How to change BIOS processor cache from write-through to write-back(P2B )?

Old July 9th 03, 09:18 PM
jbclem

Default How to change BIOS processor cache from write-through to write-back(P2B )?

I have a really bad problem with an erratic cursor. When it occurs I loose
control over the cursor, it moves erractically, all drop down menus become
corrupted, sometimes the cursor trails leave graphic holes in the foreground
program(showing through to the background program). The computer also slows
down tremendously when this is happening. Once it starts the only solution
is to reboot. It can happen when I go to certain java intensive web sites,
but not to others(that use java but not as intensively?). It can happen
immediately after rebooting, depending on what I do, or as right now not for
hours(if I'm very careful to avoid certain things like the web sites
mentioned).

The Microsoft Knowledge Base suggests a cause(in Win2000 which I use) for
this...when the BIOS processor cache is set to write-through instead of
write-back. I've looked into my BIOS cache(btw, I have the latest german
asus bios...and until a recent hard drive crash I've had no such problems
with the exact same Win2000 P3 1000mHz setup) and all I see is that I can
enable or disable two or three caches. Haven't tried that because I'm
looking for the write-through adjustment which I haven't found.

Does anyone have any ideas about this. Is it even possible to chance the
BIOS processor cache this way on a P2B? I would really appreciate some help
with this.

John

ps...I've reinstalled my mouse drivers with the latest ones. I've
reinstalled my graphics card driver(s). I've reinstalled Sun Java2 1.41(and
leave it unchecked in IE5.5). I've run the latest antivirus
definitions(Norton), I've run Spybot, Ad Aware, HBO Demon. So far the
knowledge base idea makes the most sense, I just don't know how to implement
it.

Old July 10th 03, 02:58 AM
EC

Have you tried knocking down the hardware acceleration a click for
your graphics card? I have a P2B-VT with a 1G PIII that did the same
thing when I upgraded it from a 650Mz. I dont see the Java being a
problem unless you have both the older MS virtual machine installed
with the SUN Java, that could cause a conflict if both processes try
to start at the same time.

I run Linux on the P2B-VT and just put a P4C800 Deluxe together a few
weeks ago running XP, 2.8G/800FSB/2-512 PC3200, love this box, very
stable @ 3G.

EC

"jbclem" wrote in message rthlink.net...
[...]

PATA -> Serial ATA convertors - do they always work ? ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 15 August 8th 04 01:32 PM
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L BIOS flashing problem Ante Lazarusic General 4 October 23rd 03 02:22 PM
PSU kills bios!? Michael General 15 October 7th 03 02:15 PM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM