new uTune problems (version 5.05.38.00)

Old May 20th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Charles C. Shyu

Default new uTune problems (version 5.05.38.00)

Just upgraded from uTune 5.05.25.00 to 5.05.38.00, and now seem to have lost
the page in NVIDIA Control Panel where I can tune and overclock my GPU.

WinXP
GF 7950GT with 93.71 drivers

Anyone notice the same issue? Thanks!
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Old May 20th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
Just upgraded from uTune 5.05.25.00 to 5.05.38.00, and now seem to have lost
the page in NVIDIA Control Panel where I can tune and overclock my GPU.

WinXP
GF 7950GT with 93.71 drivers

Anyone notice the same issue? Thanks!

Yes, it's a nuisance

1) Go to this link and install the newer 94.24's (official WHQL for XP
and 7950GT)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

2) Download and install coolbits 2.0, the OC registry tweak for
Forceware drivers:

3) Download and install nhancer for full and chimp-easy control over
game application profiles

http://www.nhancer.com/

4) Do not install ntune after Forcewares, or you risk losing the
'classic' panel. You can still OC your card with the 'new' panel, but it
is such an awful piece of kit you do not want to encourage them, as they
keep adding more and more to the 'new' panel, with dubious result.

Old May 21st 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Charles C. Shyu

Yes, it's a nuisance

1) Go to this link and install the newer 94.24's (official WHQL for XP and
7950GT)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

2) Download and install coolbits 2.0, the OC registry tweak for Forceware
drivers:

3) Download and install nhancer for full and chimp-easy control over game
application profiles

http://www.nhancer.com/

4) Do not install ntune after Forcewares, or you risk losing the 'classic'
panel. You can still OC your card with the 'new' panel, but it is such an
awful piece of kit you do not want to encourage them, as they keep adding
more and more to the 'new' panel, with dubious result.

Thanks for your input. I am somewhat reluctant to install new programs that
I've never used before. I generally like to keep my program installs to a
minimum as to ensure compatibility and stability. But I'll look into
Coolbits as I hear a lot of talk about it, though I've never heard of anyone
using nhancer...

As for my uTune issue -- are you confirming that this is a known issue with
uTune 5.05.38.00 combined with the 93.71 drivers? I am using the new NVIDIA
Control Panel, not the classic view (and I'm now realizing that it won't
even let me change to classic view anymore).

Thanks again.

Old May 21st 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
[...]

Okie, I can understand and appreciate your concerns with installing
software you are unfamiliar with. Coolbits is a registry entry, it is an
unofficial official tweak, and I will post it here for you to highlight,
copy and past and save as COOLBITS2.REG :

REGEDIT4

; =======================
; Coolbits 2
; Installation File
; =======================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001
"NvCplTvLocaleAutoDetect"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableActiveApp"=dword:00000001
"DisableApplyColorsAtStartup"=dword:00000000
"NoMenus"=dword:00000000
"OverlayPageState"=dword:00000000
"CinematicPageState"=dword:000000ff
"NvCplThermalSettings"=dword:00000020
"NvCplEnableScreenMenuPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplCustomResConfig"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisablePerfQualPage"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableOverlaySpanControl"=dword:00000001
"TwinViewCapsOverride"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableDesktopOverlapPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage"=dword:0000000 1
"NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage"=dword:00000000
"NvCplDisableRotateAngles"=dword:00000000
"NoPages"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableClearViewPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableFanControl"=dword:00000003
"NvCplEnableFrameSyncPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablePwrMzrOnDesktopMenu"=dword:0000000 1
"NvCplEnableRotationColorSettings"=dword:00000 001
"NvCplNvThermPage"=dword:00000001
"PowermizerPreferences"=dword:00000000
"QTwkEnableModeChangeWarning"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL\Debug]
"ShaderObjects"=dword:00000001

Start at REGEDIT4 and End at dword:00000001, copy and paste it into
notepad as a TXT file, rename that file to coolbits2.reg, then right
click on coolbits2.reg and MERGE or INSTALL it. Or double click on the
file and answer yes when the registry editor asks you if you wish to add
the information to your registry.

If you do not understand this, do not do it. Ask someone for assistance
with making Registry changes until you know the risks and understand
there is no undo feature with registry changes.

nHancer is valuable to you if you want to effectively manage profiles to
multiple video games, individually setting filtering and pixel
properties such as FSAA and LOD BIAS for maximum benefit tailored to the
special considerations of the game title. nhancer also has special modes
of FSAA and other systemic fixes such as OpenGL compatibility strings,
not to mention it easily imports and exports profiles which is super
handy when you constantly change video drivers. Not to mention the
method in which nvidia handles game profiles is poor at best, broken at
worst. How many times must one click OK for a setting to stick? And who
enjoys having to guess if Apply actually applys the setting. nhancer
does away with all that, and it's free. The only drawback is you need
NET 2.0 installed, and I might not be able to convince you to install
NET 2.0 over your software-phobia, it too is free (And transparent and
hassle free I've used both 2.0 and 1.0 for a long time).

As for my uTune issue -- are you confirming that this is a known issue with
uTune 5.05.38.00 combined with the 93.71 drivers? I am using the new NVIDIA
Control Panel, not the classic view (and I'm now realizing that it won't
even let me change to classic view anymore).

Thanks again.

Yes according to forum reports and my personal experience, ntune
5.05.38.00 will overwrite your ability to access the classic nvidia
control panel, where the prior version of ntune would allow access to
the classic panel with e 93.71's. So far, the 94.24's do not display
this behavior, I can access the classic control panel with both
5.05.38.00 and 94.24 + coolbits2.

Reports vary on if reinstalling the 93.71's over ntune 5.05.38.00 and
then coolbits will reactivate the classic panel, some say it does, some
say it does not. It has not worked for me, but I only did it once and I
did not try it again after the 94.24's functioned well enough.

I suspect there is a silent war being waged regarding the new vs. the
classic control panel in the software labs. The new panel has more
combined functions, but eliminates critical features and makes often
used features more difficult and is clunky and not very polished. I find
myself always preferring the classic panel when I actually need to do
something with the driver. The new panel is fun for benchmarking the pc
against itself and easy access to mobo electrical properties.

HTH.

Old June 2nd 07, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Charles C. Shyu

I suspect there is a silent war being waged regarding the new vs. the
classic control panel in the software labs. The new panel has more
combined functions, but eliminates critical features and makes often used
features more difficult and is clunky and not very polished. I find myself
always preferring the classic panel when I actually need to do something
with the driver. The new panel is fun for benchmarking the pc against
itself and easy access to mobo electrical properties.

Wow -- again, thanks for all the info. I just uninstall 93.71 as well as
nTune, and then installed 94.24 + nTune, and all of the NVIDIA Control Panel
pages seem to be showing properly again. As for the "classic" vs. "new"
Control Panel, I used to hate the new look, but now I'm getting more and
more used to it, so now I don't mind it so much. Just a matter of getting
comfortable...

Thanks for you help!