How to exercise the Recovery Partition?

Old January 6th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike Marquis

Default How to exercise the Recovery Partition?

Sorry, don't have a manual here for my daughter's Insp 1720. We are giving
it to a cousin and I want to put it back to the original configuration.
Unfortunately google didn't help much. I tried F8 on bootup and there were a
lot of options but none said Restore. I tried Repair but it did not wipe the
HD.

Anyone remember offhand how to do this?

Mike

p.s. I could just install Vista fresh and I just might, but I thought it
would be convenient to try the Restore.

Old January 6th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Try the F12 key when the power on self tests are running. It used to
bring up a whole list of things the computer could boot to. If the
recovery partition is valid, it should show up.

William
Old January 6th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Old January 6th 09, 08:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike Marquis

Thanks Tom. Do I do this during boot-up like the other F2/F12 choices?

Mike

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Old January 6th 09, 08:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Well, yes, but that's for XP. Didn't realize it was Vista. SHOULD
still work.

Old January 6th 09, 10:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Well, yes, but that's for XP. Didn't realize it was Vista. SHOULD
still work.

For Vista he may have to do F8 instead, which will give him a WinVista GUI
with repair/restore choices - or should.

I think Vista killed the CTL+F11 hotkey combo that was used for XP.

Old January 6th 09, 10:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Mike Marquis" wrote in message
Thanks William. F12 brings up the boot-order menu. No Recovery partition
on it.

Mike

Try F8 again.....

F12 - in my experience - has never listed the restore partition but the
smaller 'utility partition'......

Old January 6th 09, 10:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_2_]

Here are the directions for my XPS M1330 laptop:

Dell Factory Image Restore
1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts, press F8 until the Advanced Boot Options
menu appears on the screen.
3. Press Down Arrow to select Repair Your Computer, then press Enter.
4. Specify the language settings you want, then click Next.
5. Log in as a user with Administrative credentials, then click OK
6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window click Next.
8. Select Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to
Factory Condition checkbox.
9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default facotry configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the
computer.

If you look hard enough, you should be able to find the .pdf of the
Owner's Manual for your computer on the Dell website. It's in the
Support section.

*TimDaniels*

Old January 6th 09, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Well, yes, but that's for XP. Didn't realize it was Vista. SHOULD
still work.

For Vista he may have to do F8 instead, which will give him a WinVista GUI
with repair/restore choices - or should.

I think Vista killed the CTL+F11 hotkey combo that was used for XP.

Should be still there, I did it for a friends Inspiron 530 Desktop recently
and it has Vista installed.