU, and up to ~~96C/~~200F when running CPU
intensive apps. Previously, it had shut down a couple times due to
heat I believe. Reading a similar thread for cooling fan trouble in
this group lead me to permanantly set the fan to high speed in the
BIOS. This resulted in the temps dropping significantly, but still
too warm IMHO. Idle at 1% CPU ~~55C/~~130F, I haven't tested under
a heavy CPU load yet.

The second problem is when I connect HDDs to the GSATA (purple)
JMicron GBB36X connectors. The drive(s) go to "Read Only" after
working fine for hours. I've tried several different drives and
BIOS/chip settings, I always have the same result.

Of note, I had the same trouble with the GSATA JMicron controller on a
EP35-DS3R a year ago, XP/SP2/SP3 x32, Vista x64, and Server2008 x64. I
got an ASUS P5Q Pro to replace it, which has worked fine.

Anyone have similar problems with overheating? How did you fix them?

Anyone have trouble with HDDs connected to the GSATA (JMicron GBB36X)
chip? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Did Fry's screw me with a bad board?

Config:
GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6
Q6600 B0 Stepping, Intel stock fan
Windows 7 RC Build 7100, all updates from MS applied
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
HDDs are 2x150GB Velociraptors RAID0 on the Intel SATA chip.
Video ASUS GT8600

Thanks..
Jim Beam