Starwars Galaxies performance on TI4600 Ultra >in the toilet< after 53.03

Old December 13th 03, 04:23 AM
anon

Default Starwars Galaxies performance on TI4600 Ultra >in the toilet< after 53.03

Really disappointed.

On my machine with a 5900, 53.03 runs fine--would even say I'm seeing
a minor improvement in detail and fps.

But good lord, does 53.03 suck on my TI4600! Anyone having a similar
experience? I wonder if Nvidia intentionally broke it so everyone has
to go out and buy 5xxx series cards (or ATI).

Even after setting all game graphic options to crappy defaults, SWG is
still unplayable.

Old December 13th 03, 01:39 PM
phobos

anon wrote:
Really disappointed.

On my machine with a 5900, 53.03 runs fine--would even say I'm seeing
a minor improvement in detail and fps.

But good lord, does 53.03 suck on my TI4600! Anyone having a similar
experience? I wonder if Nvidia intentionally broke it so everyone has
to go out and buy 5xxx series cards (or ATI).

Even after setting all game graphic options to crappy defaults, SWG is
still unplayable.

It's most likely that up until now Galaxies had been using a workaround,
or "hack", to get around a driver bug or something that wasn't fully
supported. Now the new drivers are released and that gets broke. You
can go back to 52.16 or whatever driver worked for you. 53.03 doesn't
have any particular fixes that affect the GF3/4 series much.
Old December 13th 03, 05:14 PM
anon

OK the results of removing 53.03 completely, then installing 45.23 was
no better.

But I did end up finding a game option that I don't remember seeing.
It gave me the option to over-ride the default "Optimal" pixel shader
engine to revert to the SWG 1.1 pixel shader.

So I believe it's something Sony enhanced for Galaxies recently. And
apparently they're the ones making the assumption about the chipset.
Put 53.03 back and sticking with their 1.1 pixel shader for now.

Thanks.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:48:36 GMT, "Robert Pendell"
wrote:

I recommend downgrading the drivers for your TI4600 to 45.23 drivers.
Mostly because the 5x.xx drivers are setup for the FX series of cards rather
than the TI series.

Old December 14th 03, 12:55 AM
DaveW

The 53.03 driver is DX9 compatible. You Ti4600 card is NOT DX9 compatible.
Try using the 45.23 driver for stability with your card.

--
DaveW

Old December 14th 03, 05:19 AM
Athura

The Ti cards are DX9 Compatible. They are not DX9 Compliant

Old December 15th 03, 01:56 PM
Larry L.

The newer drivers fix some issues with TV out functionality on GF4 cards, so
there actually IS a reason to use newer drivers with these cards, which as
the other poster said, are DX9 "compatible" even if they don't utilize the
new DX9 features.

Larry

Old December 16th 03, 11:49 AM
T.D.Woolridge

wrote:

I recommend downgrading the drivers for your TI4600 to 45.23 drivers.
Mostly because the 5x.xx drivers are setup for the FX series of cards

rather
than the TI series.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:23:55 GMT, anon wrote:

Really disappointed.

On my machine with a 5900, 53.03 runs fine--would even say I'm seeing
a minor improvement in detail and fps.

But good lord, does 53.03 suck on my TI4600! Anyone having a similar
experience? I wonder if Nvidia intentionally broke it so everyone has
to go out and buy 5xxx series cards (or ATI).

Even after setting all game graphic options to crappy defaults, SWG is
still unplayable.

Yea i had the same problem with my TI4600 . i did the driver switching and
the customer service calls and i ended up puting the TI back in the box and
bought an FX 5600. the *******s at Nvidea got me . i do have to say that all
the glichie peculiarities are gone for the most part im pretty pleased withe
the new card.
i think Microsoft and Nvidea are the true evil empire.

Old January 13th 04, 04:43 PM
Beavis H. Christ

I'd say other than the water effects, I haven't noticed that much more
eye-candy...maybe the sky is prettier...other than that, nVidia can
suck a fart out of my butt.